Independence of the Seas Review of onboard stay

We won a competition prize of a stay onboard Independence of the Seas, as part of her launch celebrations. She is of course vast, and creates an impressive sight on the Southampton dockside horizon as we approached over Itchen Bridge. The boarding process went very efficiently, as in our estimation there were around one thousand guests, well down on her total passenger capacity of 3,600.

Accommodation

We stayed in cabin 676 on Deck 9, (D1 category Superior Balcony). It was a lovely size, floor space roughly 26’ x 10’ with a very good sized deep balcony 10’ x 9’ (all figures approx!) The balcony was screened with opaque sliding panels each side and a clear glass panel to the front. It was furnished with 2 plastic armchairs, with good quality woven plastic seats. This sounds horrible, but in fact was comfy. There was a (too) small plastic drinks table. The doors were patio style leading to the cabin (Was I an estate agent in another life?)

In the cabin itself there was a blissfully comfortable huge queensize bed (2 large singles pushed together with a queensize mattress topper) I haven’t slept in anything more comfortable outside of my own bed, and that is saying something! Maybe it was because we were the first to sleep there?The usual 2 bedside tables; a useful feature were the wall lights coupled with directional reading lights. There was a large (24” approx) Samsung flatscreen plasma tv which could be tilted to various directions. I liked the built in furniture, a dressing table area with very good lighting, 9 drawers, integrated fridge, leading onto a double wardrobe with 3 roomy interior shelves and safe which even I could operate without getting locked out of! And hurrah, 24 decent wooden coathangers that actually came off the rail in one piece. Other facilities included tea/coffee making facilities and a hairdryer.

Interestingly, although it is aimed at the British market, the sockets are all 2 pin so remember your adaptor! A lovely full length mirror added a sense of space, and proved useful in checking your fabulous formal evening wear (but not on my evening, sadly!) A large sofa ( 6’– may be convertible?) and glass topped oval coffee table completed the area. The décor is in shades of green.

The bathroom was lovely, plenty big enough with a good sized circular shower, with plastic mosaic style blue and green tiles. It had a well lit basin area with detailed (real!) tiling above the basin.

I have written extensively on the accommodation but this is usually the most important feature to many people! We also viewed the Presidential Suite on Deck 6 which can sleep 14 and had a beautifully presented dining room, and fabulous outdoor living area (810 sq ft) complete with private bar and giant Jacuzzi. It had several sun loungers and a stunning uninterrupted view aft. Moving on…

Entertainment

The main outside entertainment centres mainly on decks 11 and 13 with vast areas such as the H2O Zone for children, which looks great fun as does the Surfrider. Some brave souls managed to stay upright for a few seconds before being swept away to the back of the area. It looked quite painful to me. Others were assailing the rock climbing wall, or playing golf. This is very much a family ship aimed at the younger market. “Scouting for Girls” ( a young band whom I had never heard of, shows this isn’t the ship for me!) played a set by the pool. No real decking as far as we could see, decks are covered with some kind of rubbery stuff, but an improvement on Ventura’s Astroturf!

The ice show was superb, with many changes of costumes and sets. It was entitled “Strings!A World Adventure On Ice” and featured a stunning violinist. The skaters were an international cast and some of their set pieces were breathtaking.

“Under the Big Top” was in the 3-tier Alhambra Theatre, and featured various circus themed acts, mostly entertaining. I did become irritated with the American host/compere whatever, calling upon “the English” to make more noise for him, as if we were some unusual species he wasn’t used to dealing with. “Off!Off!Off!” was the noise I was thinking of.

The Royal Promenade is an impressive 4 decks high and the length of 2 football pitches with various shops and bars. In the evening this is transformed into a disco area. (Ghastly) There a various bars around the ship, including Champagne and Vintage Wine. As everything was complimentary, the atmosphere was very convivial! Actually we found the noise rather overwhelming. Be warned not to book a cabin overlooking the Promenade if you like a quiet life! I would hate it.

