Christmas Cruise

I would like some info on how it was to sail during the holidays. This will be my first Christmas away from a typical family holiday and I was wondering how the cruise lines handle this.

My husband and I are sailing on the Freedom of the Seas on 12/21/08.

Thanks for any help.

countdown.pl?name=waytogofromhere&date=12-21-2008&image=Beach-10&text=&ship=Freedom of the Seas

Although the ship was beautifully decorated, it was very crowded. Most people seemed to be members of large family groups. We honestly decided we would not cruise over Christmas again.

That said, if it's the only time you can take a cruise, go for it!

We were on the Grandeur, Christmas 2005, had a great time, ship nicely decorated. On Christmas morning, the captain came on the PA, and said that if some of us had noticed that the ship had slowed down, not to worry, they had seen a small blip on the radar screen and had shut down one ofthe engines, in case it was Santa, and he needed to use the funnel. About 30 Mins later, Santa arrived on the pool deck handing out gifts, great for the kids:D

We sailed Mexican Riviara on Christmas and had a wonderful time. Cruise ship was all decorated, they sang christmas carols and had egg nog Christmas Eve. Santa came for the kids, AND we got off to the beach Christmas day!!!!

Would definitley do it again!

We've cruised the last two Christmases and have this Christmas booked as well. We absolutely love it. It's just the two of us as we have no children, but we adopt our cabin steward, other CC members, and our tablemates. It's not for everybody, but it has certainly worked for us. Love, love, love heading for the beach on Christmas Day. Caroling on Christmas Eve is also a lot of fun.

If we could afford to cruise every Christmas we would.

Yes, the ship is crowded, but every single cruise we have taken the ship has been sold out. We can generally only cruise during the most popular times of the year. There are more family groups aboard, but it's nice, far less of a party crowd.

We were also on the Majesty last Christmas. On Christmas day we skipped the Bahamas and just parked for the day in the middle of the ocean.

The ship was nicely decorated and they had a very balanced approach about it. There was a time for caroling in the atrium and the kiddos met Santa for a present, but it was very respectful and not in your face and over the top.

We will be booking for next Christmas as well. I was surprised by the number of just couples without kids and families. We have no kiddos and met many others the same. Aside from a little bit of a Christmas program stuff, if you wanted to participate, it was like any other cruise. I only saw a couple of cruisers wearing Santa hats, I don't recall seeing any of the crew wearing Santa hats.

Not everyone celebrates Christmas.

We hung up some battery powered lights around the mirror and left our Stewardess a card and $$ Christmas morning. She hugged and kissed us when we came back to the cabin and was tearful for not being home with her family.

We sailed over Christmas in 2006. The only real issue is stuff being closed in ports of call due to the holiday. We had to cancel one shore excursion in Nassau because the Astrida (sp) gardens were closed. But other than that, it was great.

I was on the Navigator two years ago over Christmas. The decorations were nice. They had big gingerbread houses on the promenade, a large tree, it looked festive without being tacky.

Santa was in Studio B on Christmas morning handing out gifts to the kids and there was caroling at night.

I know the ship was full, but it never seemed like we had to wait for anything.

I just booked a New Year's cruise for this year because my school vacation works better with the week after.

We did a family (my mom & dad, sister & brother in law, husband & myself) Christmas cruise three years ago before anyone had little ones, and it was absolutely wonderful! I am looking forward to when the little ones get old enough so we can do it again. We were at sea on Christmas, so we didn't have to worry about holiday closings for stores/excursions. The ship was beautifully decorated, and Santa made a visit for the kids. It was also Hanukkah during the same time, and RC held services for people celebrating Hanukkah too, which was a nice touch, considering how few turned out. I highly recommend a Christmas cruise!

We were on a Christmas and New Year cruise in Dec 2005.

We loved the cruise itself, the ship was decorated really nice and there were tons of kids everywhere:eek: .

To me and this is just my opinion, we have children who are older, one married and SD in her teens. No Grandchildren yet. The holidays to me are about family...

That said we wwent with another couple which are not kid oriented at all. Christmas Eve there was caroling which was fun but made me sad w/o my kids and family. Christmas Day we were sailing so we enjoyed the sun most of the day and had a formal dinner that night.

New Years Eve was boring to us. People were so tired by that time and there just was not that feeling and celebration that we always feel being home over the holidays with family and friends.

If you are not family oriented this is for you. Honestly, I was so home sick for my family that it did take a lot of the enjoyment out of the entire cruise.

I would never cruise over the holidays again unless my family was with us.

Went on Christmas Cruise 2007, Enchantment, with DW and 4 children.

This was our first Christmas not with either of our sizable families. Was also first cruise with children.

WE LOVED IT.

The holidays were relaxing, kids loved it. The only item my DW did not care for was the lack of a formal Christmas Mass. We attended mass on board.

Don't get me wrong, DW also loved it, that was the only, and I mean only negitive.

Eddie Wilson

Archived