Going to Whistler after cruise

jhinjhin

We are cruising Alaska in June and extending the trip with visits in Canada. We were thinking of going up to Whister and doing the zip lines and maybe some white water rafting. Anyone ever been there?

Also will spend a few days in Vancouver - any suggestions?

I'm not an expert on the area, but plan ahead and leave plenty of time. I tried to go after my cruise last year and there was a lot of construction going on with some significant delays. Could be that's all cleared up, but with the Olympics coming, I'm not sure.

We are cruising Alaska in June and extending the trip with visits in Canada. We were thinking of going up to Whister and doing the zip lines and maybe some white water rafting. Anyone ever been there?

Also will spend a few days in Vancouver - any suggestions?

If you are in the Vancouver area for more than a few days that a trip to Whistler is a very good idea. You will have to plan a full day up there and yes there is highway construction going on on the way up there with highway closures but you can schedule around that. It is just to beautiful to miss.

In Vancouver, where does one begin? Stanley Park and its Aquarium, Gastown where the city began, Granville Island, Grouse Mountian or the other mountains of the north shore, Seymour or Hollyburn, the Capilano Suspension Bridge, Cleveland Dam, Capilano fish hatchery, Queen Elizabeth Park, Van Dussen Gardens, Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge and Demonstration Forest, the shops of Robson Street, Pacific Centre, and Yaletown, the Museum of Antropology at UBC, the Maritime Museum........

We were in Whistler for a ski vacation at the end of March. There were significant delays getting to the resort from Vancouver because of major construction on the highway. Unless you go at odd times (early in the morning, late at night), I would make sure you have extra time to get there and back. Once there, we had a great time! It is a beautiful area with many amenities. I'd be curious to see it in the summer - maybe next time.

- Erin

We stayed 5 days in Whistler last September. We did the zip line, bear tour and a helicopter ride with a landing on a glacier.

There are two zip line outfits in town, make sure you go on the "Ziptrek" and not the "Skyline". Skyline had some safety issues and was forced to shut down just before we were there. We had a terrific time on Ziptrek Eco tour.

The bear tour was with Michael Allen and he has been studing the bears there for thirteen years. The tour was in a surburban that allowed only six people. There was no question that the guy couldn't answer. We saw probably 10 bears and most were really, really close. Wonderful tour.

The helicopter tour was out of this world but only lasted about 45 minutes.

Archived