Restaurants

There are various themed eating places around the ship but the main informal one is the Windjammer Café. This is right at the back of the ship on Deck 11 and has wonderful wraparound views and nicely furnished with comfy wicker style chairs. Bizarrely it has plastic plates but linen napkins. The main restaurant is situated over 3 tiers and are named the Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth and King Lear. I should have been warned by this, as this is where RCI completely lose the plot as far as we were concerned. The décor is hideously oldfashioned, in sombre maroons and greens. The windows are swagged and tailed to within an inch of their life, and it has a depressing feel to it, like an unpopular Indian restaurant (no offence intended but you get the picture). The food however, was very good, my favourite course was a chilled tropical mango soup with toasted coconut, and my husband's was his perennial favourite broiled lobster tail and a perfectly grilled filet of beef. Good choices for vegetarians : 3 starters and 3 mains. Staff were very attentive, although this wasn’t hard as we were the only ones on our table of 10. The competition was run by the Mail on Sunday and there were 18 winners plus up to 3 family members each. We met Frank Barrett, Travel editor,and colleagues at a brief welcome meeting but when we arrived for dinner only a handful of comp winners were there scattered over several tables. “Shall you wait for your companions?” enquired the waiter…thank goodness we didn’t or we’d still be there now. We thought it was hilarious as it is our best score yet. We usually book a table for 6 ever hopeful of some stimulating company, but on every occasion there is always a phantom couple who never materialise. This time it was 8, our record! I expect they were elsewhere dining at the many other venues, so much choice!

Overview

The RCI certainly treated us royally, but we of course had to compare it to Ventura which we recently toured (albeit more briefly). To us there is no contest. The Independence does her job well in appealing to the younger set. Size wasn’t an issue, she looks huge from the outside but from within everything is well signposted (even with 3D cutout models of the layouts, very useful) and we didn’t get lost once. You won’t even forget which day it is, as they change a section of the carpet with the name of the day featured, as you step into the lift! BUT she is also loud, brash, obvious, glaring, an exhausting environment to be in. Ventura was beautiful, well designed, flowing, gentle on the eye. But that's just our opinion.After all, isn't all cruising good cruising!

Wonderful review -- how lucky you were to have this great opportunity.

Was your cabin an aft? It sounds like it was from the size but I wasn't sure about the cabin number. We have booked D1 Aft 1702 for December and trying to figure out if our cabin would be the same as the one you described.

Thank you.

Kathy:)

We won a competition prize of a stay onboard Independence of the Seas, as part of her launch celebrations. She is of course vast, and creates an impressive sight on the Southampton dockside horizon as we approached over Itchen Bridge. The boarding process went very efficiently, as in our estimation there were around one thousand guests, well down on her total passenger capacity of 3,600.

Accommodation

We stayed in cabin 676 on Deck 9, (D1 category Superior Balcony). It was a lovely size, floor space roughly 26’ x 10’ with a very good sized deep balcony 10’ x 9’ (all figures approx!) The balcony was screened with opaque sliding panels each side and a clear glass panel to the front. It was furnished with 2 plastic armchairs, with good quality woven plastic seats. This sounds horrible, but in fact was comfy. There was a (too) small plastic drinks table. The doors were patio style leading to the cabin (Was I an estate agent in another life?)

In the cabin itself there was a blissfully comfortable huge queensize bed (2 large singles pushed together with a queensize mattress topper) I haven’t slept in anything more comfortable outside of my own bed, and that is saying something! Maybe it was because we were the first to sleep there?The usual 2 bedside tables; a useful feature were the wall lights coupled with directional reading lights. There was a large (24” approx) Samsung flatscreen plasma tv which could be tilted to various directions. I liked the built in furniture, a dressing table area with very good lighting, 9 drawers, integrated fridge, leading onto a double wardrobe with 3 roomy interior shelves and safe which even I could operate without getting locked out of! And hurrah, 24 decent wooden coathangers that actually came off the rail in one piece. Other facilities included tea/coffee making facilities and a hairdryer.

Interestingly, although it is aimed at the British market, the sockets are all 2 pin so remember your adaptor! A lovely full length mirror added a sense of space, and proved useful in checking your fabulous formal evening wear (but not on my evening, sadly!) A large sofa ( 6’– may be convertible?) and glass topped oval coffee table completed the area. The décor is in shades of green.

The bathroom was lovely, plenty big enough with a good sized circular shower, with plastic mosaic style blue and green tiles. It had a well lit basin area with detailed (real!) tiling above the basin.

