Emerald 1stAugust.

We are due to go on The Emerald on 1st August and we are a bit worried about the ship as this is the last year.Having said that we were on The Topaz oin her last year with Thomson.

I would appreciate any comments from early season travellers this season on The Emerald.

hi welsh cruiser hope i do bump into you,but if i don't

i'm sure you will have a great time :)

If you need any advice or questions about cruising just ask

and i'll try and answer them

One thing i will say is plan your packing,you will be amazed

how much you take and not wear!

Someone on the Holiday Truths site told me I should cancel my trip on the Emerald booked for October even if I lost the deposit "because the ship would be shabby and the crew upset and uncaring". Then went on to say they'd never actually been on the Emerald!!

I think some opinions shouldn't be shared unless it can be supported by experience. Clearly their experience of the Emerald was zero.

Someone on the Holiday Truths site told me I should cancel my trip on the Emerald booked for October even if I lost the deposit "because the ship would be shabby and the crew upset and uncaring". Then went on to say they'd never actually been on the Emerald!!

I think some opinions shouldn't be shared unless it can be supported by experience. Clearly their experience of the Emerald was zero.

There maybe an element of fact in there :(

On one of our first cruises, I'm not sure which ship, it was the end of season and sorry to say but they carried very little stock in the shop, the selection of spirits in the bars were limited, and yes the staff were below par.

Just had a thought and I'm sure the ship in question was the Bolero on one of her last trips before Airtours folded so the attitude of the staff etc was relative to their futures ??

I hope this doesn't happen to anyone !

• 1 month later...
We are due to go on The Emerald on 1st August and we are a bit worried about the ship as this is the last year.Having said that we were on The Topaz oin her last year with Thomson.

I would appreciate any comments from early season travellers this season on The Emerald.

Hi tallden, we were on the Thomson Emerald earlier this month for a week and was told by several of the crew that it is indeed the ships last season for cruising. She was built in 1958 and has been known as the Santa Rosa (Grace Line: 1958-71) and Regent Rainbow (Regency Cruises: 1992-95) before being chartered by Thomson.

It is old for a cruise ship but this is not really a problem; provided that you remember that it was converted to cruising from other uses some years ago and do not try to compare it with purpose the new, larger, purpose built cruise ships.

The cabins are pretty basic and some of the supposed lower grade cabins have considerably more space than the premier or superior outside plus grades.

The various lounges are quite nicely furnished and comfortable with the drinks prices being fairly comparable to home. Unless you drink quite a lot at night or have a high number of sea days (which on the Adriatic Cruise you do not) then we do not believe the inclusive drinks package to give value.;)

The Chanterelle main dining room is fine but generally has a maximum table capacity of 6 guests. We prefer larger but each to his (or her) own. The food was quite nice although not large in quantity with a small choice of dishes for each course. That said we had to "ask" two nights running before it was served hot and not just about warm.

Most of the ship's, very nice, guests were from the U.K. and seemed to suffer what our American friends call the British Disease which is to keep the stiff upper lip and not complain (except amongst themselves).

Our wine waiter was excellent all week with good service along with knowledgeable and intelligent advice on the choice available without any emphasis on selling the dearer wines.

Unfortunately the table waiters hardly smiled at all until the last 2 nights when they suddenly became very attentive, full of jokes and table tricks.

Le Bistro is the Emerald's self-serve buffet which does serve a variance of food but the hours it opens also varies on a daily basis so you have to check the daily newsletter rigidly.

The newsletter is also your main source of info' for items such as whether you will need tender tickets to get off the ship. I say this as the intercom system for announcements was a bit of a running joke with the crew as it sounded like Norman Collier on the Wheeltappers & Shunters club.:D It did, Honest!

The shops on board are neither well stocked or priced but do have most of the basic items. Again I remind that this is a small ship which is why some people like it so much.

The very good news is the quality of the entertainment team and cruise director. Their nightly shows were varied, well put together and executed with an on stage bonding that belied the fact that they have only been together as a team a very short time. 3 of the team shone like stars but You will I'm sure make up your own mind who they are. Certainly their friendliness away from the stage was as infectious as their professionalism whist on it.:):)

Do not cancel the cruise. Go on board with an open mind, take each day in your stride and enjoy the holiday.

I really appreciated your comments with regards to The Emerald.

It is only 5 weeks now to when we sail and we are starting to get excited about the cruise.

I have read many reviews recently and they all talk about the "warmth" of the ship.

I am sure we will enjoy it as we always have a positive stance on our holidays.

I have cruised 6 times with Thomson on various ships including The Topaz which I believe was The Emerald's sister ship.

Once again thanks for the review and comments.

Regards

Den.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi We had a great time on the Emerald but I see my review hasn't been posted yet. Our flight was delayed from Norwich so long we missed the sailaway from Corfu. As we were "go as you please" for our second week we arranged to stay with friends a week early and Thomsons got us on board for the Adriatic cruise instead of the Greek islands. She is an old :) ship but spotlessly clean and the food was very good, especially in the Chanterelle. We even managed a couple of the midnight buffets!! The room was great for us two but probably crowded for four adults. It was kept lovely and clean by our chambermaid, clean sheets every day and clean towels twice a day with beach towels provided. The entertainment was good, especially the "I'm and entertainer, get me out of here" on the pool deck on Thursday afternoon, a really good laugh. Gavin and his young team put on some great shows too. Venice was a dream and we loved Dubrovnik. The town wall walk is a must, hard work but worth it for the views. Not for the elderly though, too many steps. Took us 90 minutes as I am still recovering from a broken ankle. All in all another great cruise. Looking forward to the next one. Pity Thomson are getting rid of the Emerald, would have liked to sail on her again.:cool:

Archived