May 1st in Rome - Whats Closed?

As far as I know the museums will be closed. I have checked with the Coliseum and they are recorded as closed on May 1st.

Some shops will be closed.

The metro and the buses will be on holiday hours.

Restaurants will be open.

The post office, the banks and government offices will be closed.

If you are interested in Music there is a music festival in Rome on the day at San Giovanni

http://events.skyteam.com/sisp/?fx=event&event_id=15350

May 1st is Italy's "Labor Day." Its a Government Holiday .... things that you'd expect to be closed in the US on Labor Day will be closed in Rome. The Vatican is a government in itself and is closed. You should check the official web sites of places you want to visit to make certain they are open. Italy is funny about stuff like this. Transportation also runs on a "holiday schedule."

The official website says they are open.....but the only online tickets you can buy are a combo ticket for the Coliseum and palatino museum.

This says the tickets are unavailable for purchase because the museum is closed.

So I need to know how to buy tickets just for the Coliseum

Tony

...... hmmmm .... interesting.

I guess you could still see the Colosseum and skip the "museum."

I'm looking at Rick Steves' Rome 2008. I don't see any mention of a museum inside the Colosseum. There are some exhibits on an upper level listed and this may be closed. Anyway ... I think you'll be fine missing whatever is going to be closed.

....ahhhh, now I get it. The site you are looking at is selling a combo ticket for the Colosseum and the Palatine Hill exhibits. There is a museum on the Hill ... this may be what is closed. I still think between the Colosseum and the Forum you'll see plenty and the museum looks like a tiny area in STeves' diagram of the Palatine Hill.

Do you know about the Roma Pass? That may save you a hassle trying to figure out what's open and what's not.

http://www.romapass.it/english/lecard.html

IMHO..don't worry what is closed or open or what a site says...just wait until you get to Rome and see what it is you want to do..if open fine if closed move on..get any tickets then and there.There will be plenty to do and see even if a big holiday..trust me.

Archived