Any recent Moby Dick reviews?? How rough will the water be this week???

RN7997

Just wondering if anyone has done the 3 hr trip with Moby Dck lately?? We will be in GC next week on the Liberty of the Seas. I read a reveiw from last week (with a different tour co) about how rough the water is. Last year we did RRR with nativeway and it was cloudy adn cool since the sun wasn't in but not rough. I am a little nervous.....I have no desire to go out if it is rough, especially with my kids. How can I predetermine this??? We have not paid yet....its cash in person.

How can I predetermine this???

In short, you can't. At least not this early in the game. Weather forecasts are just not that accurate this far in advance.

How rough the water is is directly dependent upon the wind speed, direction, and duration it has blown from the same direction.

Higher wind speed gives you more waves in general. This is particularly so for waves over the open seas.

If the winds are from certain directions, waves may be blocked by the island's landmass or the reef resulting in calmer seas at the Stingray Sandbar. If the direction changes just a few degrees it could result in a funneling effect resulting in higher waves at the Sandbar.

Finally, the longer the wind blows from the same direction, the more the ocean swell can build. This can bring a different kind of long period wave which can have effect even in the North Sound. This can result in some interesting current as the water surges in and out of the narrow channels, particularly the channel near the Original Stingray City.

did this tour with Moby Dick on the 15th -- our ship had to anchor in spot's bay instead of where they normally do. This was due to a shift in the wind and the other bay being too rough for tendering. Moby Dick operators said the water was a little rougher than normal on the sandbar but I didn't think it was too bad. We had a blast.

For decision making purposes if your ship has to anchor in the alternate bay that could indicate rougher water on the sandbar.

Hope this helps

also... even though we tendered in to a alternate location the tour company was there waiting.

Just wondering if anyone has done the 3 hr trip with Moby Dck lately?? We will be in GC next week on the Liberty of the Seas. I read a reveiw from last week (with a different tour co) about how rough the water is. Last year we did RRR with nativeway and it was cloudy adn cool since the sun wasn't in but not rough. I am a little nervous.....I have no desire to go out if it is rough, especially with my kids. How can I predetermine this??? We have not paid yet....its cash in person.

I just posted on another thread. I wouldnt recommend them. nice people but lousy school bus transport and they made us wait at pier for almost an hour trying to fill the bus with customers.

We used them in December ... they told us in advance that it was rough on the sandbar but it was up to us ... we opted to go - ROUGH is not the word we were drenched within 10 minutes of getting out of the channel they use - they got us to the bar and then took us all back to the pier and refunded our money with no questions ... we still gave them a nice tip ...

So with your kids along, if they tell you it is rough on the bar, I'd opt out!

Archived