nap tips?

travelinjen

My first cruise will be in July to Bermuda and we are taking my son who will be just about 3 years old. I'm excited but also really worried about how the sleeping will go. He's never been a good sleeper, we weren't able to get him on a decent schedule for 2 years. Now he does OK as long as there are no interruptions to his routine.

He normally naps from 12:00 to 2:30. I don't know when you can usually get to your cabin after embarking but I'm guessing it will be too late for him to nap the first day, right? Also, will it cause a problem with the room steward and naps? Is it like a hotel and you can put up a Do Not Disturb sign? What do you usually do while your child naps? I don't think he will go to sleep if we are in the room so we'll probably have to sit outside the door.

If anybody has any tips or experiences with this I'd love to hear them.

What line are you on? On RCCL, you will be allowed in your room around 1 PM in the first day. You can put a Do Not Disturb sign on the door - they have them. Do you have a balcony room? If so, that's the perfect place for you to relax during naptime. Some days on the FOS last week we skipped nap time. The kids were having so much fun (including my 3 YO) that they were fine. You can't do it every day though or they will just be exhausted. My DH and I sometimes took turns going to the hot tub or wandering while the other stayed in the room/balcony with the kids during nap time.

If you are driving to the ship- you may be able to board as early as 11AM. It really depends on whether or not all the passengers are off. Often times if you go directly to your stateroom it will be ready. The 1PM time is just customary but not in stone.

As for naptime. I take naps along side my son. I tell him that it is rest time and we both lay down with no tv. If he is bored enough, he will fall asleep.

I still do naptime on occassion with my now 7 year old- depending on the circumstances (like he is going to stay up late or if we have had a tiring day in sun). Just take a nap with him- it won't hurt you and husband to get some rest!

I always get on board early, but they've almost always had the rooms blocked off until 1 PM, but maybe you'll get lucky. It's hard to keep to a strict schedule on a cruise ship when you're getting off the ship and participating in various activities, but naps are definitely important when they are used to them. Whatever happens, have a great time!

When we cruise we have quiet time for everyone. Usually it's in the afternoon and it gives us all time to unwind. My DD (10) doesn't take naps at home, but will on a cruise because even Mom and Dad do. I personally love the couple of hours to sit and read a good book and not be rushed to another activity. You will probably find that you want the nap more than your child. lol On the first nite don't stress about missing the naptime, it is very stimulating the first day on board and you might want to plan an early dinner and settle down earlier that evening. Good luck

You'll be surprised how tired your child is going to be on a cruise. He'll probably drift off to sleep as soon as his head hits the pillow!

I would not leave him in the room alone for any reason. You just never know....even with you sitting outside. Since you have a couple of months before the cruise, you might want to get him used to you being in the room when he naps. I would suggest for you to read a book/magazine while he's laying in bed, don't look at him or speak to him. Let him know that it's time to nap, not play or talk. Eventually, he'll settle down and fall asleep.

Good luck!

Archived