Formal nights

Dawn Berry

Hello All!

I've finally bit the bullet and got onto my internet explorer and logged on (since the change) (I'm AOL) :)

I have cruised Carnival, RCCL, Celebrity and Princess in the past. We are going to be on the Sun 12/2-12/12. (was on the Dawn 3 years ago). Well, the last 10 day cruise we took was on Celebrity 2 years ago and they had 3 formal nights. Since then, I have lost over 60 pounds and have recently purchased 3 really sexy formal gowns. But, I just recieved some brochures and flight iternerary from my TA today and it says that Princess only has 2 formal nights on it's 7-13 day cruises! I'm soo bummed! Is this true? If so, I am going to have to return one of the dresses :( (these dressed cannot be worn on any other night - they are way formal)

Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks!

Dawn

Aaaaaaawwww... sorry Dawn... But yes, it's only 2 formal nights. I know it's tough when you really want to flaunt your new and improved self.

Hey, why not change into your third dress after dinner for instance on either night so that you can wear all three of them. or better yet... keep it for next time you cruise, it'll make one more thing to look forward to.

If you won't feel comfy all dressed up in the dining room on one of the smart casual nights, why not make a non-formal night reservation at the specialty restaurant, Sterling Steakhouse, and make it your own personal formal night? I've often seen couples at the specialty restaurants dressed more formally than the evening's dress code and the atmosphere at the steakhouse is listed as "upscale."

Make your own romantic evening and be the envy of the other couples ;)

And congrats on the weight loss!!

Book another cruise!! You MUST get your monies worth on those dresses. I think it is the best excuse EVER!! "But honey we have to go on another cruise, I still have one dress left" :D

I agree with the poster about making a reservation for the speciality dining on a non-formal night and wearing one of the dresses then. Hopefully they will have a photographer doing casual photos that night, so you can have pictures done in each dress!

The only problem I can see with that is getting a guy to wear a suit or tuxedo three nights instead of two. :)

Congrats on the weight loss!

Bobbie

Thanks for all of the quick replys! What a fantastic idea to book a night at a specialty and wear the third dress! That is what we will do! I never even thought of that.

Actually, I am very very lucky (according to these boards), my husband LOVES to dress up! We would dress formally every night if we didn't look out of place! He even loves to help me shop for formal gowns (I now own about 12 that are 6 sizes too big - and they all have some sort of sentimental value that keeps me from giving them to someone who could wear them :) ) I told him about my discovery of only 2 formal nights tonight and he was very upset too, he didn't want me to return any of them (he had me put them all on again so we could try to make a decision). Our decision was that we would keep all of them, but now I can't wait to tell him about your super ideas! He will be thrilled!

Thanks for all of your help!

Dawn

Dawn, congrats on the weight loss. Please tell us your secret. Can I lose 60 pounds in 53 days?:D :D

I agree with all the other posters. Make rezzies at one of the specialty rooms and flaunt your new dress and figure. You will have a fantastic time.

Dawn: What a sweetie hubby you have. Mine too likes to dress up and very rare for men. He has his own tux and loves to wear it.

Your weight loss is something to be sooo proud of. Congrat. I would be thrilled to lose 10 before my sailing.

Thank you for all of the well wishing! I unfortunately didn't have much of a choice on the weight loss, last March I was diagnosed with an esophagial erosion that triggered my vagus nerve, 2 ulcers and a hiatal hernia - yipes! It is all gone now (except for the hernia which is what caused all of the trouble in the first place). I was put on a restricted diet that I took to heart. Less than 25-30 grams of fat per day and NO POP! (that was the hardest part!). I mostly eat fruits and veggies and fish and any type of bread I want. I always have one bite of whatever my husband is eating and to tell you the truth, that stuff just doesn't taste as good anymore. I feel badly for everyone who tries and tries to lose weight, because I never wanted to! I was very comfortable the way I was. I look fab now, but feel exactly the same, it is just a lot more fun to shop in the junior section instead of the women's section! I also eat all day long, I can no longer eat 3 regular size meals a day. Hence I am excited about the Lido deck on Princess - food 24 hours a day! I am a little worried about dinner though, my doctor gave me some extra strong meds for the trip as he is a little worried too. (but they do have the fit menu that I'm sure will be just fine with me!) oh, and BTW, I still eat sugar, contrary to most peoples beliefs that you can't lose weight eating sugar - I did. My main snack through the day is Maple/brown sugar flavored Mini wheats and I eat almost one box per day! (really I do!) It is what I snack on at work and in the car. I eat steak about once a week (only about 3 oz at a time though - it really upsets my stomach).

Thanks again for all of the replys! My husband was elated about the idea of dinner reservations at the specialty restaurant so that I can wear the third dress! - Less than two months to go!

Dawn

Archived