Cell phone usage onboard - Verizon

Well we were planning on using our cell phones on board to keep in touch with each other. I just chatted online with Verizon who tells me our phones will not work on board. That we don't have global phones, so its not our plan but our phones that aren't compatible.

She said we could rent global phones from them. Just wondering if this is a gimmick, our phones aren't old, in fact mine is brand new.

Has anyone heard of this?

Well we were planning on using our cell phones on board to keep in touch with each other. I just chatted online with Verizon who tells me our phones will not work on board. That we don't have global phones, so its not our plan but our phones that aren't compatible.

She said we could rent global phones from them. Just wondering if this is a gimmick, our phones aren't old, in fact mine is brand new.

You can rent a global phone from them but they charge you for renting the phone and the minutes used. You should be able to have them just add it to your plan and only be charged for the minutes used. I would call back and talk to someone else.

I used my Verizon phone to make a call from the Brilliance this past March. I did not call another phone on the ship, but back to the States. I think if you use your phone to stay in touch with someone on the ship it may get a little pricey. The only thing I remember is that you have to have International roaming turned on before you leave the States as well as doing a *228 update before you leave your home area.

I used my Verizon phone to make a call from the Brilliance this past March. I did not call another phone on the ship, but back to the States. I think if you use your phone to stay in touch with someone on the ship it may get a little pricey. The only thing I remember is that you have to have International roaming turned on before you leave the States as well as doing a *228 update before you leave your home area.

That's what it is. I don't remember it being that high but I didn't use it much. The global phone you can rent charges about the same per minute and there are extra fees.

I wouldn't suspect you'd need to be on the phone too long since you'll be having too much fun cruising! :D

When we cruised on NCL in 06 we used our verizon phones quite often. I do not remember them being out of service when we tried to use them. This year we had Nextel(DH"s bright idea to change) and it never worked even though I paid for international direct connect. To me $2.49 a min is worth it as it cost me $54.99 to call my son in St martin for 5 min.

It was nice that she told you that, we called and were told it would not be a problem for us to use our verizon phones while on the cruise; however, when we got on the ship, they did not work. I did what they said about syncing your phone and stuff, but nothing worked.

Our phones are older and do not have a global feature.

We will be on the Liberty in less than three weeks and are planning on adding International calling to one of our Verizon phones just so that we can stay in touch with family back home (my mother isn't in the best health). I don't mind the $2.49 for quick calls, but I am concerned that my daughter might make longer calls to her boyfriend (she will have to pay for them). So does anyone know if texting is free with Verizon? It would be great if she could just text him.

We will be on the Liberty in less than three weeks and are planning on adding International calling to one of our Verizon phones just so that we can stay in touch with family back home (my mother isn't in the best health). I don't mind the $2.49 for quick calls, but I am concerned that my daughter might make longer calls to her boyfriend (she will have to pay for them). So does anyone know if texting is free with Verizon? It would be great if she could just text him.

Texts are extra internationally. I have all-inclusive and I think it cost me like 0.50/text message. Doesn't sound like a lot but I'm sure you know from her they add up quick. You also pay for incoming texts as well. Don't quote me on the cost but they are extra.

dial *228 and see what happens. Its the Verizon international roaming programing. After the programing is completed it will tell you if it was successful.

1. Can I use my Verizon Wireless phone to make and receive calls on board cruise ships? You can use your all-digital or tri-mode Verizon Wireless handset to make and receive calls while traveling on select cruise lines. For service availability and rate information, visit International Roaming. Back to top
  2. Are there any equipment or service requirements to roam internationally? If you are traveling internationally to any CDMA country:

1. Verify you have International Dialing capability on your phone by dialing *611 before leaving the United States.
    2. Dial *228 to update your roaming capabilities

http://cellularatsea.com/shipsinservice.htm

I plan on sending a text message to one family member and they can forward it on to the rest. I think its 25 cent to send one and 20 cents to recieve if you are out of your network. You may want to check with your carrier and see what the cost is.

Archived