I have written extensively on the accommodation but this is usually the most important feature to many people! We also viewed the Presidential Suite on Deck 6 which can sleep 14 and had a beautifully presented dining room, and fabulous outdoor living area (810 sq ft) complete with private bar and giant Jacuzzi. It had several sun loungers and a stunning uninterrupted view aft. Moving on…

Entertainment

The main outside entertainment centres mainly on decks 11 and 13 with vast areas such as the H2O Zone for children, which looks great fun as does the Surfrider. Some brave souls managed to stay upright for a few seconds before being swept away to the back of the area. It looked quite painful to me. Others were assailing the rock climbing wall, or playing golf. This is very much a family ship aimed at the younger market. “Scouting for Girls” ( a young band whom I had never heard of, shows this isn’t the ship for me!) played a set by the pool. No real decking as far as we could see, decks are covered with some kind of rubbery stuff, but an improvement on Ventura’s Astroturf!

The ice show was superb, with many changes of costumes and sets. It was entitled “Strings!A World Adventure On Ice” and featured a stunning violinist. The skaters were an international cast and some of their set pieces were breathtaking.

“Under the Big Top” was in the 3-tier Alhambra Theatre, and featured various circus themed acts, mostly entertaining. I did become irritated with the American host/compere whatever, calling upon “the English” to make more noise for him, as if we were some unusual species he wasn’t used to dealing with. “Off!Off!Off!” was the noise I was thinking of.

The Royal Promenade is an impressive 4 decks high and the length of 2 football pitches with various shops and bars. In the evening this is transformed into a disco area. (Ghastly) There a various bars around the ship, including Champagne and Vintage Wine. As everything was complimentary, the atmosphere was very convivial! Actually we found the noise rather overwhelming. Be warned not to book a cabin overlooking the Promenade if you like a quiet life! I would hate it.

Restaurants

There are various themed eating places around the ship but the main informal one is the Windjammer Café. This is right at the back of the ship on Deck 11 and has wonderful wraparound views and nicely furnished with comfy wicker style chairs. Bizarrely it has plastic plates but linen napkins. The main restaurant is situated over 3 tiers and are named the Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth and King Lear. I should have been warned by this, as this is where RCI completely lose the plot as far as we were concerned. The décor is hideously oldfashioned, in sombre maroons and greens. The windows are swagged and tailed to within an inch of their life, and it has a depressing feel to it, like an unpopular Indian restaurant (no offence intended but you get the picture). The food however, was very good, my favourite course was a chilled tropical mango soup with toasted coconut, and my husband's was his perennial favourite broiled lobster tail and a perfectly grilled filet of beef. Good choices for vegetarians : 3 starters and 3 mains. Staff were very attentive, although this wasn’t hard as we were the only ones on our table of 10. The competition was run by the Mail on Sunday and there were 18 winners plus up to 3 family members each. We met Frank Barrett, Travel editor,and colleagues at a brief welcome meeting but when we arrived for dinner only a handful of comp winners were there scattered over several tables. “Shall you wait for your companions?” enquired the waiter…thank goodness we didn’t or we’d still be there now. We thought it was hilarious as it is our best score yet. We usually book a table for 6 ever hopeful of some stimulating company, but on every occasion there is always a phantom couple who never materialise. This time it was 8, our record! I expect they were elsewhere dining at the many other venues, so much choice!

Overview

The RCI certainly treated us royally, but we of course had to compare it to Ventura which we recently toured (albeit more briefly). To us there is no contest. The Independence does her job well in appealing to the younger set. Size wasn’t an issue, she looks huge from the outside but from within everything is well signposted (even with 3D cutout models of the layouts, very useful) and we didn’t get lost once. You won’t even forget which day it is, as they change a section of the carpet with the name of the day featured, as you step into the lift! BUT she is also loud, brash, obvious, glaring, an exhausting environment to be in. Ventura was beautiful, well designed, flowing, gentle on the eye. But that's just our opinion.After all, isn't all cruising good cruising!

Thanks for your detailed review, I can see my kids loving the Independence more than the Oceana.:)

I too entered that competition but wasn't as lucky as you. However, not long to wait now as we sail on the 21st May :)

Thanks for the review. We were on the Navigator last year and it sounds very similar, but bigger.

This year we are trying an aft cabin (8410) . We usually book mid-ship so hope the loooooooong walk to the aft is worth the view and the extra balcony space.

South Coaster, Thank you for the review. We booked a promenade cabin for next year and now I'm worried about the noise. I didn't think they would have the disco in the promenade. I better call my TA and get our cabin changed.

