Mt. Mckinley flightseeing

honeymooners2be

We are considering doing the flightseing tour w/ the glacier landing. I just wanted to inquire about the flight portion of the excursion.What does it encompass? Are we better off doing a summit flight tour? What would give us the best chance to the McKinley?

thanks to all

I did a private charter for an all-day trip to Denali in June many years ago. The pilot and I flew a beautiful route from Seward up to Denali, circled the mountain, then flew to the grass airstrip at the National Park hotel. We had a nice light lunch at the Park hotel, sent postcards, then strolled out to watch the tourist trains passing by on their way to Anchorage. As the afternoon waned, we walked back to the plane and off we went, doing a smooth roll off the end of the airstrip. It was tons of fun.

Denali is over 23,000' high and light planes (most sightseeing planes) cannot fly above 14,500' without oxygen - FAA rules. This height enables you to see everything but light planes cannot fly over the top of the mountain. The flanks of the mountain were covered in deep snow and, where the snow got too heavy, there were fractures in the snow cover, making a "broken styrofoam cup" effect.

I highly recommend a flightseeing tour but remember that you will not fly over Denali unless you're in a jet or on oxygen!

Ruby

Archived