Review: Ultimate Snorkle excursion - Carnival

CookieBird

Quick review, just off the Triumph today. Did the Ultimate Snorkle excursion this week on Grand Turk. Tour consists of a motorized boat holding around 60 people (cattle) that takes you to 2 snorkling spots. Forget the name of the first spot, the other was off Round Cay. This is not a sailing excursion but a quick motor out to both spots, not far from the cruise ship. Both spots were excellent however. Saw many fish, stingray, & a barracuda.

I will note that I thought the snorkling spot at Round Cay was somewhat difficult. The reef is very close to the surface in some spots so it can be easy to get "trapped" behind the coral and have to try to find your way back to the boat as if through a maze. Might be kind of intimidating for the new snorkler so I would recommend just staying on the inside of the reef close to the ship. Also - the current here was fairly strong and made swimming somewhat of a challenge. The sea was somewhat choppy was well and my husband found his snorkle kept filling with water. I'm not sure if the current in this spot as always as strong.

I have snorkled in various spots over the Carib, and I have to say the coral and the reef here are the best I have seen. Go visit this spot for the coral alone - it is just like you see in the magazine. I imagine that in a few years it wont look like this after all the cruise ship excursions keep filing people through so see it while you can. It is really impressive. Please also make sure if you do visit you dont do any damage. We saw several people kicking and breaking the coral with their fins. Such a shame.

After your tour if you want a quick beach break go to the beach to the left of the pier, in front of Margaritaville. While the beach is narrow, the water there is amazingly clear and beautiful.

Please let me know if you have questions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

WELL WE HAVE THIS BOOKED FOR THE 19th OF SEPT. MY QUESTION IS THIS. HOW HARD IS IT TO GET OFF AND ON THE BOAT FROM THE WATER.

IS IT JUST A SMALL LITTLE LADDER OR WHAT? WE ARE TALKING ABOUT A COUPLE OF 70 YR OLDS HERE.

THANKS

We sailed on Princess, but I imagine the same excursion boat takes all cruise passengers who have booked for that same time. So I feel I can answer your question.

One ladder is on each side of the boat, and I think you would be able to manage it easily enough. I saw people using the ladder in various fashions. I chose to go down, with flippers ON, facing the side of the boat and had no trouble. Others, with flippers on, faced the water and went down the ladder. Still others held their flippers and went down bare foot.

Have a great time!

To the other poster, Princess charged $49 for this excursion.

Debbie

Archived