They do not have a disco in the Promenade.

On the Promenade they have usually on 7 night sailings ...two Parades...these last about 15 minutes...thats it.

There is no problem with noise in Promenade cabins..we have had them 3 times now...no noise.

Launch Party is completely different from a cruise.

The Band the OP mentioned is only on there for the week for the launch of the ship.

I am guessing the OP usually sails with P&O.

Southcoaster

Thank you so much for your delightful report..........I too entered the Mail on Sunday Comp and was hankering for a look in. No such luck - we were down in Southampton yesterday, gazing lovingly at the Independence and I was seething at those peeps up on deck hob-nobbing! :mad: :D

Glad to hear that all is looking good.........we primarily booked the Indy as we have a 13yr old and so he will love it.

Thanks so much for your lovely findings.

South Coaster, Thank you for the review. We booked a promenade cabin for next year and now I'm worried about the noise. I didn't think they would have the disco in the promenade. I better call my TA and get our cabin changed.

I wouldn't run from a promenade cabin so quickly. They are generally sound-proof. The parties and parades that are held there only last a short time, and the window seat provides the perfect veiwing location.

I'd only be concerned if my promenade cabin was on the 6th floor directly above a lounge or bar - then you *might* be bothered by the vibration of the music into the wee hours of the morning. If the cabin is over a shop or the cafe, you'll be just fine. In fact, you'll be in an excellent (very convenient) location.

I too entered that competition but wasn't as lucky as you. However, not long to wait now as we sail on the 21st May :)

Thanks for the review. We were on the Navigator last year and it sounds very similar, but bigger.

This year we are trying an aft cabin (8410) . We usually book mid-ship so hope the loooooooong walk to the aft is worth the view and the extra balcony space.

I will be looking forward to your review and opinion of 8410 because we will be staying in it for the ta in November:)

I will be looking forward to your review and opinion of 8410 because we will be staying in it for the ta in November:)

Hi Sue & Rick,I will definitely let you know how it goes when I get back.By all accounts the distance from the centre of the ship where most of the entertainment happens to the aft cabins is approx the length of 2 football pitches so by the end of the night I reckon the high heels will be off and I will be walking back bare-foot. LOL!!

We have had a few aft cabins just not on a ship quite this big. I have made a few trips back to the cabin at night with the shoes off so you can start the trend on IOS for me to follow in your footsteps:D

I'm getting more excited now since you will get to experience it and let us know. don't forget to take pictures.

Since you entered the contest, are you in the UK? I just ask because we are leaving Tues to visit friends there.

Silly question, I'll bet you are from Blackpool!!

Hi Southcoaster

I sent your lovely report to my Mum who is crusing with us in August. I know this is a silly question, but she would love to know - what kind of toiletries do they have in the bathrooms??? Do you remember what was on offer and the brand? :rolleyes:

Hope you don't mind me asking...........but I said I would.

thanks everso

Lisa

Thank you very much for posting such an interesting review. I agree wholeheartedly with Liz - if you love cruising P&O then the RCL cruising may not appeal to you unless you have a younger outlook, teenagers or kids. It's extremely family orientated. I personally would find it hard to go back to P&O now.

We did a short trip on the Navigator and they put a party/disco in the Promenade which was such fun! It didn't last long and they don't do it often. We've also had the Promenade cabins and you won't hear any noise at all. This sounds my kind of ship!!

Thank you very much for posting such an interesting review. I agree wholeheartedly with Liz - if you love cruising P&O then the RCL cruising may not appeal to you unless you have a younger outlook, teenagers or kids. It's extremely family orientated. I personally would find it hard to go back to P&O now.

We did a short trip on the Navigator and they put a party/disco in the Promenade which was such fun! It didn't last long and they don't do it often. We've also had the Promenade cabins and you won't hear any noise at all. This sounds my kind of ship!!

Mine too and I know exactly what you mean ;) ;) And I don't even have kids, am in my 50s but guess I am young at heart.

One of our group has a promenade cabin too so will check out if there is any noise.

Thanks for posting the review.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to be so long in reply - internet problems! The toiletries consisted of 2 very small soaps and shampoo in a dispenser in the shower, unbranded. I would have been very disappointed with this but can only assume that this was because we wern't "real" guests as such, only 1 nighters! Best to ask the cruiseline! Hope your mum has alovely time!!

Archived