Shoe help on excursions please, I leave May 4...

AandBmom

I'm not exactly sure what kinds of shoes I'll need for my excursions can someone with experience please comment.

Cozumel: hired a personal driver to see the island, beach a little, etc. - wearing comfy walking sandals.

Grand Cayman - swimming with stingrays then island tour - what do I wear in the water? Can I touch the bottom? Is it sandy? I get a little grossed out standing on anything in water other than sand.

Belize - cave tubing - what do I wear while on the tube - bare feet?

Roatan - ziplining, bridges and wall climbing - what should I wear here?

Thanks a bunch, this is all new to me.

Would you recommend Crocs or tennis shoes for getting in and out of a boat? And please, no cracks about my Crocs! :D

:cool: I won't make cracks about your crocs but you need something with much more support and snug fit than crocs for walking/hiking excursions. The aqua shoes are a good suggestion and will suffice for most excursions. Besides being ugly (sorry) I have seen too many accidents with crocs - walking out of them, twisting over on them, falling off the feet as stepping on to a transfer (that was the worst one) Believe, I have tried them and they are comfy but just not suitable in alot of cases.:cool: :cool:

One thing you have to watch out for with the Crocs is slipping on the wet deck of the tender or even on the cruise ship. DS wore his on our last cruise and slipped on a wet spot on the Lido deck. We all have the surf shoes and the sandals with the "all terrain" soles on them for this next cruise.

I have a terrific pair of colombia all terrain sandals that double as my water shoes and use those for tubing, hiking, kayaking, zip lining etc and plain ole flip flops for general wear.

When we were in Grand Cayman, they wouldn't allow us to wear any water shoes while we were in the water with the sting rays. I wore aqua shoes on the excursion but had to take them off before we got in.

I boght a great pair of Tevas that work as water shoes, hiking shoes and took the place of sneakers for general "walking around"- they are awesome! Got them from Zappos.com who does free overnight shipping, too!

Tevas are fine for the cave tubing as long as they are ones that velcro on. (I have a pair of flip flop ones that don't.) The important part here is that you want shoes that don't slip off -- I know my crocs would.

That said, some of the cave tubing expeditions will rent you aqua socks for $4 I think. That said, I was at Walmart today and they were selling at least the older children's version for $4.88.

Archived