Staff Salary

I keep reading about tipping, whether we should give extra, less, etc.... While on our recent Navigator cruise, we heard that the waiters/stateroom attendants make $50.00 per month salary. Not sure if this is accurate, but it seems they rely on our tips to survive. They travel 6 months at a time, go home for 2 months and then back on for several months. We gave all of our staff extra cash in addition to the vouchers, so those of you thinking of leaving some of the staff out, please rethink.... they work VERY hard and are VERY attentive.... And NO, I am not a cruise employee, never was or will be, but I did wait tables in college for a few years so I do understand.....

From my understanding, wait staff are paid $100 a week and docked $50 a week for breakage (even if they don't break anything). Which works out to $50 a week.

Essentially, their income comes entirely from tipping. That is why the tipping threads are often so controversial. Some people think that the service is included and that tipping is just that, above and beyond salary. The reality is that for most cruiselines, the tip is the salary.

Keep in mind that the staff is not forced to work on a cruiseship... They choose it... They are fully aware of the compensation and travel requirements.... in fact, those are two big reasons why they choose this line of work in the first place...

It's a lifestyle they choose, which is why so many of them have been working on ships for YEARS!!!

Keep in mind that the staff is not forced to work on a cruiseship... They choose it... They are fully aware of the compensation and travel requirements.... in fact, those are two big reasons why they choose this line of work in the first place...

It's a lifestyle they choose, which is why so many of them have been working on ships for YEARS!!!

And those who have been there for years are doing very well financially when we do our part and tip appropriately for the service we receive.

Over the years the majority of my servers and cabin stewards have been excellent and I have tipped appropriately.

I never pre-pay tips before boarding the ship!

I wait until I have been onboard a day or two and if all is well with the service I am receiving, then I go to the Customer Service Desk and have the standard tips added to my Sea Pass. For really Outstanding Service, I add extra cash to the envelope.

On one occasion, I had a really rotten Table Waiter. The Assistant Waiter tried to make up for it but could not. I tipped the Waiter $1 and doubled the Assistant Waiter's tip because he tried his best. I also informed the Head Waiter that I had tipped my Waiter only $1 and why.

I keep reading about tipping, whether we should give extra, less, etc.... While on our recent Navigator cruise, we heard that the waiters/stateroom attendants make $50.00 per month salary. Not sure if this is accurate, but it seems they rely on our tips to survive. They travel 6 months at a time, go home for 2 months and then back on for several months. We gave all of our staff extra cash in addition to the vouchers, so those of you thinking of leaving some of the staff out, please rethink.... they work VERY hard and are VERY attentive.... And NO, I am not a cruise employee, never was or will be, but I did wait tables in college for a few years so I do understand.....
Yes, like a lot of people in the US, they rely on tips for a large portion of their salaries. However, unlike a lot of people in the US who rely on tips, cruise ship workers get free room, board, and medical care.

And yes, they work hard for their money, work hard for it honey.

This is an area I definitely waffle on. I do understand that the staff depend almost solely on tips, but I also don't believe in tipping well for POOR service. Over the years we've had very good service, but also some really bad service, and I tip accordingly.

The only really grey area for me is when you don't use a service at all. For our upcoming cruise I don't plan on using the dining room at all - should I go in the first afternoon to make sure they're aware of this (and can give our seats to someone who might want them)? Since we'll be eating in Windjammer - I'd like to tip there, what's the best way to do this? I'm not really comfortable just leaving money on the table.

For our upcoming cruise I don't plan on using the dining room at all - should I go in the first afternoon to make sure they're aware of this (and can give our seats to someone who might want them)? Since we'll be eating in Windjammer - I'd like to tip there, what's the best way to do this? I'm not really comfortable just leaving money on the table.

Kudos to you for wanting to even check into this! I don't have firsthand experience or knowledge of the "real" answer, but your idea of speaking to the dining room maitre d' the first day is an excellent one. I'll bet he'd even be able to suggest how to tip in the Windjammer-- or if not, perhaps they can advise you at the purser's desk.

We had a waiter for our table which was great! We over tipped him and gave some to the asst waiter we were at table 311, and we loved mr. Salada, from the Phillipines, he was so smart and sweet. the only one I had alittle trouble was the Luncheon waiter his name was Xeophona from India he made snide remarks at me about the Barley soup, a few days ago.:confused: and I could not understand, why he did that. Then he made a comment that he was NOT going to get a tip from us since its only lunch and not our regular wait staff.

OUR head waiter was so funny too, he would tell us jokes and make us feel so warm and comfy:D so overall, we love this ship.

Want to do the transatlantic once we have more time to travel in 2 yrs. or less.

