Dive report: Aruba 4/22/08

jtonra

I just returned from a week on the Adventure of the Seas and figured I'd post a quick report on the diving I did.

Aruba:

Normally, I try to arrange my own excursions, but for a variety of reasons, I decided to use the ship excursion this time and it worked out just fine. We met at the "dive shop" on-board and headed out from there. The dive boat picked us up on the cruise pier (about a five minute walk). Dive operator was Red Sail. They tend to get mixed reviews here and on other boards but I've used them several times in Aruba and have always been happy with them. In this instance there were only six divers on the boat with a captain and a dive master.

The first dive was on the Antilla wreck. The Antilla is a great dive which I've done many times before and have no problem repeating as it's a beautiful site. One side of the wreck is so covered with coral and sponge it feels like a wall dive. Saw lots of fish and macro life as well as several eels. Bottom time on this dive was about 45 minutes with a max depth of 51 fsw.

Second dive was the Pedernalis "wreck". I wasn't crazy about doing this dive as my log book notes from last time noted it as "disappointing". The DM told me not to worry, that it would be a great dive and she was right. Last time must have been a fluke. We covered quite a bit of area and saw a large variety of life and it was very enjoyable. Bottom time again was about 45 minutes with a max depth of 25fsw.

Glad to hear you had a great time - we usually hear a bit of grumbling about the cruise trip on Aruba, and that the viz is crappy on their dives. How was your viz, and what was the sea condition?

We usually have great viz, but also get bounced around a bit (2-4ft) as we end up down there in late February or early March.

For next time, if you're into small boats and extended dive time, we go with Clive at Dive Aruba. http://www.divearuba.com His boat is in the marina right there, and he picks up right at the port gate.

Usually, the first dive tends to be deep, and my ears don't really like going below 80 or so, so I do a champagne on the first one until everyone comes back up a bit.

Clive also does a maximum dive time... usually 1:00 on the first one, and 1:15 on the second. ;) Of course, I'm usually freezing my a&& off by then, but I do like to get my tank below 1500psi. Air in my tank is a horrible thing to waste.

Wendy

Hi Wendy,

I actually corresponded with Clive via email and was close to booking with him. The main reason I dove with the ship excursion is that I knew what time I'd be back to the ship and I needed to meet up with another afternoon excursion with my family. Clive couldn't be sure he'd get me back to the ship in time to meet up with my afternoon excurson.

The viz on my two dives was about 40 - 50 feet. Not great, but typical (in my experience) for Aruba.

jim

Nice to hear that you enjoyed the Pedernalis. We were there in december and wondered why they were wasting our time with it. I guess it's hit or miss. we would have preferred a second dive on the Antilla. There's just so much sea life you can't possibly see it all in one dive.

Absolutely - the timing is critical when you're meeting up with family for other stuff... a short dive is better than no dive at all.

We've had some trips back before noon, and the last one was almost 2:30 as we had a boat full of folks that needed gear (and help with it). Also, somehow I was last off the boat instead of first, and that certainly doesn't make for a fast trip. ;)

Our experience with the viz has been a bit better, but we have been doing different sites.

Have a great weekend!

Wendy

Archived