Adventure Ocean question

Sky616

Just booked Freedom for Oct 09. I know long way off. Anyways, our DS will be 81/2 at the time. Does he have to go in the 6-8 group or could he possibly be bumped up to th 9-11 group? He enjoys being around older boys as that is mostly who he hangs around with in our neighberhood. He was on the Jewel last November and loved the 6-8 yr old Explorers.

We ran into this question with our younger son. He's going to be 6 and we cruised on Mariner in March (his birthday is July). We knew that the little kids (3-5 group) would be very young for him as he's in kindy with kids mostly older since he has a late birthday.

What you need to do is tell them when you register that you'd like to have him moved up to the 9-11 group. If they can accomodate you, like they did us, they will have him do 1 or 2 sessions in the age appropriate group to be sure he's mature enough to move up. Then they will sign him over to the older group.

You never know, he might make friends in the 6-8 group and enjoy himself. This is all subject, of course, to their having room and availability in the older group. Some people have been unsuccessful unless the child was within 1 month of their birthday.

We just had this experience with DD who will be 12 in June.

She wasn't keen on being in the 9-11 AO group, as that meant being with her 10.5 y/o brother. :eek:

We spoke w/ the AO program coordinator at the first evening's registration session. She said that DD would have to try 2 activities in the 9-11 group. If DD felt uncomfortable about being with that group, we could sign the consent form to change to the 12-14 group.

DD tried a day's worth of AO 9-11 activities and didn't click w/ anyone-- as it turned out, she was the only 6th grader in that group and even the other children were telling her she was "in the wrong group" and that she was "too old!"

As luck may have it, DD met up w/ another girl w/ a July bday who had switched into the 12-14 group. They were truly perfect for each other and, together, met up w/ some of the other 12-13 year olds-- all 6th and 7th graders.

We ran into this question with our younger son. He's going to be 6 and we cruised on Mariner in March (his birthday is July). We knew that the little kids (3-5 group) would be very young for him as he's in kindy with kids mostly older since he has a late birthday.

What you need to do is tell them when you register that you'd like to have him moved up to the 9-11 group. If they can accomodate you, like they did us, they will have him do 1 or 2 sessions in the age appropriate group to be sure he's mature enough to move up. Then they will sign him over to the older group.

You never know, he might make friends in the 6-8 group and enjoy himself. This is all subject, of course, to their having room and availability in the older group. Some people have been unsuccessful unless the child was within 1 month of their birthday.

Janet, I've got the same situation with my granddaughter on an upcoming Alaska Cruise in June on Rhapsody of the Seas. She will be 3 months short of turning 6 years old and all her friends are already 6 yrs old since she is the youngest in her kindergarten class. I'm worried she will be bored if there aren't kids closer to her age. How did your son enjoy the Kids Program? Did he stay in the 3 - 5 yr old group?

Joyce

On Freedom the 3-5 and 6-8 rooms join together.

I had a shy 4 year old and an outgoing 6 year old but they allowed my daughter to look out for my son and he knew he could see her if he wanted to!

Just ask! If you don't ask you don't get ;) Just be prepared in case the answer is no!

The 6-8yo group does an amazing job with their activities, my 6yo loved it. My son 9 was in the older group and enjoyed his time there and made great friends, they seemed to have activities that were a little more mature, if that makes sense. The Adventure Ocean program was top notch and made our family vacation incredible. The kids looked forward to going because they had so much fun...this allowed us alone adult time...the best of both worlds.

Archived