Oh my Lanta! You better pack light ...

lephysteria

I have 2 cruises with booked airfare ( Continental) prior to the April 5th announcement. How will the person who checks your bags know you are exempt? This should be interesting!!!

The agent can see your booking date in the system but I always bring a print-out of my original receipt showing the date booked.

I was in the same situation with Continental several years ago when they decreased the weight limit per bag and I never had to show my receipt. The check-in agent was about to charge me for excess weight when I told him to look up my booking date. No charge! :cool:

I packed all 5 of us into 2 checked bags (50lbs. each) and everyone had their own backpack carry-on. I had two 13yo girls and a 10yo boy at the time. This was our very first cruise (7 nights) and 4 days at Disney prior plus 2 days of travel!!

I don't mean to be snippy if that's how this sounds, I am just wondering more so how everyone has such a hard time doing it? We did 2 nights of formals for everyone (the girls included 3 "just incase") DH and DS had suits. I don't get how one person needs so much?? I have to admit I thought at the time I had totally OVER packed, but the more I keep reading the more I am happy with myself.

I feel bad for all the husbands that have to lug all the wives bags around, while she is snapping through the airport for him to hurry up?

My rule was simple and applied to everyone in the house, if it didn't fit inside the backpack it didn't go, if the kids couldn't walk around the house (our trial run) for 20-30 min with it on without complaining it got emptied and re-packed to a lighter weight. The kids each brought hand held games, ipods and CD players, my pack included the portable DVD player and DH had the CD's and DVD's. And you know what, we had things we didn't even take out of the checked luggage the whole trip, so we overpacked.

I think if everyone just took a breathe and really thought it through, one checked bag and one carry-on is way more room than you need!!!

Good luck to all who rival this issue, on my last 2 cruises (alone, 5 nights) I have packed into one carry-on only, really, ask my travel companion!!!

Congratulations. I don't know how you did it. Because I just went on a one week cruise and I had two suit cases for clothing (and souvenirs) plus a backpack for carry on. When I got back all that I did not wear were two socks, two underwear and some warm clothing. Are you wearing the same clothing more than once? Are you doing laundry?

I also did a two week with the same amount of luggage. The only difference is I did laundry during the cruise and when I got back everything except some warm clothing had been worn.

I tried a three night cruise with a carry on only. It all would have fit except the suit and formal shoes. So I had to go with one larger piece of luggage.

Maybe its the shoes. I have the formal shoes, the every day shoes and the water/deck shoes. Shoes take up a lot of room and I am not wearing formal shoes or deck or water shoes to walk around town in. I'm not wearing formal shoes or tennis shoes in the water, and tennis shoes or water shoes don't really go with my suite and tie. I bring a different shirt for every day, two pair of pants plus the formal pants and enough socks and underwear so I have an new one for everyday.

I don't do laundry on a one week cruise and given the $30 cost for six days of laundry one the two week cruise, next time I'll pack enough so I don't have to do laundry.

As to weight, the two suit cases combined weighed 56 pounds on departure. Most likely more on the return because of all the souvenirs. Fortunately I was flying first class, so having two checked bags was no extra charge.

However, the airline for my next cruise just changed the luggage policy the day after I booked, and for that one I paid extra for more leg room, but it is still a single class for the entire plane. So we will see what happens when I check in. Still, $20 each way is not that big of a deal.

Congratulations. I don't know how you did it. Because I just went on a one week cruise and I had two suit cases for clothing (and souvenirs) plus a backpack for carry on. When I got back all that I did not wear were two socks, two underwear and some warm clothing. Are you wearing the same clothing more than once? Are you doing laundry?

I also did a two week with the same amount of luggage. The only difference is I did laundry during the cruise and when I got back everything except some warm clothing had been worn.

I tried a three night cruise with a carry on only. It all would have fit except the suit and formal shoes. So I had to go with one larger piece of luggage.

Maybe its the shoes. I have the formal shoes, the every day shoes and the water/deck shoes. Shoes take up a lot of room and I am not wearing formal shoes or deck or water shoes to walk around town in. I'm not wearing formal shoes or tennis shoes in the water, and tennis shoes or water shoes don't really go with my suite and tie. I bring a different shirt for every day, two pair of pants plus the formal pants and enough socks and underwear so I have an new one for everyday.

I don't do laundry on a one week cruise and given the $30 cost for six days of laundry one the two week cruise, next time I'll pack enough so I don't have to do laundry.

As to weight, the two suit cases combined weighed 56 pounds on departure. Most likely more on the return because of all the souvenirs. Fortunately I was flying first class, so having two checked bags was no extra charge.

However, the airline for my next cruise just changed the luggage policy the day after I booked, and for that one I paid extra for more leg room, but it is still a single class for the entire plane. So we will see what happens when I check in. Still, $20 each way is not that big of a deal.

You should be OK if you pack the way you have previously, Check one suitcase, carry on a 22" carry-on sized case and carry-on your backback. you are allowed one carry-on and one personal bag which a backpack is considered.

I just did something similar for a bowling tournament I went to, I checked 1 2-ball bag and my luggage and carried on a small 2-ball tote and my backpack. No problem at all (other than trying to carry 2 bowling balls over one shoulder and my backpack over the other. Luckily we flew AA so we could check 2 bags.

I packed all 5 of us into 2 checked bags (50lbs. each) and everyone had their own backpack carry-on. I had two 13yo girls and a 10yo boy at the time. This was our very first cruise (7 nights) and 4 days at Disney prior plus 2 days of travel!!

I don't mean to be snippy if that's how this sounds, I am just wondering more so how everyone has such a hard time doing it? We did 2 nights of formals for everyone (the girls included 3 "just incase") DH and DS had suits. I don't get how one person needs so much?? I have to admit I thought at the time I had totally OVER packed, but the more I keep reading the more I am happy with myself.

I feel bad for all the husbands that have to lug all the wives bags around, while she is snapping through the airport for him to hurry up?

My rule was simple and applied to everyone in the house, if it didn't fit inside the backpack it didn't go, if the kids couldn't walk around the house (our trial run) for 20-30 min with it on without complaining it got emptied and re-packed to a lighter weight. The kids each brought hand held games, ipods and CD players, my pack included the portable DVD player and DH had the CD's and DVD's. And you know what, we had things we didn't even take out of the checked luggage the whole trip, so we overpacked.

I think if everyone just took a breathe and really thought it through, one checked bag and one carry-on is way more room than you need!!!

Good luck to all who rival this issue, on my last 2 cruises (alone, 5 nights) I have packed into one carry-on only, really, ask my travel companion!!!

We really over-pack, I guess I'm high maintenance :D I do however help my hubby carry the luggage ;)

Heck I just spent three night in Denver and needed a checked bag (which was quite big) in addition to my carryon. I did have everything I needed ;)

###

Archived