Thoughts about Maui days...would like feedback

jitbug

I am so happy that we are now in Maui until 6 on the second day. I think my itinerary for day 2 is set but would like some advice for day 1.

Day 1: I'd like to see Lahaina and Whaler's Village. My dh and I are both originally from New Bedford, MA so the whaling history is important to us. I believe most of the whaling ships that sailed out of Maui were originally New Bedford based boats. We have two children 19 and 16 who are avid snorkelers. We'd also like to do a snorkel warmup on day 1. I've seen conversations about Ka'anapali and that area. We have the whole day and a rental car along with our own snorkeling equipment. Any suggestions for a long day?

Day 2: Snorkeling/sailing cruise with Paragon in the am returning by 12:30. Hit the Iao Valley on the way back to the ship....Is there anything else in the area we should do before we head back to the ship?

Thanks for the help.

jitbug -

when are you going to be in Maui? That will help with the snorkeling suggestions.

The best snorkeling on Kaanapali is at Black Rock (the north end of the Kaanapali hotel strip - up at the Sheraton). There is a family of sea turtles that live there. You will enjoy them!

Whaler's Village has a whaling museum - and a whale skeleton - but is primarily a shopping and restaurant center. I really enjoy eating at Leilani's there. Hula Grill is also good but Leilani's is my personal fave of the two. Also, you mentioned taking a snorkeling trip on the second day - but there is a great boat that goes off of Kaanapali right next to Whaler's Village (at the Westin) - it's called the Gemini. I've taken whale watches with them and plan to take a snorkel trip with them next year. They are great! http://www.geminicharters.com/snorkel.htm

Let us know when you are going to be in Maui and we can better direct you to the other snorkeling spots for the time you will be there. (fyi - if you are there in the summer, many of us will recommend some places up around/above Kapalua...but if you're there in the winter, the water is too rough so we'll direct you to other areas...that's why I'm asking when you'll be travelling)

Beach4me...thanks for the snorkeling recommendations. We will be there at the very end of June. Though we already have reservations with Paragon, I'm going to check out Gemini...thanks for the tip.

If anyone has any drive suggestions for hitting Lahaina, Ka'anapali, or any good sites or snorkeling beaches for the first day, I'd really appreciate. I'm not sure how to navigate through the first day.

Patti

Since you will be there in summer, you will be able to go to Honolua Bay for some of Maui's best snorkeling. Check your catamaran trip though - chances are that it will probably take you there. If it does, you probably don't want to drive up there on your first day. If it doesn't, then you'll want to go there for the day to snorkel. Honolua Bay/Slaughterhouse Beach are up north of Kapalua. It is only a short drive from Lahaina. Here's a couple links -

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/maui/beaches/HonoluaBay.htm

http://www.homeandabroad.com/viewSiteDetails.ha?mainInfoId=81811

If you are up in the Kapalua area, the Pineapple Grill at Kapalua is a wonderful place to eat (both lunch and dinner). It is one of my favorite restaurants (if not my favorite!) on the island.

Lahaina is a great town to walk around. After your day of snorkeling, you can head back to Lahaina. I don't know what day of the week you will be in Maui but if you are there on Friday, Friday night is Art Night in Lahaina. All of the galleries host a "gallery crawl" for lack of another description.

There are several restaurants in Lahaina but in my opinion, the 2 stand-outs are Lahaina Fish Company (be sure to ask them to substitute the Maui onion mashed potatoes for the rice if your dish comes with the rice...the rice is good but the mashed potatoes are FABULOUS!) and Kimo's. If you got to Kimo's, order the Hula Pie. Kimo's is the original home of the Hula Pie. Yummm!

The place to gather in Lahaina is under the Banyan Tree. Be sure to take time to sit on a bench under the tree and just relax...enjoy the spirit of aloha. But grab an ice cream cone from Lappert's (on the corner of Front St right across from the tree) to enjoy under the tree too! In the tree's courtyard is the visitor's center - it is in the old courthouse. They have some nice Lahaina art posters in the visitor's center, as well as many other Hawaii gift items. You might want to stop in there if you have the time. The tree is also right at the wharf. You mentioned New Bedford, MA...I love the harbor and I bet you do too...I like to walk along the wharf. It's not that big. But I love Lahaina harbor. (btw - there are some really pretty harbor posters at the visitor's center.)

As you drive from Kaanapali into Lahaina, if you hang to the right and follow Front St as soon as you can (go behind the Cannery instead of staying on the highway), you will come across the Lahaina Jodo Mission. I always point this out to people because so many people miss it.

http://gohawaii.about.com/library/weekly/aa061499.htm

Back to snorkeling for a minute...keep in mind that snorkeling is better in the morning on Maui. So you might want to plan to start your day with that and then enjoy the rest of the day working your way back down Kaanapali/Whaler's Village and through Lahaina. I'm glad that you will be there in the summer and have a chance to snorkel at Honolua Bay. I hope that either you catamaran trip takes you there or you make it up there on your own.

I'm sure you'll get some other input this weekend. Enjoy!

Archived