Maasdam-a/c Problems-nav. Deck?

dewhit6959

On another cruise chat page, there was mention of problems with the air conditioning on the Navigation deck. An individual said that his cabin and others were uncomfortably warm on a Caribbean cruise. He further states that workers from the ship engineering dept. told him there had been problems with the ducting on that deck prior to this cruise. There were no other cabins available for him to move to and he and his wife were given five hundred dollars credit towards a future cruise.

Has anyone on this board had a.c. problems on this deck on this ship ?

Thank you for your posts. I am not sure of the date of the cruise that the individual experienced the a/c problems, but I gather from the lack of complaints posted that this must have been an isolated incident or possibly the cruiser was from a northern territory and not aclimated to the humidity and temps in the south. Thanks again !

Dewhit6959, before the drydock, when the Maasdam was was sailing in the Carribbean, we experienced ac problems when in a cat S stateroom on the Nav. deck. We were told by ship's engineering that the problem was caused by one of the ships air conditioning units which wasn't working effectively and that the problem was more severe in hot weather. (No mention was made of a ducting problem). We were also told that most of the other staterooms on the Nav. deck are serviced by a different air conditioning unit which was working and so those staterooms didn't experience any ac problems.

This issue/problem was discussed on the old boards but I don't believe any of those posts were brought over to the new boards. It was not just our Carribean sailing that was affected. Other Caribbean sailings that were sailing in the hotter summer months also had complaints. (We sailed during Aug.)

I had hoped that the problem with the ac problem would be repaired during the Massdam's dry dock. It would be interesting to find out when this person who experienced the problems sailed. Also, this reference to a ducting problem is new. Where did you find this issue discussed?

I would doubt that anyone would have a problem sailing on the Canada-New England route, as the weather is so much cooler there.

From what I can recall there were A/C problems right after the dry docking, which may have been there before hand, but that part I don't remember.

Eventually they were corrected and I haven't read anything on A/C problems recently.

• 1 month later...
  • 12 years later...

Yes! It's still a major a/c problem in 2017!!!! On the Maasdam, Neptune Suite, 024, on Navigation Deck, we suffered, along with other Neptune guests on the port side, 76 to 86 and more temps daily during a 33 day cruise to the South Pacific this spring! Holland America apparently ignores a/c issues, and pretends to try to fix them during the cruise to placate the passengers. And they continue to sell these luxury suites at full luxury prices, knowing the a/c problem has been an issue for years! Isn't that deceptive trade and fraud? Several employees confirmed that the ship had had a/c problems in our suite on recent previous cruises. Buyer Beware--skip the Maasdam! Oh, they will offer you a small amount for the "inconvenience", but compared with a $35,000 fare for two, it is a pittance! And it is generally "cruise fare credit", so you get the chance to be miserable again! We were loyal 3 star Mariners and previously loved HAL!

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed on the Maasdam to the Caribbean in 2010, and we complained about the ac the whole time. Their answer was to give us a box fan!!! About the 3rd or 4th day, they offered us an upgrade cabin one floor up but all the way in the aft section---over the propeller shafts. We took it, it was cooler, but noisier with more movement which my wife didn't like. First time on four HAL ships we had any problem with ac.

Yes! It's still a major a/c problem in 2017!!!! On the Maasdam' date=' Neptune Suite, 024, on Navigation Deck, we suffered, along with other Neptune guests on the port side, 76 to 86 and more temps daily during a 33 day cruise to the South Pacific this spring! Holland America apparently ignores a/c issues, and pretends to try to fix them during the cruise to placate the passengers. And they continue to sell these luxury suites at full luxury prices, knowing the a/c problem has been an issue for years! Isn't that deceptive trade and fraud? Several employees confirmed that the ship had had a/c problems in our suite on recent previous cruises. Buyer Beware--skip the Maasdam! Oh, they will offer you a small amount for the "inconvenience", but compared with a $35,000 fare for two, it is a pittance! And it is generally "cruise fare credit", so you get the chance to be miserable again! We were loyal 3 star Mariners and previously loved HAL![/quote']

This is very well said. Buyer beware on the old HAL ships including Prinsendam that Holland America continues to milk for profit.

Per chance did they tell customers they were awaiting a part which they would pick up at the next port? We heard this deceptive story years ago, famous last words.

Yes, BUYER BEWARE on Holland America's Maasdam!!!!! This ship has had well known A/C issues as far back as 2004-5, according to online forums!!!! Most recently on the Navigation deck, in the Neptune Suites, where we suffered 76 - 86 degree temps during a 33 day cruise to the South Pacific, March - April 2017. Yet she is still sailing and booked with many Neptune Suites sold out through 2018!! And they've even increased the 2018 fare for our same cruise in the Neptune suites by more than $1000 per person!!! Pity those who will be trapped, with a box fan, an extra ice service, and numerous promises that they are working on it. But "you'll be compensated for the inconvenience". Like $1000 to your onboard account. . .which some Neptune guests accepted. And forget trying to negotiate with HAL corporate. . .they respond with an offer of cruise fare credit, and a less than sincere apology, while continuing to cheat their guests, and pretending it is an isolated problem. This is FRAUD and DECEPTIVE TRADE PRACTICES. We have filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission, hoping that HAL will be forced to stop cheating their unsuspecting guests. We also have contacted an attorney who specializes in maritime law in the hope that HAL will have to compensate its guests with more than a trivial, token amount, and meaningless cruise fare credit! Unless people speak out and refuse to let them get away with their deceptive and fraudulent sales of accommodations lacking a/c, they will just sail merrily along, laughing all the way to the bank!!!!

Thank you for your posts. I am not sure of the date of the cruise that the individual experienced the a/c problems, but I gather from the lack of complaints posted that this must have been an isolated incident or possibly the cruiser was from a northern territory and not aclimated to the humidity and temps in the south. Thanks again !

I agree with you, the Humidity and temperature

We were on the Maasdam in June. Boston to Montreal. The weather was exceptionally hot. We had cabin 050, Navigation Deck Starboard. It is the last cabin on the deck far to the aft. No a/c problems. In fact we had to turn the a/c down in the am because the cabin was so cold. We had a problem on this ship in the Caribbean in 2011, but none this cruise.

On the 33 day March- April 2017, all Maasdam port side Neptune Suites on Navigation Deck had a/c issues -- no or inadequate cooling. 76 -86 degrees daily. One couple left the cruise in Bora Bora due to the problem. Several Neptune guests became ill; the A/C was never fixed, and the concierge in Neptune Lounge finally admitted that it was a major system problem and needed dry docking to repair. Other employees admitted that the problem existed on other recent cruises. The Maasdam is booked through 2018 (see HAL's website), with many of the Neptune suites sold out!!!! BUYER BEWARE. . .HAL continues to take your money, while you get to roast in Neptune Suites. . .

If you are going to Alaska or Northeast, you probably won't care about no a/c, but cruisers to the Caribbean, or South Pacific -- enjoy your box fan! :mad::loudcry::mad: