A question for Geocachers

Thunderwoods

For those of you familliar with the sport, I'm about to create my own cache, with a cruising theme to it.

It will be in the standard-size ammo can. I'm looking for initial cruise-related items to stock it with.

Any 'small' ideas?:D

For those of you familliar with the sport, I'm about to create my own cache, with a cruising theme to it.

It will be in the standard-size ammo can. I'm looking for initial cruise-related items to stock it with.

Any 'small' ideas?:D

WOOHOO!!! Another 'cacher'! I was thinking about that the other day - to search the board to see if anyone talks about geocaching on vacation :cool: . As for cruise items . . . . hmmmm . . .sunglasses, lanyard, sample size suntan lotion, cruise critic magnet, coins from other countries you've visited . . . any of those things? I'll keep thinking . . .

BTW, DO you geocaching at cruise ports??

We've done one in Jamaica and another in Cozumel, but both ended up to be at resorts and at the concierge desk...not too exciting considering the locale, but fun anyway!

I heard there was one in Cayman that was a dive-only...but never found a listing or further info on it.

Thanks for the ideas...I'll have this filled in no-time! I also thought about a pirate themed one as well, but the cruise one seems to have the popular vote for now...

WOOHOO!!! Another 'cacher'! I was thinking about that the other day - to search the board to see if anyone talks about geocaching on vacation :cool: . As for cruise items . . . . hmmmm . . .sunglasses, lanyard, sample size suntan lotion, cruise critic magnet, coins from other countries you've visited . . . any of those things? I'll keep thinking . . .

BTW, DO you geocaching at cruise ports??

All good ideas . . . here in Maine we have a cacher (Beachcomber) that actually makes a signature item with sea glass and other bits of flotsam that she finds along the shore.

A clean souvenir drinking glass might also fit into an ammo can with no issues . . . I might take a pass on the suntan lotion though . . . for the scent issues (we sometimes have problems with wildlife detecting scented items) and around here for the freezing issues (which sometimes leads to the container breaking and thus releasing the smell for the wildlife.)

On another note . . . on our cruise in March I took the GPSr along for the ride to do some geocaching whenever it was convenient (my wife is not a geocacher . . . in fact she calls it "geo-trashing"). I didn't make geocaching a priority (spending time with my wife and relaxing were my two top priorities), but I did manage to do a quick cache in OSJ, grabbed an easy cache at a business in Dominica and found a nice cache in Antigua . . . left my signature firefighter's ladder behind in both Dominica and Antigua. There were still plenty of unfound caches that I "left" behind . . . but I figure that just gives me an excuse to look for those the next time I book a cruise going there, right? ;) :D

If by chance you don't have one - I get mine from Ebay, most of the time the decriptions will tell you if it an avid Cacher just upgrading. Geocaching.com is another good place to find a 'swap meet' of sorts.

I just got a Jeep - and am excited to start doing the Jeep caches!

Great ideas, keep em comin'!!!

While I'm on it, anyone cruising soon?

Hmmmm, never thought about leaving a signature item. I love that idea!

The kids sometimes squabble about what to leave...that would most certainly remedy the issue....thanks!

I leave a signature item as well, a handmade beaded dragonfly :p . I usually try to collect others' signature items, too!

If by chance you don't have one - I get mine from Ebay, most of the time the decriptions will tell you if it an avid Cacher just upgrading. Geocaching.com is another good place to find a 'swap meet' of sorts.

I just got a Jeep - and am excited to start doing the Jeep caches!

Great ideas, keep em comin'!!!

While I'm on it, anyone cruising soon?

Oh, are they doing Jeeps again this year? I got one last year - is it too late to sign up for one this year?

I haven't seen any 'official' Jeep geocaches as of yet. I know there are a few local groups here in PA that like to run the 'off the beaten path' Jeep courses.

For as you know, being a Jeep owner is somewhat of an obsession....:D

Oh, are they doing Jeeps again this year? I got one last year - is it too late to sign up for one this year?

I haven't heard or seen anything about this . . . but then again they've done the Jeep contest for the past three years so I would say the odds would be good that they'll be doing another Jeep contest again this year.

How about some small toy boats, lanyards (for key cards), highlighters, small sewing kit, travel duct tape and chapstick (regular w/spf, not scented). I was hoping to drag my husband on some caches on our cruise in Jan 2009 even though he's not much of a cacher.

Ginger aka RacerGirl8

All good ideas . . . here in Maine we have a cacher (Beachcomber) that actually makes a signature item with sea glass and other bits of flotsam that she finds along the shore.

Hey firefighterjake, where is Maine do you live? My brother lives on Sebago Lake, he's Team Trout.

Archived