Those Who Like Formal: Will You Still?

Leo Jay

I couldn't care less if Me Me Me minority continue to choose to overdress. I will still continue to enjoy the quality of food and level of service I receive.

People who focus on what others wear really need to get a life.

Denial is a very special thing, isn't it? ;)

I will continue to wear Black Tie Tux on formal nights. Just got back from a QM2 transatlantic crossing where about 98%-99% of the men wore tuxes and women wore gowns or other appropriate dresses on the formal nights.

I couldn't care less if Me Me Me minority continue to choose to overdress. I will still continue to enjoy the quality of food and level of service I receive.

People who focus on what others wear really need to get a life.

How is it the "Me Me Me" minority? As far as I've counted, there are FOUR nays so far to not keeping a "formal" aspect to their dress. Am I missing something here? Seems you're in the "Me Me Me minority," with your snide jabs about overdressing and how some need to get a life.

Sorry, just annoying when unwarranted comments come out of nowhere, and how wonderfully they help the topic along.

To the OP: when we cruise again (this year is cancelled, too much of an added expense with rising costs across the board), we will still "overdress" in our formal/elegant wear. After all, when does anyone really get to do that other than weddings... and funerals? :o

I love getting dressed up. Unfortunately, the only opportunity I have to do so is on a cruise, so I will definitely continue it. I don't care if others dress down, just that I won't.
Just think if this is the only time you can get dressed up --- must be sign of the times. Casual is in.... me personally, I don't have preference either way but have to say I find it a hassle to have to get dressed up when on a cruise. I'm there to relax, slapping a noose around my neck and coat on my back in the hot Caribbean heat, well just seems to go against the laid back attitude found on the various ports of call :D

How is it the "Me Me Me" minority? As far as I've counted, there are FOUR nays so far to not keeping a "formal" aspect to their dress. Am I missing something here? Seems you're in the "Me Me Me minority," with your snide jabs about overdressing and how some need to get a life.

Sorry, just annoying when unwarranted comments come out of nowhere, and how wonderfully they help the topic along.

To the OP: when we cruise again (this year is cancelled, too much of an added expense with rising costs across the board), we will still "overdress" in our formal/elegant wear. After all, when does anyone really get to do that other than weddings... and funerals? :o

How many CC members are there? Those posting any opinion in this thread is what percentage of that? The total CC readership (why limit to membership?) is a minority of total cruisers. Let's expand that to all the cruise boards. It is still a minority.

To suggest that any CC survey/poll/etc is in any way representative of reality is the quintessence of denial.

If the clothes I wear offends a minority of cruisers, I suggest those cruisers either eat at the Lido or order room service.

How many CC members are there? Those posting any opinion in this thread is what percentage of that? The total CC readership (why limit to membership?) is a minority of total cruisers. Let's expand that to all the cruise boards. It is still a minority.

To suggest that any CC survey/poll/etc is in any way representative of reality is the quintessence of denial.

If the clothes I wear offends a minority of cruisers, I suggest those cruisers either eat at the Lido or order room service.

I could care less what someone else wears to dinner. If you want to wear a tux, go right ahead. If you want to wear something less formal, go right ahead. If we're sitting at the same table and you're a pleasant dinner companion that's all that matters to me.

I enjoy meeting new people at dinner and having a good conversation over a good meal. What my dinner companions are wearing is just not that important to me in the grand scheme of things on a cruise.

Hopefully what I choose to wear won't matter to my dinner companions as long meets the dress code and I'm a pleasant dinner companion.

With many of the airlines charging $10-25 for a second bag, which would have been my garment bag, I might skip the formal in order to save the extra charge, especially if it's not a required item any longer.

I do like to gussy up but will probably lean toward sparkly shirts with black slacks.

It funny . . . when I was married, my husband and I would go all out . . . he in his tux and me in a long formal gown. On my last five cruises when I've cruised solo, I still dress formal but don't enjoy it nearly as much. And you're right . . . with the airlines charging for a second bag and there being a weight limit on the first (and AA is even now charging for any bag checked) . . . anyway, every ounce counts. I love eating in the dining room but I'm really thinking about eating at the Lido Deck buffet on the two formal nights. :(

I will pay the extra fee for luggage, and wear my suit and tie;). There are plenty of other times you can wear jeans and shorts if you need a fix.:p

Oh my goodness . . . are you in the Coast Guard? Are those Dolphin HH65 helicopters? My son is a Coast Guard helicopter pilot stationed at Air Station Kodiak in Alaska. :p

I don't care what they call it or what anybody else wears I like seeing the guys in Tux's or military men in their Dress Uniforms. Nothing makes us girl swoon more than seeing men dressed in these two styles. I will still dress up too.

My son took me on a cruise to the Mexican Riviera for my birthday in January 2007. He wore a tux (rented from Carnival) on one of our formal nights and because he's a Coast Guard Officer, he wore his dress whites on the other formal night. I kept thinking about that movie "Officer and a Gentleman" . . . I was so proud I could have burst my buttons but my gown didn't have any buttons . . . tee hee!

Archived