Considering NCL - question about freestyle

ballet2410

I have only been on Royal Caribbean, and I have three cruises booked with them in the future. However, we are thinking about dropping our Thanksgiving cruise with Royacl Caribbean and going with NCL.

I was curious about the dinner attire. I know it says freestyle, but I am not sure what that means. My family enjoys dressing up for formal night (tux and gowns) and that is important when I look for a cruise to book.

Is there a formal night? Do you see anyone in Tuxedos and Gowns?

What do they have to do one the ship (Majesty specifically)?

I would appreciate any info as I am just now looking into NCL.

no real "formal" night..it's a "dress up if you want" night. everything from the normal resort causal you see the other nights, to formals and tux. most fill be some where 'tween..after 5 dresses and suits. they will have photo ops set up..most of those that dress up will be in that area...time for family portaits.

i used to say to expect 40% to be dressed up, but with the new limits on luggage (for flying), i expect that to drop. formal clothes take up so much room in the luggage, i would think some will be going with only resort casual, to prevent the charge for the extra luggage.

BUT you are more then welcome to dress-up, it that's why pleases you.

they have a dress up or not night, I saw a mix, no tuxes though, suits mostly if the men dressed up. We went to Le Bistro that night so more people were dressed up in there than not, you wouldn't feel out of place either way, but just know that some could be in jeans next to you in your suit.

I have only been on Royal Caribbean, and I have three cruises booked with them in the future. However, we are thinking about dropping our Thanksgiving cruise with Royacl Caribbean and going with NCL.

I was curious about the dinner attire. I know it says freestyle, but I am not sure what that means. My family enjoys dressing up for formal night (tux and gowns) and that is important when I look for a cruise to book.

Is there a formal night? Do you see anyone in Tuxedos and Gowns?

What do they have to do one the ship (Majesty specifically)?

I would appreciate any info as I am just now looking into NCL.

As for dinner attire on a regular basis it mostly consists of resort casual. Pants, capri's, skirts for women with nice tops (no need for hose, heels, cocktail dresses unless it's preferred). And for men, khaki's, casual pants, collar shirts are the norm. They actually allow jeans now (nice and no holes, etc.) in all but one dining room. And as others have said the 'formal' night is labeled as 'dress up, or not' night. I've seen a good mix of people who prefer to dress and some who don't. On most of my cruises there have been more people dressed up than not. Lot's of picture taking, etc.

As for the Majesty, she is an older and smaller ship but she has quite a following from those that enjoy her. You won't find the glitz and glamour of the larger and newer ships, but she's a wonderful ship. She wasn't specifically built for freestyle so there aren't many of the alternative restaurants as there are on the newer one's. There is Le Bistro and the Italian restaurant along with the 2 main dining rooms and buffet area. Also a nice pizzeria type place for pizza, hamburgers, fries and such.

The freestyle dining is that you don't have a set time for dinner. You don't choose at 6:00 or 8:00, you simply go to the restaurants when you want to have dinner and ask for whatever size table you want. At Le Bistro you do need a reservation and there is a surcharge. At the Italian restaurant you need a reservation because its a smaller venue but there is no surcharge.

The activities are mostly the same you'd find on any other ship. Shows and entertainment, art auctions, bingo, etc.

There are many who will be on the upcoming Majesty Bermuda sailings soon and I'm sure they'll be leaving a review so be sure to look for them. Have fun whatever you decide.:)

Archived