South America Feb. vs March?

rottyg

Trying to decide if there is a difference between Feb March on the itinerary? I read bad reviews about going on Jan-apparently crowded "unruly" kids all over the ship. Are Falkland Islands a must? Only place to see the penguins?

There are better rooms left on the March itinerary which does not include the Falklands.

:oHelp please

RottyG,

It's hard for me to make a comparison since I have only done it once but it was on the March 1 cruise of this year on the Celebrity Infinity. I have to say that after reading earlier reviews, I was really starting to wonder what we had gotten ourselves in for.

I have to say though, that for us, the March 1 cruise was amazing and it didn't even sound like we were on the same ship or cruise the previous accounts were discussing. I understand the Christmas cruise was the total nightmare with all the children running around, even in the dining rooms while they were trying to eat.

For us, the timing was perfect. We had amazing weather and since we were just coming off the summer vacation time in South America, many of the ports weren't nearly as crowded as they say some are during peak season.

My biggest fear was, "will the penguins be gone" by this time frame? We did two trips on this cruise to see penguins. We saw them at Magdalena Island off Punta Arenas as well as Punta Tomba ta Puerto Madryn. Both were incredible. I know that some people also saw them at Ushuaia, but we did the shorter Beagle Channel tour and saw mostly sea lions (sooooo much fun) and commorants. But wildlife was everywhere.

Perhaps someone that has cruise South America in Feb can cast their comments as well. We went to La Serena instead of the Faulkland Islands, so I can't tell you what you may miss by not doing that. My concern as I read reviews was that many were missing this port due to weather anyway so even if it's a port you are suppose to visit, there are never any guarantees, so we booked by where we could get the best rate and best cabin that was left and we were not even remotely disappointed in our decision.

Cathy

Trying to decide if there is a difference between Feb March on the itinerary? I read bad reviews about going on Jan-apparently crowded "unruly" kids all over the ship. Are Falkland Islands a must? Only place to see the penguins?

There are better rooms left on the March itinerary which does not include the Falklands.

Hi rottyg,

We had originally booked March and then switched to Feb 1-15 on Infinity because we had read so much about the penguins 'being gone' by March. As CathyK2 has said, they saw many at the ports they were in (and she has posted fabulous photos!). I believe the only place to see and get close to King penguins (the taller ones with the orange around the neck) is at the Falklands on the long trip to Volunteer Point. However, I have not been on this cruise yet, so am only reporting what I've read!

If you decide on the Feb 1 itinerary, come join the roll call!

Dot

I think Dec. 21-January 4 is the perfect time. OK I admit, I am trying to boost the roll call. I can't wait!

Your cruise will have a lot of South American extended families on it. Be prepared for large family groups and unruly kids.

We were on Dec 28-Feb in 2004 on Infinity and there were not many kids. There were SA couples but i don't remember many kids. I think Dec thru Christmas would be more kids.

• 3 weeks later...

You will see more penguins in February. Only Magellanic or ***** penguins in Purto Madryn and Punta Arenas except for the Falklands where you will see King and Gentoo penguins.

Most of the penguins might be gone by mid March. There is a reason why better rooms are available in March!

Archived