Formal Nights

Lowie

How formal are formal nights on MSC? I've also read that the buffet is closed on the "Gala" nights so there is no alternative if you don't want to get dressed up, is this true?

We cruised the Caribbean on the Opera in 2007 and wore shorts and flip flops to dinner without anyone even looking twice. I figure I'm on VACATION and will dress how I feel appropriate. The Matr'd had no problem with our "Casual" dress and accommodated our every need. We even noticed that after we "broke the Ice" with the dress code more people started to relax the way they dressed for dinner. Bottom line....Have fun!!!!!

I agree entirely. I consider it a discourtesy to other diners to present oneself inappropriately dressed when one is clearly aware of the dress code.

I also consider it MSC's contract with me the client, to ensure that the dress code is followed. Passengers who arrived at the dining room dressed in beachwear should have been redirected up to the pool deck where they could have been served food to their taste.

MSC's failure to enforce the agreed dress code is again another example of their poor management skills.

On our cruise people did dress up on Formal Night and there were enough guys wearing tuxes.

The buffet is closed on formal nights. LIrica says that it is in order for everyone to enjoy the Gala menu.

The Pizzeria is open until 8:30 and there is often something going on at 11:30. On the formal night program that I looked at it was crepes and ice cream flambe. There is also room service, but it has a very limited menu.

On casual night, the dress code says that shorts and caps are no permitted in the restaurants. We never saw anybody inappropriately dressed, but I certainly expect them to enforce the dress code.

BTW - I recently put some menus up on my blog.

macruise

I understand formal but on the other nights what would you suggest?

It depends where the ship is sailing what the dress code for the other evenings will be. I was recently on the Lirica's 17 night repositioning voyage and there were 4 formal (Gala) evenings and the rest were casual. On other cruises I've been on with them (especially in Europe) there have been a mix of Informal and casual as well as formal. On all their ships they usually say no shorts after 6pm in any of the restaurant or bars. How strictly they enforce it, I don't know but I would say that the vast majority observe the dress code.

For casual - men slacks and open neck shirt/polo shirt ( they prefer no jeans), ladies capri pants/slcks and t shirt blouse. Informal is smarter than casual but less formal than gala. many me will wear a jacket but no tie others may. With ladies they will be smarter and some may wear dresses. I have to say I saw a fair range of dress codes on the casual nights on the last cruise but that may have been because a lot of us Europeans that had cruised with MSC before were expecting informal evenings too and just ran out of more casual clothing and wore more formal wear because that's what we packed.

I do agree with the other people about observing dress codes. I have absolutely no problem with people who hate formal wear and don't want to wear it on holiday. There are plenty of cruiselines that cater for that. If you don't want to do gala/evening wear and you know there isn't an alternative dining option on that cruise line, then don't book to go on it, book one that lets you dress the way yo want. I love the fomal evenings and therefore choose cruise companies that give you the opportiunity to do so. I find it really disrespectful when people totally ignore the dress code. Ok lecture/moan over!

Clarifications...

For the formal nights... Can my husband wear a nice suit and me a formal/cocktail dress?

For the casual nights... I am assuming cargo pants are not "smart" enough, lol. My husband insists that he is bringing cargo pants galore. He does not even own a pair of slacks! He is military, so he has tons of uniforms, but no slacks. On his off time, it is cargo pants and t-shirts.

Aye-aye-aye. ;) Thanks for any help. And I am sorry if I am hijacking this thread. I do not mean to.

Clarifications...

For the formal nights... Can my husband wear a nice suit and me a formal/cocktail dress?

For the casual nights... I am assuming cargo pants are not "smart" enough, lol. My husband insists that he is bringing cargo pants galore. He does not even own a pair of slacks! He is military, so he has tons of uniforms, but no slacks. On his off time, it is cargo pants and t-shirts.

Aye-aye-aye. ;) Thanks for any help. And I am sorry if I am hijacking this thread. I do not mean to.

Hi PurpleRain

All of what you say above is absolutely fine. You'll find a range of dress under both formal and casual, so don't worry about really rigid rules.

Archived