a different insurance question.

filamy

Does anybody use a lower “Trip cost” amount when purchasing insurance?. Our primary reasons for buying travel insurance are medical evacuation / emergency and lost or delayed baggage. I can save approximately 30% while keeping the same major benefits and lowering the "Trip cost" by 20%. I am not concerned about the refund cost of the complete trip since the chances are extremely slim and if something happened it probably wouldn’t be covered anyway. Sorry if this has been discussed, it seems as though the search function has disappeared.

Read the terms and conditions. Many insurance companies will void the insurance coverage if you failed to cover the entire trip.

Being in the insurance industry I have seen this happen on many occasions. The industry term is "misrep". In other words you misrepresented your exosure which in this case is your trip amount. If you are an insurance buyer for your trips then its nothing to skimp on. I do agree w/ rjg41, the best advice I can offer is read the fine print and terms and conditions. Sometimes you are only covered as well for certain perils that are listed on the policy. Its not as broad of a coverage as say a homeowners policy.

Hope this helps.

Remember insurance covers cancellation too. Sometimes someone in your group or your family is ill and you can't go on your trip. Cover the whole vacation to get back the whole cost. As another poster said, you have to read the fine print. When using insuremytrip.com I've emailed with questions and called. They are very knowledgeable and helpful and get back to you quickly. Don't under insure!!

As low as the cost is on trip insurance, skimping on coverage can't save you all that much money. I feel a lot more secure knowing that every concievable thing that could happen will be covered. And since both my parents are in their upper 80's now, full coverage is a must for peace of mind.

Aubie

Archived