Skagway's White Pass Summit Tour ?

yarby

I am trying to decide between NCL vs. Chilkoot for the White Pass Summit Tour.

I have not checked the prices yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, if I choose Chilkoot, I was thinking I would just book the tour the day we arrive. Can you book then? Do they usually sell out?

Thanks for the help.

I don't know which tour you're looking at with NCL, but I expect that it's train only, to the Summit and back to town. With the Chilkoot tour you actually go 7 miles past the Summit to Fraser, where the highway and rail line meet, and then take their small bus back to Skagway. You definitely need to book ahead.

I just called Chillkoo Tours to check the price of their White Summit Pass and the cost for the train + bus combo $118.65. NCL only sells roundtrip on the train $112.00. If you purchase this from the train directly (roundtrip rail) it's $103.00

I've been looking into the same kind of thing and finally decided to book through Chilkoot for the bus+train combo.

The biggest selling point for me was that on the bus leg, they'll actually stop at several scenic points so you can get out and take pictures along the way.

With the roundtrip on the train, you're kind of seeing the same thing twice so not quite as exciting.

They do seem to sell out fast so if you decide to go through them, contact them asap for their availability.

Before we booked with Chilkoot, I had read too many posts about people on the round-trip train sleeping on the way back down! Chilkoot is sooo much more personalized, and when our guide found out I was a photo nut, she made lots of extra stops to make sure I got every photo op I could want. And introduced us to things some flora and fauna along the way as well.

... and when our guide found out I was a photo nut, she made lots of extra stops to make sure I got every photo op I could want. And introduced us to things some flora and fauna along the way as well.

Soooo...where are the pictures?:)

Archived