Help with hotel and transportation in Laguardia

I will be leaving on the Explorer in June and we are flying into Laguardia the night before the cruise leaves.

1. Can someone tell me who is familair with the area tell me if The Crowne Plaza at the Laguardia airport is the best place to stay. It looks as though it is one of the closest hotels to the Laguardia airport and has a free shuttle to get us to the Hotel.

2. Also I know it will take us about an hour to bet to Bayonne the next morning. What time should we leave and should we take a car service and how much will it cost?

Thanks for any help. We did not fly into Newark because it was a lot less expensive to fly into Laguardia.

I will be leaving on the Explorer in June and we are flying into Laguardia the night before the cruise leaves.

1. Can someone tell me who is familair with the area tell me if The Crowne Plaza at the Laguardia airport is the best place to stay. It looks as though it is one of the closest hotels to the Laguardia airport and has a free shuttle to get us to the Hotel.

2. Also I know it will take us about an hour to bet to Bayonne the next morning. What time should we leave and should we take a car service and how much will it cost?

Thanks for any help. We did not fly into Newark because it was a lot less expensive to fly into Laguardia.

The Crowne and the Marriott are across the street from each other. I think the Crowne has better business services, the Marriott's bar and food is better. The Marriott is totally non smoking, if that matters. The rooms in the rear of the Marriott overlook the runways, so if you are into planespotting, it is interesting. Both hotels are usually available on Priceline for about $100.00 per night. Bid 3*, La Guardia area. You are bound to get one or the other. The Crowne is also available sometimes on Quikbook for about the same amount.

Plan on 2 hours to get to the pier (New York traffic can come to a standstill at any time). I would leave about 11:00AM, use Dial 7 and the cost will be about $100.00 including tip. May be less if you can cut a deal.

Thanks for the info. I had no idea that it could take 2 hours to get to the pier. Is 1:00 early enough to get to the pier?

The PERFECT time, IMHO-the early, stand in line people are already boarded and the late one haven't got there yet.

Depending on the way you go, the Interstate 278 across the Verranzano Bridge to Rt 440, over the Bayonne Bridge is the fastest. But I have seen 278 (they call it the BQE) STOPPED and moving at about 1 mile per hour. Or you can cross through Midtown Manhattan. If traffic is bad, it can easily take 45 minutes from LGA to Midtown. Another 40 minutes to Bayonne. You just never know in NYC.

Allow the two hours. Enjoy!!!!

The Crowne and the Marriott are across the street from each other. I think the Crowne has better business services, the Marriott's bar and food is better. The Marriott is totally non smoking, if that matters. The rooms in the rear of the Marriott overlook the runways, so if you are into planespotting, it is interesting. Both hotels are usually available on Priceline for about $100.00 per night. Bid 3*, La Guardia area. You are bound to get one or the other. The Crowne is also available sometimes on Quikbook for about the same amount.

Plan on 2 hours to get to the pier (New York traffic can come to a standstill at any time). I would leave about 11:00AM, use Dial 7 and the cost will be about $100.00 including tip. May be less if you can cut a deal.

We stayed at the Crowne in October and ate in the bar and it was fine. Why do you think the Marriott's bar and food is better, in what way???? Does the Marriott have a sitting area in the lobby that is more than the Crowne???? Been trying to decide which of the two to stay at next month.....Thanks

We stayed at the Crowne in October and ate in the bar and it was fine. Why do you think the Marriott's bar and food is better, in what way???? Does the Marriott have a sitting area in the lobby that is more than the Crowne???? Been trying to decide which of the two to stay at next month.....Thanks

Food is too subjective. The Marriott BAR (not restaurant) has a lot of appetizers that make up a pretty good meal. The chocolate cake is especially good. The Prime Rib is also better at the Marriott. There is a sitting area, but I have never seen it used much. It kind of sits off the main "walkway"-restaurant is to the left as you walk in, check in is to the right, the sports bar is down the "walkway" a little on the left. The sitting area is NOT as conducive to sitting and reading the paper/people watching at the Marriott as it is at the Crowne.

It's really a toss up for me but I stay at either for business travel. Crowne has a better business center and the fax is considerably cheaper. Heck of a way to choose between hotels-the price of a fax. You can always walk across the street for the prime rib...

Food is too subjective. The Marriott BAR (not restaurant) has a lot of appetizers that make up a pretty good meal. The chocolate cake is especially good. The Prime Rib is also better at the Marriott. There is a sitting area, but I have never seen it used much. It kind of sits off the main "walkway"-restaurant is to the left as you walk in, check in is to the right, the sports bar is down the "walkway" a little on the left. The sitting area is NOT as conducive to sitting and reading the paper/people watching at the Marriott as it is at the Crowne.

It's really a toss up for me but I stay at either for business travel. Crowne has a better business center and the fax is considerably cheaper. Heck of a way to choose between hotels-the price of a fax. You can always walk across the street for the prime rib...

Thanks for the info, I guess we will just stay with the Crowne again. When we ate at the bar in the Crowne we just had appetizers too. You are right we can always check out the food across the street.

Also how long can it take to get to Red Hook? Is there still alot of construction on the BQE?? Thanks so much....

Also would it be worth it to try and get into Manhattan if we have time and what would be the best way to get there if we do go???

Greatam is right, it's best to budget extra time because traffic can be a nightmare especially with road construction. 10:30 to 11:00 is a good time to leave as the rush hour traffic will be over.

Archived