Alaska and passports

That depends upon if you're an American or not. American's don't while cruising. But it's still a good idea to get one, just in case you need to fly back for some unexpected emergency from the Canadian port.

If you are a US Citizen, you do not need one for Alaska. Still one of the 50 states. But, if you are going to enter or leave Canada, that is another story.

It's another story, only if you plan on entering/leave Canada by air.

And if you are a Canadian citizen you don't need a passport for Alaska either.

Just as Ron said, "if something happens and you need to fly home, you will need the passport."

Also, if you are flying into Vancouver, you will need a passport.

Okay sorry..duh I am an idiot. I am American. I have a passport but was thinking of taking my mom on an Alaskan cruise. She has no passport. Cruise departs seattle..but it makes a stop in Vancouver. Will she need a passport?

Only if she misses the ship in Vancouver and needs to fly home. Otherwise, no problem.

• 4 weeks later...

My son is 2 year-old and he is US Citizen. Does he need a passport for Alaska cruise? A little different story here might be that both of his parents (me and his mom) are not US Citizen. (And we do have our own passports). If he needs to enter Canada for any reason like visiting the port city, will he be allowed? Oh btw, our cruise date is Jun 21th. Thanks very much!

My son is 2 year-old and he is US Citizen. Does he need a passport for Alaska cruise? A little different story here might be that both of his parents (me and his mom) are not US Citizen. (And we do have our own passports). If he needs to enter Canada for any reason like visiting the port city, will he be allowed? Oh btw, our cruise date is Jun 21th. Thanks very much!

Your son won't need a passport this summer, as long as you have a certified birth certificate proving his citizenship.

We are headed to Alaska on the Pearl this summer. We were told by NCL that my son who is only 6 would need a passport to board the ship.

We just spent the $82 to get him one.

Now I am wondering if the person we spoke to was mistaken!! We could have saved this $82 for some fun money onboard!

Sometimes the cruiselines will have more stringent rules on the passports because the laws on this keep changing for US citizens, and when the dates of certain types of travel in or out of the US are enacted. They may tell you what the understanding of the law is at the time of booking, but as we all have seen, that is subject to change.

Bottom line, I'd rather be safe than turned away at the ship. And if you like cruising and want to continue, you're going to need one anyway.

We just came back from Alaska on the Star. You needed a pass port. They don't know if your going to get off the ship and really don't have the people to babysit people that can't decide. If the ship goes to Canada, and they all do in Alaska, you will need the pass port. Also, several trips in Skagway goes into Canada. Sorry for all those that don't have one yet, but I would rather see you scramble now, then be turned away when you get to the port!:eek:

Happy cruising,

Pam

The following regulations are currently in effect.

CRUISING - FOR U.S. AND CANADIAN CITIZENS:

Hawaii Cruises

Inter-island Cruising. There's no need for a passport when you sail on any NCL America inter-island cruise. So if your ship never sails beyond the islands of Hawaii, all you need is a government-issued photo I.D. or a valid driver's license with a photo.

Fanning Island Itineraries. If your particular cruise calls on Fanning Island in the Republic of Kiribati, you are leaving the United States and a valid passport is required.

Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Or Canada & New England Cruises

You only need proof of citizenship and a government-issued photo I.D. or a valid driver's license with a photo. Proof of Citizenship examples include: an original or state certified copy of a U.S. or Canadian birth certificate, a valid or recently expired passport, certificate of naturalization, certificate of citizenship, or a report of your birth abroad.

NCL strongly recommends that all guests travel with a valid passport during their cruise. If you miss your ship at its scheduled U.S. departure port and need to travel outside the U.S. to meet your ship, or should you unexpectedly need to depart the ship from a foreign port prior to the end of sailing, a passport would be required to leave or re-enter the U.S. by air.

Europe and South America Cruises

A valid passport is required and in some cases, a tourist visa is also required.

AIR TRAVEL - FOR U.S. AND CANADIAN CITIZENS:

For all air travel into the U.S. from Canada or any other international location, you'll need a valid passport.

AIR AND CRUISE TRAVEL - FOR ALL CITIZENS OTHER THAN U.S. OR CANADIAN:

All guests must carry a valid passport (valid at least 6 months from the departure date from the U.S.), and if necessary, a multiple entry visa is required for entry into the United States (B-2 Visitors Visa), or a visa waiver. Please be sure to check with the proper agencies and authorities (such as your local immigration office) before you sail because we can't board you without the proper documents.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=PassportRequirements

FOR ALL NCL GUESTS:

U.S. regulations pertaining to required travel documents are updated frequently. The information provided here is meant to offer some guidelines for travel, but please note that these details may not be complete. To be sure you have the latest information, check with your travel professional or the proper authorities (such as your local immigration office) before your cruise to make sure you have the proper documentation. Cruise refunds may not be issued if you're denied boarding due to lack of proper documents.

It is also important that you provide us with your key personal information in advance of sailing. To do so, simply log into http://www.ncl.com/advanceregistration and fill out the Advance Guest Registration form.

Starting June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will require all of our guests to be in possession of a valid passport when sailing on any NCL cruise.

Because passport regulations are subject to change, we encourage you to visit http://www.travel.state.gov for the latest requirements and overseas information before you sail.

You do NOT need a passport until June 1, 2009 if you are an American citizen and sailing from (and back to) an American port. So, regarding Alaska, if you leave from Seattle, no passport. If you leave from Vancouver, passport needed. But, you are going to need one to fly to Vancouver anyway. The only way I can see someone getting into trouble is if they fly to Seattle, and then drive to Vancouver to board the ship. Those folks would need to be aware that they do indeed need a passport.

No matter what the cruiseline personel tell you, those are the facts. Someone posted the current passport rules above which are correct. I think that the cruiselines just tell people "yes, they are needed" to make things simpler. And, it is true that if you are in a foreign port and need to fly home, or if you miss the ship, and don't have a passport, you have big trouble. It's certainly recommended and makes sense to just get the passport but if you want to save money, and are sailing from (and back to) an American port, they are not required until June 1, 2009.

We've had passports for a while now, so I haven't looked into this, but is the 'passport card' available yet? It's suppose to be a cheaper alternative.

It only works for driving across the border and was created for those who live close to either border and frequently cross. It cannot be used for flying at all.

Archived