Regarding tipping, I went on my first cruise last October :D and had really wonderful service all aorund. A question I had for an exceptional bartender was if by tipping extra via the seapass if it went directly to him. He said yes but I wanted to verify with you guys. I have no reason to not believe him but you never know what he is supposed to say. I wanted him to personally receive extra. Thanks for your help!

This is an area I definitely waffle on. I do understand that the staff depend almost solely on tips, but I also don't believe in tipping well for POOR service. Over the years we've had very good service, but also some really bad service, and I tip accordingly.

The only really grey area for me is when you don't use a service at all. For our upcoming cruise I don't plan on using the dining room at all - should I go in the first afternoon to make sure they're aware of this (and can give our seats to someone who might want them)? Since we'll be eating in Windjammer - I'd like to tip there, what's the best way to do this? I'm not really comfortable just leaving money on the table.

The dining room waitstaff also works in the Windjammer, thus the tip should not be reduced regardless of where you dine. IMO the standard tip should be the minimum, regardless of service or lack there of. These are folks who work their butts off to insure you have a great vacation. They work 6mos, 10+ hours a day (typically 2 5hr shifts per day for room attendants and waitstaff)... and do not get a day off during their 6 month term. Their only opportunity to get off the ship is between shifts on port days.

I also agree with tipping well for good service - on a cruise ship or anywhere else. But one thing you have to remember regarding cruise ship salaries is that most of these workers are from much poorer countries than the US and $50 per week may be a comparable salary or even much better salary than what they could get paid otherwise in their home country. A couple of hundred dollars per week in salary and tips for someone from a third world country is a very respectable salary and allows them to provide for entire extended families. Also, like someone mentioned before - they do get free room and board as well. So, yes they rely on tips. But not to the extent that some would have you believe.

boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=756323&page=2&highlight=salary

This was discussed in another thread but the amounts for waiters seem to be much higher.

Quote:

Originally Posted by michigan tim

So we do the math on the head waiter... we'll say 3400pax/11 head waiters = 309pax per head waiter.

309 pax x $.75 = $231.75 per day

$231.75 x 7days = $1622.25 per week

A couple of wrong assumptions here Tim. First of all the stiff rate on mass market lines is about 20% in total, and probably more for the head waiter, secondly it is a tip pool. A head waiter can make about $3500.00 -$3800.00 /month, a waiter a few hundred less and so on. I have a link to cruise ship earnings at home.

The dining room waitstaff also works in the Windjammer, thus the tip should not be reduced regardless of where you dine. IMO the standard tip should be the minimum, regardless of service or lack there of. These are folks who work their butts off to insure you have a great vacation. They work 6mos, 10+ hours a day (typically 2 5hr shifts per day for room attendants and waitstaff)... and do not get a day off during their 6 month term. Their only opportunity to get off the ship is between shifts on port days.

I absolutely do not agree with this. And grated a lot of them do work their butts off but many do not. If the service is poor you are not doing future cruisers any good by tipping that person at least the minimum. People that work on tips know, or should know, that their tip is determined by the level of service they provide. If they do well they are tipped well, by most anyway. And if they do poorly they should be tipped poorly to help them recognize that their service needs to be upped. I've recently had terrible service from a cabin steward and mediocre service from the wait staff. The tipped industry chooses that line of work and if they are not willing to provide a high level of service to their customers then their tips will reflect this. JMHO:)

I also agree with tipping well for good service - on a cruise ship or anywhere else. But one thing you have to remember regarding cruise ship salaries is that most of these workers are from much poorer countries than the US and $50 per week may be a comparable salary or even much better salary than what they could get paid otherwise in their home country. A couple of hundred dollars per week in salary and tips for someone from a third world country is a very respectable salary and allows them to provide for entire extended families. Also, like someone mentioned before - they do get free room and board as well. So, yes they rely on tips. But not to the extent that some would have you believe.

Yes they get free room and board but many of them have families at home and they are sending the house/rent/utilities payment back to them. That being said, I believe in tipping relative to service provided. And I hate it when they give you a hard luck story because I'm just suspicious! And I've heard a few over the years.

I absolutely do not agree with this. And grated a lot of them do work their butts off but many do not. If the service is poor you are not doing future cruisers any good by tipping that person at least the minimum. People that work on tips know, or should know, that their tip is determined by the level of service they provide. If they do well they are tipped well, by most anyway. And if they do poorly they should be tipped poorly to help them recognize that their service needs to be upped. I've recently had terrible service from a cabin steward and mediocre service from the wait staff. The tipped industry chooses that line of work and if they are not willing to provide a high level of service to their customers then their tips will reflect this. JMHO:)

I agree with this statement! To each their own - if someone wants to give a tip for substandard service - that is their choice. But I personally tip according to service and will continue to do so. Tipping is a personal matter and really - everyone should respect other's rights to tip as they feel inclined to. No one should tell someone else how much they should tip or in what circumstances they should give a tip.

