Cavetubing Question

Massman

We are going to be in Belize in June and have decided on the cavetubing.

- Does anyone know if they provide lockers for personal items to keep them dry?

- Any recommendations for a camera to be able to take pictures? I was looking at waterproof bags as an option.

Thanks!

I bought an Olympus Stylus 790SW specifically for our cruise. It is a little 7.1mp digital point and shoot, that took great pictures while snorkeling, cave-tubing and swimming with the dolphins. It is waterproof down to 10 ft, and shockproof. It has several presets that made it extremely easy to use, especially while snorkeling because those darn fish just don't stay in one place and pose for you! The flash was too weak to take pictures of inside the caves, but I think anything short of a professional mega flash, the caves are too big.

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Stylus-790SW-Waterproof-Orange/dp/B000UW3DB6/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1208875260&sr=8-3

. . . (I bought an Olympus 770 SW myself ["waterproof to thirty feet," 7.1 MP], WITH Olympus' "professional underwater mega flash"--which IS excellent for fill flash while snorkeling or diving, by the way--), Travel Angel is right: there are disposable underwater cameras with built-in flash [which are NOT digital--but if for example you have them processed by Kodak you can request a CD-ROM be made of the pictures, and with that you can put them right into your computer if you wish]; most of these I believe have ISO 800 film, which will pick up quite a bit of light in low-light conditions. Price for these cameras usually runs from $10-$20 US.

It is also true, however, that the caverns here are quite large inside and entirely dark except for the lights you carry with you, so to light them to "American [Kodak baby picture] standards" you would actually need a number of professional flash units firing at the same time (either "slaves," or preplaced, wired units). Best bet is to take pictures outside the caves, or entering and leaving the caves--where sunlight spill is very helpful--and making the assumption that successful flash pictures INSIDE the caves will have to be of the objects nearest to you--certainly within eight to ten feet. ;)

For the truly zealous, of course, Olympus has an Olympus Stylus 1030 SW due out in April 2008, "waterproof to 30 feet," 10.1 MP. But even the flash on that camera is not going to fill up any caverns! :D

Archived