roll call 12/21 costa mediterrenea

jon04072

Hi Diane.

Dionisio on Bacca Deck sounds just fine. Thanks for getting us on target. I just checked my ticket and it indicated early sitting dinner was at 7:00. I've never seen early sitting that late before, but assuming it is accuate, I suppose we could start looking for one another around 6:00/6:15. That will give plenty of time for those at first sitting to get to dinner on time, and those at second sitting still have time to go back to their cabin to prepare for dinner. If for any reason the schedule is one hour earlier, we can just meet one hour earlier (5:00/5:15). Please confirm that this will be on Wednesday the 22nd.

Looking forward to saying hello to you and the rest of the Cruise Critic folks on this sailing. And no, I don't think we need to wear the dreaded red carnation! We may have to ask every fellow passenger if they are from Cruise Critic before we find one another, but hey, who cares?

Regards,

Jeanne

Hi everyone...does anyone know how many "formal" nights there are on this cruise (12/21)? I had heard two...but I am thinking that there is only one!

I thought early seating was 6:15 p.m.

This is my very first cruise, so I am looking forward to it!!

We look forward to meeting everyone on 12/22 (Wednesday). Keep us posted as to when & where.

Thanks,

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl.

I too thought first sitting dinner was 6:15, but I checked my ticket (page 42) and it says 7:00. I've never seen that hour before.

As for formal nights. I can't find that information anywhere for a five night cruise. I can only guess that both Christmas Eve and Christmas night would be formal. It kind of makes since so I am planning for it. Maybe someone on that trip this week or next will see this board and let us know.

Regards,

Jeanne

Our documents mistakenly had our group down for late seating and it was noted that this was to be at 9:00 pm. When we called our travel agent to change to early seating we asked about the unusually late dining time. She stated that this was incorrect and that early dinnner was at 6:00 and late was at 8:00. So now I'm totally confused, but as long as we're at early seating (we've got kids along), I'm happy.

I don't know about the formal night(s.) I'm hoping for two but have seen other lines only have one on a cruise that's less than a week long. Are any of the men out there bringing tuxedos? Our group will be split between tuxes/dark suits. My husband will be in a tux, but we'll bring along a suit in case of the second formal night.

Look forward to meeting you all on the 22nd!

Counting the days.........

Shannon

Dionisio on Bacca deck at 6:00(7:00dinner) or 5:00(6:00).

For the formal nigth , does it has to be a dark suit? What are the other options?

I have never been in a cruise before and by reading CCritics I read diferent sugestions and getting woried because it is getting soooo close.

Any ideas will help.

Maria

I had my mother check my cruise tickets (I had my agent send my tickets to Florida)...(my parents winter in Florida, I am in Winnipeg, Canada) & she tells me early dining is 6:15 p.m. (at least according to my tickets).

We are taking formal wear for one formal evening only...if there are two formal evenings, then I guess we wear the same outfit twice...oh well!! Nothing like packing light!!!

Also, does anyone know what there is to do in Port Progresso?? I tried to do some research, but was unsuccesful.

Look forward to meeting everybody on the 22nd.

Cheryl

Hi everyone.

It looks like we will not know for sure what time early sitting dinner is until we are on board and check out our daily program (called "Today"). Therefore, whatever the stated time is for dinner (6:00, 6:15, or 7:00), just plan to go to the Dionisio Lounge 45 minutes to an hour prior to that time. I don't think we can go wrong. By the way, the non-smoking section is along the window side of the room. The smoking section is at the bar and close to the dance floor.

Cheryl, re: Progreso--believe it or not, I was there last February but can't for the life of me remember what it was like. I don't believe I disembarked so I am of no help. Sorry.

As for formal dressing. It really is a personal choice (like tipping--LOL). Anyway, I admire you for traveling light. Your are very wise. I have been overdoing it for too many years and believe me, it has rarely been worth it.

Santanesia, I wish I knew for sure how to advise you, but I suspect if it is a formal night then a dark suit would be appropriate, especially because it is a holiday.

Shannon, I'm on this trip solo, so I can't address what other guys are going to wear, but it sounds like your husband has a plan.

See you all in two weeks, unless I can't resist the temptation to see you again on the board.

Regards,

Jeanne

Glad to see everyone back on the board and look forward to meeting you all on Wednesday, the 22nd, 45 minutes to an hour before early seating. We'll be doing the late seating and I hope it isn't at 9:00 or I'll starve!

My husband always brings his Tux on cruises. It's about the only time he ever wears it. It's been a while since we sailed with Costa, but on most other lines we've been on lately, people don't dress up as much as they used to, so a lighter suit is probably OK. I don't think they'll kick you out of the dining room if you're wearing a suit or sport coat and slacks with a tie.

I think we've decided to rent cars and do it on our own at both ports. None of the excursions sounded that great for the price. It was a lot harder to find any good information on these ports than for others we've been to, so we'll just play it by ear.

See y'all soon!

Diane

[/Quote] Also, does anyone know what there is to do in Port Progresso?? I tried to do some research, but was unsuccesful.

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

I was on the Mediterranea last Feb., in Progresso, we took one of the mayan ruins tour with the ship, it was an all day tour, I believe there were two to choose from. They also offered a tour of the city of Merida, and a Jeep Hacienda tour, a earlier poster suggested you try Yucatantoday.com web site, they have a lot of wonderful info. on the area. The pier in Progresso is 5 miles long, so you can't just get off and wander around, you have to take transporation just to get off the pier. The only thing to do at the other end of the pier is sit on the beach, a lot of people liked it and said beer was only a dollar. Water wasn't clear enough to do snorkling.

Chronic travelitis: We had late seating and couldn't even get in the dinning room until 8:50pm, and some nights we weren't out of there until 11:00pm. That was way to late for me, but we enjoyed the food very much.

Everyone have a great cruise, wish I was going again:p

Kim

Now it's crunch time...dry cleaning has to go out tomorrow so I need to decide today what I'm definitely bringing. Are we supposed to bring togas for some sort of toga party? Not that I have one, but I was wondering what that is all about.

Anyone know what the policy is on bringing wrapped presents? I haven't flown in awhile but remember the rule about presents having to be unwrapped.

Hope you are all as excited as we all are. Can't wait 'til next week!

Counting the days......

Shannon

Oops, I forgot the second part of your question. It's probably not a good idea to wrap your gifts before flying, because they could decide to unwrap them when they check your luggage. I'm just doing gift bags instead of wrapping the little gifts we'll share on board on Christmas. We'll open the others before we leave.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my earlier postings. I look forward to meeting everyone on the Dionisio on the Bacca Deck this Wednesday, Dec. 22nd one hour prior to early seating for dinner. (We will confirm the early dinner time when we are on-board).

Jon...thanks for a great site...it looks like the DZIBILCHALTUN RUINS it is...

Doesn't look like there is too many other things to do in Progresso/Merida, except for perhaps shop...which wouldn't be my husbands first choice!!!!

We've done a bit of research, & the Ruins looks like the best choice for us!

See you on the 21st/22nd!

Cheryl

Hope everyone had a fantastic cruise. Sorry we missed meeting everyone, that surprise formal night through us all in a little tizzy. Great cruise, I'll write up a review when we've had a chance to settle back in. Hope you are all home safely and have a Happy New Year!

Shannon

Archived