One Thread scared the daylights out of me

WinnieinWA

I've only been on 3 cruises, inside cabin twice and balcony once. My dream was to take my adult kids and spouses on a cruise before I get too old to cruise. Due to some major celebratory events happening this summer I wanted to celebrate so I reserved an Owners Suite for 5 of us and a mini suite for 2 on NCL Sun for Alaska mid August. Now the scarey part:

One thread on here said one can't feasably use a foreward balcony while ship is sailing. I paid a lot of money for an OS and it is foreward.

Should I be worried we won't be able to use our balcony and hot tub while sailing?

I didn't even think about that when I booked. I just wanted a great room for my family to gather in and enjoy the balcony together.

There's plenty to do onboard and we'll have a blast no matter what but I really am curious. Any one have that room and willing to share the ups and downs of it?

Thanks,

The ship will be typically moving at 18 knots or so (21 mph) so you would expect wind about that strong. If you have a tail wind, it could be pretty nice, but if you are sailing into a strong headwind you would not want to be out there, I'm sure.

I think that would be the perfect cabin for Alaska. And sailing the Alaska itinerary isn't as windy as the Transatlantic on the thread you are talking about that you saw.:) You'll be able to see everything from the comfort of your room (and balcony) and it should be perfect. That's my opinion and I hope you come back and leave a review as I'm looking at this cabin myself for Alaska.:D

All I can say is I did Alaska in August, on the Sun, in an AD, forward balcony. We used the balcony everyday and wind was no issue except the very linited time we were in the open ocean. Keep in mind most of the time you are cruising slowly on the inside passage. I even hosted a M&G on my balcony the first "sea" day. Nobody blew away. Everyone enjoyed the remarkable views.

Thanks to all of you for responding and setting my mind at ease. I will definitely do a review on my Alaska cruise....

One of the reasons for booking the OS was to enjoy the stunning views and as long as we can do that I'm happy.

Thanks to all of you!

I don't know if it matters or not but my husband and I had our balcony door opened practically our whole cruise to the caribbean. It was on the Sun. We had it opened on sea days and port days......we even had rough seas a couple of days and still used the balcony.

I hope this helps...

Enjoy your cruise.

Archived