Is an all gay cruise really worth the price?

masdolphin

We have considered several all gay cruises but have opted for a standard cruise due to the price. Is it really worth paying double or more for a the same exact cruise except its all gay? It seems a cruise we could do for $500 pp is $1000 to $1300 pp on an all gay cruise venue. I am told they bring in DJ's have more lighting etc, but do they really spend as much as it costs for the ship to operate for the extras that are on a gay cruise?

We have considered several all gay cruises but have opted for a standard cruise due to the price. Is it really worth paying double or more for a the same exact cruise except its all gay? It seems a cruise we could do for $500 pp is $1000 to $1300 pp on an all gay cruise venue. I am told they bring in DJ's have more lighting etc, but do they really spend as much as it costs for the ship to operate for the extras that are on a gay cruise?

The answer to your question is YES!

Are your prices right. I have never run into an ordinary cruise in the same general time period to be nearly as cheap as half the price of RSVP.

I agree -- yes it is worth the cost. It is hard to explain why it is such a special experience. The entertainment and parties are certainly excellent, but there is also an ambience to being on an all-gay cruise that makes it memorable and special. Whether it is worth spending the extra money depends, of course, on your budget and your own preferences. I have been on four cruises, one of which was a gay cruise. That's about the right percentage for me; its worth it as a special treat about once every four trips.

Judging by the sheer number of passengers on the January Atlantis trip aboard Liberty of the Seas waiting for hours while on vacation to book their next Atlantis vacation, the majority of past passengers would answer "yes", it's worth it.

Do they spend the additional revenue on onboard fun? I don't see how they make a huge profit. They don't just tape up couple of streamers and bring on Charo. Oh, wait. Charo, yes! It's a full on production from the moment you walk into the terminal until the goodbyes on the gangway.

Plus, there's the powerful sense of camaraderie. A terrific energy everywhere. At dinner, in the elevators, during the shows and certainly at the various parties. It's hard to buy that on a mainstream cruise.

Try it once. If you don't like it, mainstream cruises will still be around too.

Judging by the sheer number of passengers on the January Atlantis trip aboard Liberty of the Seas waiting for hours while on vacation to book their next Atlantis vacation, the majority of past passengers would answer "yes", it's worth it.

Do they spend the additional revenue on onboard fun? I don't see how they make a huge profit. They don't just tape up couple of streamers and bring on Charo. Oh, wait. Charo, yes! It's a full on production from the moment you walk into the terminal until the goodbyes on the gangway.

Plus, there's the powerful sense of camaraderie. A terrific energy everywhere. At dinner, in the elevators, during the shows and certainly at the various parties. It's hard to buy that on a mainstream cruise.

Try it once. If you don't like it, mainstream cruises will still be around too.

Great post, you hit the nail right on the head! :)

I've never been on an all-gay cruise, only gay group cruises, but I have to say that the difference is all about the atmosphere, just like how vacationing at Provincetown isn't the same as vacationing at Wildwood or Ocean City. I can easily see how that difference, plus the parties, make it worth the higher cost. They are two very different kind of vacations. If you just want the cruise experience and don't mind cruising with "the usual crowd" and censoring our PDA--which is how we feel--then I'd stay with the mainstream cruises.

Atlantis and RSVP surely don't miss my business considering how well they're doing, and I'm glad they're an option.

Thanks to all for your answers, we appreciate it. "It's a full on production from the moment you walk into the terminal until the goodbyes on the gangway". sounds alot better than a few djs and extra lighting, so it could be a good idea for us. Weve already booked this years vacation, but maybe next year we will try one of these, they sound like alot of fun.

I used to think the price wasn't worth it but then I went on my first RSVP cruise in 2005 and had the time of my life. It is worth it and I must have known about 150 people from the SF Bay Area on that cruise. There is a lot more entertainment like Amy & Freddy and Mark Allen Smith and church Bingo with Sister Helen and I am now a believer and have another cruise planned for Feb 2009. Also RSVP now allows full cancellation with not penatlies 150 days or more in advance which I just love. It was also great to see the crew's positive reaction to such a charter.

I do believe it is definitely worth the extra money. And it is only about $500 more than a non gay cruise.

I think it has to be an individual decision. Is it worth it? Sure, I've been on an RSVP cruise and it was fantastic! But if someone doesn't have a lot of money for travel, they may prefer to economize and take a regular cruise.

It's worth noting that some people from more rural areas, or cities without big gay communities, feel gay cruises are where they can go to experience gay community. People who do have strong gay networks at home might feel more interested in mainstream cruises. Just a difference I've spotted when these discussions have come up in the past.

I appreciate what was said in the last post from etoile! You're absolutely correct about it depending on what the community is like that you live in. My partner and I live in Ft Lauderdale which has a very large gay community (which I really love)! But when I lived in the Central Florida area the community was not as large or, should I say, "visible". We are going on our first cruise together and we opted to go on a "mainstream" sailing this time, but I would love to go on an all gay cruise one day. We've heard that Olivia has a nice one, but the prices are very expensive! I wouldn't want it be all women onboard though. A nice mix would be nice! Need more info on RSVP and Atlantis....

It's worth noting that some people from more rural areas, or cities without big gay communities, feel gay cruises are where they can go to experience gay community. People who do have strong gay networks at home might feel more interested in mainstream cruises. Just a difference I've spotted when these discussions have come up in the past.

