Dunn's River Falls Guide Question

SL HomeschoolMom

We booked a private tour guide for the day in Ocho Rios, including Dunn's River Falls. I believe that you need to get another guide at the falls to actually climb the falls with you.

My question is, can we just get a guide at the falls for our family of four, or will they expect us to join with another group? I have knee problems and will need to go at my own pace, not in the middle of a long line of people. How far apart are the exits to the staircase, if I decide I can't continue?

Thanks for any info.

We booked a private tour guide for the day in Ocho Rios, including Dunn's River Falls. I believe that you need to get another guide at the falls to actually climb the falls with you.

My question is, can we just get a guide at the falls for our family of four, or will they expect us to join with another group? I have knee problems and will need to go at my own pace, not in the middle of a long line of people. How far apart are the exits to the staircase, if I decide I can't continue?

Thanks for any info.

You do need to use their guides. Its because they know exactly where to step (they clean the rocks so they are not slippery)

As for your question about doing your own group...I really am not sure. I can tell you that our group was very small (about 8 people) and the whole thing was slow paced anyway. It was great for us, becasue it gave us time to snap some great pictures. I only saw a couple places to exit, but Im sure there were more. The park does have a website you could check out and there is a contact us spot. Maybe drop them a line?? Either way your going to love it...its beautiful!! Have a great trip!!

As to the speed part, don't worry too much about that. The only ones in a rush to get to the top are some of the guides only because the more groups they take up the more tips they make. I went with a ship's tour, our line was LOOOOONG. I was worried about the speed thing too having had a couple of recent hand surgeries and a well healed but still sore scar on my hand--I was worried about the whole hand holding thing and rushing. The man in front of me in the line was so helpful, he'd stop to help not only me but my daughter as well and yes we slowed things down a bit but no one complained at all. We were there to climb the falls, not to race and I really think everyone appreciated taking it a bit slower to take it all in and enjoy it. Our guides didn't rush us, probably b'c there were so many of us that they knew they'd be all set with tips. There's no written rule that says you have to rush rush rush to the top so just tell your guide if he's going too fast and he should slow down for you.

Look on the back of the shirts of the guides....if you have C. Saunders you will have a great time. He goes by COLONEL Saunders and was a total hoot.

Hi I went to Dunns River just before my Total Knee replacement and the guide was great - he gave me all the time i needed to get to the top and helped where he could - yeah okay wasnt the smartest place to be with a very bad knee but was a good day out!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived