New to Westerdam

Xoe

We've enjoyed cruises on Ryndam and Amsterdam, as well as the old Noordam (now retired/replaced). We've reserved Suite 7064 (SA) on the Rotterdam Deck for Westerdam's Alaska itinerary in September; one of my husband's sisters will be joining us. Any info as to how those suites will work for three adults? Any cautionary notes that might lead us to change to a different stateroom (which we still could do)?

I'd love to hear any insider past-passenger information or suggestions for things to make sure not to miss on the ship -- or perhaps to avoid.

I'd especially appreciate knowing about any special places we might not find on our own. An example: on Coral Princess we found a forward deck that was accessed through an ordinary inside corridor; very few passengers knew it was there and it was fantastic for viewing the glaciers!

Thanks!

Xoe, sorry for the lack of response. Let me try to help. While I haven't yet sailed 3-adults-to-a-suite on Westerdam - my turn comes in December - I've sailed triple on sister ship Zuiderdam. I slept on the sofa bed, which was comfortable (not like land based sofa beds) There's plenty of room, but no way of separating the 2 sleeping areas (like a curtain) for privacy. However, the large curtained dressing room gives both privacy and lots of elbow room for changing clothes.

The suite perks and service are heavenly. Don't forget you may breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill - same menu as the main dining room - just less hubbub. Also, you have free unlimited laundry service, which we've always found fast and efficient (plus your clothes come almost gift-wrapped in tissue and a basket!)

You are nice and close the the Neptune Lounge, which will make it easy to take advantage of the concierge service. Nice munchies, too, If you wish to go on the internet, there is WIFI and a laptop available in the Neptune (but you still have to pay for your minutes).

The Vistas don't have the "nooks and crannies" of the older ships. One favourite spot for relaxation for many is the spa thermal suite and hydro therapy pool - you can buy a pass for the week at the spa, or a day pass to try it.

The "daily quiz" wasn't mentioned in the ship's paper on Zuiderdam 12/07. It's available every morning (9 a.m.? or is it 10?) in the Erasmus Library on Promenade deck. Whether you are a quiz type or not, the library is always worth a look - books, games, jig saw puzzles, a place to write notes and cards with a perfect view.

Hope someone else can add to this. Enjoy, Xoe - you'll love your suite!

Sorry your post hasn't drawn more response. I read it, and thought about responding, but couldn't think of anything to say that isn't already in my review (see the member reviews page for Westerdam - from last November/December).

Based on my experience occupying an SC suite (slightly smaller than an SA) with my husband, you and your husband and your sister-in-law should be ok in an SA as long as you can find ways to respect one another's privacy. Your SIL will be sleeping on a pullout couch which others have reported to be quite comfortable. However, there is no curtain or anything between the couch and the main bed, so you will all be sleeping in one big open area. Not ideal, but short of the Penthouse, there's nothing bigger or better for three people on the ship, so you might as well stick with what you've got. This is particularly true since, if I remember right, 7064 is right near the Neptune Lounge, so you're well placed to take full advantage of its services. That also gives your DH a convenient place to hang out if you and your SIL want him to vacate while you're getting dressed for dinner!

The good news is that the bathroom in an SA suite is very capacious, with two sinks, a tub-and-shower combo, AND a separate shower stall. And although there's not a lot of drawer space, there is plenty of closet space, including shelves, so you should have plenty of room for your things. Store your luggage under the bed, and look for the drawers at the end of the bed if you run out of room. Also note that the footstool in the vanity/dressing room area is hollow, and is a great place to store laundry - just lift the top off.

Don't miss the chance to have breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill. If you're not already familiar with this, it is a perk for suite guests. It's not used much, so you can pretty much count on a table by the window, and in Alaska it should be a great spot for a lovely, leisurely breakfast while gazing out at the scenery.

Sorry I can't be more help than that. Do read my review, and others, and those may give you more information. Hopefully someone else will chime in as well. Enjoy your cruise!

We have sailed three to a suite with the third being my adult daugther.

While it was fine for us, be aware there is no privacy and occasioanlly bathroom congestion occurs. I hope you SIL is not as big a whiner as my daughter.;)

my mom,my sister and I have done suitestwice. Once on the veendam and once on the westerdam. There's plenty of room for 3 plus all the suite extras. Intimacy with your spouse might pose a problem...timing is everything. bon voyage!

After dinner and an evening of doing whatever, it was very relaxing to listen to the talented Intermezzo String Quartet in the Explorer's Lounge. They usually played until 11:00 and the "Flaming Coffee" drinks brought lots of "oohs & aahs" too.

Your input is incredibly helpful and gives us info we did not have before, such as breakfast privileges in the Pinnacle Grill!! Sounds wonderful.

We aren't taking this cruise for privacy (good thing); it will instead be a time for a good visit with a family member whom we don't see often. We first had reserved a different suite, but changed to 7064 specifically in order to be near the Neptune Lounge, which will provide a get-away place for us during dressing times etc.

Any more ideas -- keep 'em coming! This board is such a great resource!

Be sure to read the "know before you go" booklet that will come with your cruise documents; review all the materials you are given at the time of boarding; and go over the papers you find in your cabin when you first enter, including the hardbound binder. These will contain LOTS of very useful info that you might otherwise miss. Enjoy!

I've been in that very suite! 7064 ... aaahhhh the memories! (actually it was on Oosterdam, but hey, same thing!)

As you've already been told, there is "plenty of room"... however, personally I would not want to be on a cruise as a couple with another adult in the room... for me a cruise like that is SO romantic.. but add husband's sister... not so much!!

I would definitely rather go with two smaller staterooms and have one all to myself with my SO...

Just my two cents!

?

Okay, my vociferous opinion aside... you are right 7064 is very close to the door of the Neptune and you can "escape" in there if someone needs privacy in the suite.

You are going to have an absolutely fantastic cruise!! Enjoy!!!

Archived