Vancouver Money Exchange

Hello. I will be arriving on a Princess cruise on a Saturday morning this summer in Vancouver from Alaska. Even though our BC stay will be short (2.5 days), including a full day bus tour to Butchart Gardens and Victoria, and we plan on using a credit card for most expenses, I would feel comfortable having some Canadian currency in my pocket for small purchases. Will there be a place at the dock when we arrive where I can change a $100 US or so into Canadian currency at a decent rate? If there is anything left over I am sure I can change it back at the airport or at the Seattle Airport where we change planes for NY.

Also, we will be taking a cab to the Vancouver airport. Do the Vancouver cabs accept credit cards? Thanks very much for your time and assistance.

I don't recall a currency exchange at Canada Place but if there isn't and if you are staying downtown you find any number of them as well as banks in the downtown area. You may just prefer to go to a bank and use your ATM card to draw the funds you want in CDN dollars. Changing it back to US dollars can be done at either airport.

Yes most of the cabs if not all accept credit cards. You just may want to check with your bank and see what kind of a fee that they charge on credit card transactions, some charge $2.50/$3.00 for each transaction made out of the USA.

Hello. I will be arriving on a Princess cruise on a Saturday morning this summer in Vancouver from Alaska.Will there be a place at the dock when we arrive where I can change a $100 US or so into Canadian currency at a decent rate?

Also, we will be taking a cab to the Vancouver airport. Do the Vancouver cabs accept credit cards? Thanks very much for your time and assistance.

You might also want to inquire at the purser's desk on board. Their rates should be pretty close to prevailing bank rates.

When you are ready to return to the US, ask your fellow travelers if anyone wants to buy your Canadian funds. Some might be staying in Canada and will want to do so. If you exchange back at a commercial place, you will be taking a beating on fees.

Archived