Stingray City

DKreinest11

We went through Moby Dick Tours and they were great. They were funny, helpful and nice to everyone. They made sure that those who wanted to swim with the rays, kiss one, feed one did just that. They were very mindful of the Rays when they parked their boat and even told a few captains that came up to be careful. Was great.

The rays have been there for years. They would wait for the fisherman to clean their catch. That is how it started. Now they hear the boats they come and expect to be fed. It is really cool. They are very soft and it is a really neat experience. :D

The rays have been there for years. They would wait for the fisherman to clean their catch. That is how it started. Now they hear the boats they come and expect to be fed. It is really cool. They are very soft and it is a really neat experience. :D OOPS!

They are technically wild but very tame and used to people. They know that feet in the water means food will be available and they're like puppies waiting for a treat, very docile and sweet, gentle. Enjoy!

First time cruiser, been reading the boards and I gathered that they actually DE-stinger the sting rays at the tourist attractions...is that true?

Nope, the barb is very much there. It's on top near where the body and tail meet, but it lies flat when the ray is not feeling defensive or threatened. This is why they tell you to do the "Sting Ray shuffle" when walking around where the Rays are, you shuffle your feet along the ocean floor rather than picking up and putting down your feet, and you never thrash or kick. Best bet is to just stand still and let them come to you, and come to you they will. Legs in the water to them means be nice and gentle because that's what gets fists full of chunks of squid to eat.

Enjoy!

Be careful how close to your body that you wave the squid. I made that mistake. Got a Stingray hickey! Let go of the squid....no more stingray attached to my chest. LOL:D

I bet you showed that one to your co-workers...and what a tale you told about it, probably!:cool: ;)

Archived