Absolutely. Living in a major city within easy driving distance of Provincetown, I can take the availability of that atmosphere for granted.

Even then, I'm only speaking for myself, because I've met several men in Boston who love the RSVP/Atlantis experience.

I've only been on Atlantis chartered cruises; they run me right about $2200 for an interior cabin, on a 7 or 8 night cruise. I've never been on one of their cruises where I didn't have a ball.

Next April I have a reservation on a mainstream, 10-night cruise with Princess and it's $1,800. It's going to be interesting to compare the gay chartered with this upcoming one.

I guess it depends on the individual and their needs.

To us, the price is worth it. We're not into cruising, but we do love big gay events surrounded by gay people (Pride, Gay Rodeo, etc.). So to us, the only cruise we could consider would be a gay one. It's the cmaraderie that gets us there, the ships/ports are just icing.

this is probably one of the most popular topics in the G/L forum. As others have said before, it very much depends on the individual(s), but those who have done a gay cruise, usually end up doing more of them. With each cruise holding X,000's of pax, you will get opposing views if you search them out. However, scanning the various threads on this same topic will show you that the majority of posters believe that they are worth the price.

again, your mileage will vary, you can find an opposing viewpoint, etc.

Partner and I are doing our 15th and 18th (respectively) Atlantis vacation this summer. We definitely consider them good value for our vacation dollar.

We have only been on RSVP cruises so cannot compare it to regular cruises. That does not mean I won't go on a regular cruise, it is just that right now we are just having so much fun on RSVP cruises that we are booking a cruise a year out. And we want to do other vacation stuff too, we cannot spend it all on a cruise ship (or can we?!)

We live in New York City so it is not as if we are looking for a gay or gay-friendly environments, but we know (and have met) people from other parts of the country (and world) that do not have that luxury and for them it seems an even more special.

We have now made lots of friends - especially through Cruise Critic - so that every cruise seems like a reunion. It's like coming back to gay camp every year.

My partner and I did not originally plan to book for next year's Eurodam cruise but at one point on the Zuiderdam cruise we just looked at each other and said: we are having way too much fun not to do this again.

It may be more expensive than a regular cruise but it is such a great experience. Yes, there are lots of partying but you only do as much as you feel like doing. And the extra entertainment they bring on board is good - a cruise will just not be the same for me without Church Bingo!

From what they have told us, the crew love gay charters too. "You are all so friendly and ready to have fun, we love it", they tell us. The crew apparently also get more privileges on gay charters and at some levels are are encouraged to participate in the parties and events. And they do!

Having been on regular cruises and all gay charters, I have to say it's worth the price to us. It's worth it for:

* better entertainment choices all around.

* no children

* other passengers are better behaved towards the staff, in the dining room, in the theater, etc.

* getting to be ourselves without worrying about "gauging" the situation.

The only way we're going to do regular cruises again is when we have to take our mothers on a cruise sometime in the future.

Not that there's anything with gay family cruises... if that's your thing. :)

Certainly! I've never been on one so I couldn't say, that was all I was sayin'. That and I prefer my vacations to be as child-free as possible. I love my nieces and nephews and my friends children, I just don't want to travel with any.

I think it is worth it to try at least once. I've been on Atlantis and thoroughly enjoyed the entertainment, camarderie, and the service from Atlantis to beleive that is worth it. However, the drawback besides higher price is that the itineraries are limited. There are only a few places that are accomodating to our community, so you really don't get to a great choice of brand new islands or places each year. I really would like to go on another Atlantis, but I just like many of their itineraries.

And an all-gay cruise is definitely different from a gay group cruise. I've been on several groups cruises and they can be hit or miss in terms of meeting people and even interactions with the rest of the ship. It could depend on the gay group organizer, and whetehr they have a lot of activities planned, and the group. My best cruise was actually on with a gay group of about 100-150 on a ship of about 1600. My worst cruise was with a gay group of 800 or so on a ship of about 2000. Even with half the ship, we did not have all of the ship. And then some of the straight people started complaining when we had our special events... You can get great prices and itineraries on a gay group cruise, though.

If you want to "test the water" so to speak of an all-gay vacation and not bust the budget, consider one of the Atlantis land resorts - Cancun or Puerto Vallarta. The cost is about 75% of a cruise (for a week) and all food and drinks (alcohol, sodas, water, etc) are included.

I enjoy all-gay cruises (for the crowd and the itineraries) and all-gay resorts (for the crowd and the price). I plan to do an Atlantis or RSVP cruise once a year and an additional resort vacation on alternating years.

So, guys, check out AtlantisEvents.com and click on the Cancun and Puerta Vallarta links to see what those are like.

Whatever you decide Happy Vacationing.

I totally agree with sfgoguy

If price is an issue than I have enjoyed the land based options more.

Check out:

http://www.realjock.com/slideshow/1115/0

If exploring ports of call, ship life, fine company (Straight and Gay) then ship cruising beats a resort(a place and time) hand down.

I do agree with another post that

* better entertainment choices all around.

* no children

* other passengers are better behaved towards the staff, in the dining room, in the theater, etc.

* getting to be ourselves without worrying about "gauging" the situation.

Being from Canada I have diminished seeing the benefits of isolating myself in a "cliche" lifestyle and enjoying the world for all it offers regardless of who else may be on the cruise.

Cruising is a wonderful way of life. :)

Archived