"a lot of them do work their butts off but many do not."

I will admit I have yet to experience bad service on a RCL cruise (now NCL, that's a whole other story!), but I won't say it doesn't exist. However, I do not think that if you lower the tip the server is going to thing "oh my, I guess my work wasn't up to par. I need to improve." They will probably think "well, there's another lousy tipper." I think if the service is substandard you should say something early on to your headwaiter. It is his (her) job to make sure that the service is acceptable. If it doesn't improve after that, then you could lower your tip. But I don't think you should accept bad service, tip accordingly, and never say anything.

As tipping is not a major source of remuneration in Australia, cruises are sold with gratuities included. I guess if someone exceeds my expectations I will tip on top but the whole tipping scenario won't be a big deal for me.

Tips are a way of life in this country. If you dine out your wait person works for tips. Even if they make minimum wage - they have to pay taxes and FICA on their tips - most of the time your paycheck is $0 or close to it. Due to tax law changes over the years even if you have a bad night and get several tables of non-tippers - you have to claim tips you didn't receive or prove you did not receive the tips. Cause Uncle Sam is going to take his hit. You are expected to claim a certain percentage of your sales as tips.

Good or bad - pricing in restaurants and on cruise ships reflect this fact.

The dining room waitstaff also works in the Windjammer, thus the tip should not be reduced regardless of where you dine. IMO the standard tip should be the minimum, regardless of service or lack there of. These are folks who work their butts off to insure you have a great vacation.

No sorry, It doesn't work both ways,. You said they should get the recommended tip regardless of the service you receive, then say they work thier butts off for the tips. Well, if I get crappy service they haven't likely worked thier butts off have they?

I would not tip for bad service. I would tip the reciommended amount for 'OK' service, but not for bad service.

Having been on two cruises, I have not had bad service, and have tipped the minimum, at least. But there's no way I would do it regardless of the service I received.

I understand what you're saying, but it's my way of KNOWING my tips are really going to where I received the "tippable" service. It's based on HORRIBLE experiences in the dining room that have led to my not eating in there anymore. We've actually received better service in Windjammer than in the dining room, and I want to tip for that service. That being said, I'm also NOT going to tip for service not received - that's part of the reason I want to make sure the dining room staff know we're not going to be dining there.

I quickly calculated what each waiter makes per week then per month if they get the minimum required as suggested by the cruise line

We will assume each waiter gets 4 tables

For arguement sake 2 of 6 /2 of 8

Total 28 pax x2 sittings =56

56 people will pay 3.50 daily = 196$ per day

196 x 7 =1372$ per week

1372 x 4 weeks =5488$ per month

In my opinion not so chabby

More then I make as a school teacher with 2 university degress TAX FREE

Do they deserve it .YES they work very hard long hours but they are aptly compensated

How many pax can claim they make over 5000$ monthly tax free

I don't think too many

I still give a little extra if they were really nice to my kids knowing they still make more then me but that's OK.

Michele

On one of our cruises we eat in the WJ about half the time, thus we tipped our waiter at the table. When we came in and sat down he brought us over drinks. At that point we tipped him and he ensured everything was taken care of.

Also to note he said that was note need but we told him we wanted to so we gave him $10. On one of the evenings he explained that ever forth cruise they rotate into the WJ and during that cruise do not get paid. So if they work 7 day cruises that means the tipping they get in 3 weeks is there pay for 4 weeks. He was not negative and sated that his wife also worked on the ship in house keeping and both had worked for RCCL for about 10 years..

I quickly calculated what each waiter makes per week then per month if they get the minimum required as suggested by the cruise line

We will assume each waiter gets 4 tables

For arguement sake 2 of 6 /2 of 8

Total 28 pax x2 sittings =56

56 people will pay 3.50 daily = 196$ per day

196 x 7 =1372$ per week

1372 x 4 weeks =5488$ per month

In my opinion not so chabby

More then I make as a school teacher with 2 university degress TAX FREE

Do they deserve it .YES they work very hard long hours but they are aptly compensated

How many pax can claim they make over 5000$ monthly tax free

I don't think too many

I still give a little extra if they were really nice to my kids knowing they still make more then me but that's OK.

Michele

I think about half that amount would be more realistic.

Whether or not it's tax free would depend on the income tax laws of the country they are from.

Archived