Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge

What can anyone tell me about the Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge? How easy is it to get to from downtown? Is it worth going to? How is it compared to Capilano? Thanks for all of your great help with our short stay in Vancouver.

Lynn Canyon suspension bridge is about 5 miles (as the crow flies) east of the Capilano one. It is a free attraction and in a park belonging to the Dist. of North Vanocouver. It is as nice as the Cap's but doesn't have all of the other trappings that the Cap has. There are a number of trails in the park that you can hike and it is quite acessable by both car and transit. About a mile above Lynn Canyon Park is a demonstration forest which you can also hike around in on trails and it is quite pretty and interesting.

Here is a transit link if you are interested.

http://www.translink.bc.ca/

I see from another thread that you are concerned about the cost of both the Cap bridge and Grouse Mt - if you just want the thrill of crossing a suspension bridge - walking through a forest and doing a short loop hike to a wooden bridge and a small waterfall then do the Lynn Canyon suspension bridge>

Here is a link to a web site outlining some of the features of the Park.

http://www.lynncanyonparkguide.bc.ca/guide.html#TwinFalls.

Even though as a local I can get an annual pass for the Cap bridge for something like $25.00 it has been years since I have done the bridge.

Save some money and do Grouse if the weather is clear - the Grizzly Bears are out of hibernation and playing and frolicking in the snow.

If you are doing the trip by bus it will be a little more confusing getting to Grouse from Lynn Canyon but it can be done.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks for both of your replies. Actually another person that is travelling in our group asked about the Lynn Canyon suspension bridge, so I told her I would check on it. We may still do the Capilano, just need to run it by all 3 of the couples travelling with us and see who wants to do what.

We did the Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge 2 years ago. We rode Amtrak to Vancouver for the day and were going to the Capilano Bridge. As we were talking to the Amtrak Conductor, we told her what our plans were for the day and she suggested the Lynn Canyon instead. We took public transportation all the way there and back and very enjoyable.

Having grown up in Vancouver we always went to Lynn Canyon when we were kids for two reasons...one it was free....two it was fun to hike down to Lynn Creek. It is a really great park and, in my opinion, one that does not get the promotion it deserves.

It is true that Lynn Canyon doesn't have the same features that Capilano Bridge has....totem poles....carving and First Nations entertainment....walk through the tree tops...the gift shop....etc. but Lynn canyon certainly deserves a hard look in my opinion.

Someone said that it might be a good idea to save the money you spend on Capilano and use it to go up Grouse Mt. on the skyride....if it is clear day I would agree with that plan whole heartedly. That would be a great day!!

As for getting to Lynn Canyon Park - it will depend on your starting point.

Use the link given by PD above to the translink web site - put in your starting point - if staying downtown pick an attraction - then put in Lynn Canyon Park for your destination- this should give you the routes that are needed - if it asks for a time of day or day of the week put in when you think you will be traveling

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

What many visitors to Vancouver do not understand is that we live in a rain forest! Most people believe you have to have heat and humidity to have a rain forest...and while it is true you do find rain forests in hot and humid parts of the world...a huge rain forest stretches from southern Oregon to Alaska...and that includes Vancouver.

Places like Lynn Canyon, Capilano Canyon, Grouse Mountain, etc. are the most beautiful places in the world on a sunny day in summer! They are also absolutely miserable on a cool rainy day!

It depends what time of the year you are here....so just keep that in mind!

If you use public transit you should get a pretty nice ride on the Sea Bus - that gives you a great view of Vancouver from the north shore side :o)

Lynn Canyon gets in the news a few times every summer - some idiot is always jumping off the sides into the pool below! Was tempted as a kid but always chickened out. Dad was search and rescue for North Van FD so would have caught heck lol.

It is a beautiful spot! Enjoy!

Hi everyone,

We have been asking for lots of advice on this board for our short stopover in Vancouver. We spent quite a bit of time this weekend on the translink website. It is a wonderful site. So after lots of investigating, here are our plans: Land at airport at 10:35 am. Take limo (we have 6 people) to Hampton Inn and Suites and either check in early (called and asked them to try) or just get them to hold our luggage. Pick up day passes for bus system at 7-Eleven. Then buses and sea bus to Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge (weather permitting). Take another combination of seabus and bus to Granville island for more sightseeing and dinner at 6:45 pm at the Sandbar Restaurant. I realize this is a lot to cover in a short time span and we will adjust as time and weather permit, but hope it all works out well. We will be in Vancouver in a little over 2 weeks!

Archived