Help!!! Potential Pink Eye

StaySea

:mad: OK not really sure if I am looking for advice, venting or what....but got home from work today & DS (4) has runny eyes (with green gook)!!! No redness yet bu complaining about them being itching & watery!!!! We leave on SAT for LOS......I know I know it could be worse......I guess I just want the vacation to be perfect & I have visions of my poor lil guy being banned from AO, being miserable, you get the picture....Then again:rolleyes: he was in the sand box today & is was unseasonably warm so maybe he got sand in his eyes or it's allergies.....Ahhhh thanx I feel soo much better now....It will be fine, we'll have a GREAT vacation I know.....;)

our son got pink eye the week of our cruise last feb....we got the eye drops immediately and by the time we left on the cruise he was fine...

so my advice is to start the eye drops as soon as possible.... they will work and you will have a great trip

thanx for the words of encouragment! He just woke up crying & it's PINK EYE poor lil things eyes are glues shut....Time to get the drops.....I know it will all work out.....I plan & plan & plan....but some things you just can't plan for......it's all good in 3 days we'll be on the ship....

I used to work for an eye doctor and generally with drops he will get relief and not be contagious after about 48 hours. Wash bedding (everyone's) and hands frequently. I know this is futile, but don't let him rub his eyes. lol Talk to your doctor about extra drops in case you or anyone else would get it (don't share eye drops) and a warm washcloth over the eyes will help with itching and will help keep them draining well. Good luck.

generally with drops he will get relief and not be contagious after about 48 hours.

I was just about to say that. Get those drops started and he will be fine by Saturday. He won't be banned from anywhere. ;)

I wish I was cruising with you on Saturday! Have a blast! Remember, I am living vicariously through you. I expect you to have a perfectly wonderful time and come back to tell me all about it. :D

(darn I forgot I was suppose to be on LOS this Saturday until I read your post :( )

:mad: OK not really sure if I am looking for advice, venting or what....but got home from work today & DS (4) has runny eyes (with green gook)!!! No redness yet bu complaining about them being itching & watery!!!! We leave on SAT for LOS......I know I know it could be worse......I guess I just want the vacation to be perfect & I have visions of my poor lil guy being banned from AO, being miserable, you get the picture....Then again:rolleyes: he was in the sand box today & is was unseasonably warm so maybe he got sand in his eyes or it's allergies.....Ahhhh thanx I feel soo much better now....It will be fine, we'll have a GREAT vacation I know.....;)

24 hours after you start antibiotic eye drops you are not contagious.

I found that, after 3 days of treatment, a little visine really helps remove the red. You may want to consider that if you find yourself on the ship with a kid with two red eyes and are afraid that AO wont let him play if they hear he is being treated for pink eye. Since he isnt contagious, there is no harm in removing the red so you dont have to explain.

http://www.cafcc.org/10conjunc.html

<snip>

When is it contagious?

Conjunctivitis is contagious only when it is caused by bacteria or viruses; not by chemicals or allergies. Infectious conjunctivitis is contagious from 1-2 days before the symptoms appear until 24 hours after antibiotic treatment is started (for bacterial conjunctivitis); and there is no redness or discharge from the eyes (for viral conunctivitis). After exposure to conjunctivitis, it usually takes 2-3 days to develop the infection.

</snip>

I was just about to say that. Get those drops started and he will be fine by Saturday. He won't be banned from anywhere. ;)

I wish I was cruising with you on Saturday! Have a blast! Remember, I am living vicariously through you. I expect you to have a perfectly wonderful time and come back to tell me all about it. :D

(darn I forgot I was suppose to be on LOS this Saturday until I read your post :( )

;) Got the eye drops!!!! Was at the dosc today!!! Seems to be getting better already!!!! We are all soo excited for this trip, he has already packed his pirate eye patch!!! I will tell you all about it when we get back, I so wish you were sailing with us so I could meet you in person & Thank You:) for all your advice & support all the way!

Thanx to everyone for helping in my moment of panic:D LOS here we come....

;) Got the eye drops!!!! Was at the dosc today!!! Seems to be getting better already!!!! We are all soo excited for this trip, he has already packed his pirate eye patch!!! I will tell you all about it when we get back, I so wish you were sailing with us so I could meet you in person & Thank You:) for all your advice & support all the way!

Awww you're welcome :)

Hey don't forget to tell him that he not only can wear his patch, but they will paint his face and give him a genuine pirate bandana. ARRRRRGHHHHHHH :D

IMG_0789.jpg

I think the OP has already left for her cruise and hopefully they are having a WONDERFUL time.

Eye drops are the best, but I also wanted to suggest camomile tea is very soothing and seems to help clear up my kids eyes when I could not get to a doctor right away. Brew the tea and chill in the fridge. Using a clean cotton pad (one for each eye!) wipe gently. If the kids are willing have them lie down for a few minutes with the pad over each eye.

Archived