Renting a Car Process: Your Experiences Needed!

clcurry

Hello fellow cruisers!

I've read several posts about renting a car in GC, however I guess I am wanting to know details.

My BF and I are sailing on a Western Caribbean itinerary in May and we are interested in booking a rental car on our own. We are undecided about which rental company to book through (Avis, Andys, etc.) and are wondering about the process.

Coule anyone who has rented from either of these companies please respond with your car-rental process?

We'd like to know details:

Did you book via phone or online?

Were you shuttled to the rental location?

If so, where were you picked up from and how far away from the ship's pier was your pickup location?

How long did it take for you to pick up your vehicle (factoring in the paperwork process, etc.)?

If you booked ahead of time and weather did not permit you to stop in Grand Cayman, was your money refunded?

Were maps available at the rental location?

Anything else we need to know? Thanks so much for any help. I am looking forward to your much-valued responses. :)

Did you book via phone or online?

We booked online, but I corresponded through e-mail with Andy's (at least the first time). From then on, I just booked online.

Were you shuttled to the rental location?

If so, where were you picked up from and how far away from the ship's pier was your pickup location?

We pick up our car at the airport, but from what I've read, the rental places will make arrangements to pick you up and get you to their offices. Andy's has a location that's next to the airport, and one that's down 7MB (across from the Marriott Beach resort). I am not sure which one they will take you to, but both are close to the port area.

How long did it take for you to pick up your vehicle (factoring in the paperwork process, etc.)?

I'd say about 20 minutes or so. You'd need to add another 15 minutes or so for drive time.

If you booked ahead of time and weather did not permit you to stop in Grand Cayman, was your money refunded?

I'd have to double-check, but I don't think we were charged anything until we picked up the car, but again, I'd have to look this up. If you can't stop there, and a rental agency does place a hold on your credit card, I'd imagine it wouldn't be a problem getting it taken off. I've never read where anyone has had an issue with this.

Were maps available at the rental location?

Yes, they have maps. But remember, there aren't that many streets on the island. It's pretty hard to get lost. The only problem we've had is we've driven past the road that you use to cut across the island to get to Rum Point. One time we were there, there was a tanker truck off on the side of the road, so we knew when we saw the truck, we needed to turn left. They finally moved that truck...so now we have to pay attention. :)

Anything else we need to know? Thanks so much for any help. I am looking forward to your much-valued responses. :)

Renting a car is the way to do Grand Cayman. The people there are wonderful. It's a safe island...just use your usual precautions and you'll be fine. They are very courteous drivers. If there is a line of cars, someone will always let you in. To show their thanks, they will toot their horn and sometimes wave. When you go into the roundabouts, you yield to those already in...I think the signs say "give way."

We are HUGE chickens when it comes to going to foreign countries and getting out on our own, but I have no problem recommending you do this on Grand Cayman. Hubby's idea of taking a walk on the wild side is getting extra starch in his shirts at the cleaners, so you know if he'll drive a car around the island, anyone can. Oh, and we always get the cars that have the steering on the left, like at home. We find this works best for us, and it may not matter to you, but I thought I'd mention this. :)

Have a great time!

And if you have time...stop in here. We love Pure Art. It's about a mile out of town, and it's never crowded. The cruise ship passengers usually don't make it this direction.

http://www.pureart.ky/

Twinkles,

THANK YOU THANK YOU! :D Your information was so helpful and reassuring. I am going to make a reservation with Andy's this weekend. Yay!

Have a great time! We particularly love the East End. There are just so many wonderful places to pull over and explore the beaches (I collect sea glass). If you want to do anything around the 7MB area (Hell, turtle farm, Tortuga rum cakes), I'd do that first, then head over toward the other side of the island. Traffic tends to get crazy on the 7MB stretch, but once out of the George Town area, you should encounter very little traffic.

Last time in GC, DH and I rented a jeep from Cayman Auto Rentals. Price was good and they were a short walk from the tender drop off. Even though it wasn't far between the rental site and the tender pick up, the rental company took us back--- guess it was obvious that we were EXHAUSTED from snokeling all day. We were able to book online and they were good about responding to emails.

We are going back this Oct and will likely rent again. We like to drive over to rum point, far less "touristy" and less busy.

You will have a great time!!!! Renting is the way to go!!

Have a great time! We particularly love the East End. There are just so many wonderful places to pull over and explore the beaches (I collect sea glass). If you want to do anything around the 7MB area (Hell, turtle farm, Tortuga rum cakes), I'd do that first, then head over toward the other side of the island. Traffic tends to get crazy on the 7MB stretch, but once out of the George Town area, you should encounter very little traffic.
Any particular recommendations for sea glass sources on beaches?

Any particular recommendations for sea glass sources on beaches?

I've never found any sea glass on the 7MB stretch...others may have, but I've not been lucky enough to find any. Where I have found sea glass is over toward where the blow holes are located, but also from around Bodden Town and all that area up toward the East End. There's lots and lots of deserted beach areas over in that direction, and we'd just pull over and walk around. I'd almost always find a piece of glass or two early in the mornings, especially after a stormy night.

Archived