Cell phone usage onboard - Verizon

Here's the website for the Verizon occasional traveler phone.

They ship you a FREE phone which can be used internationally, it temporarily replaces your personal phone so it can have your own phone number. There is no charge, unless you use it. It is much cheaper to use this on land than at sea. And, even cheaper to use it for text messages instead of actual calls. Did you know you can receive emails on your cell phone by using email address of ########## [whatever your phone number is]@vtext.com? Here's the web link for the Occassional Traveler Program

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Global_Travel/index.html

We recently returned from AOS southern route. We went with another couple and both have Verizon. I had international activated prior to leaving. My phone did not work on the ship, our friend's phone did, it is a new model. My phone was fine in ports.

We tried walkie talkies on the LOS in August and took them back right after the cruise. They were worthless. Even though they were Motorolas with 18 mile range, the reception was poor and spotty. Also, you have kids who like to play games on them pretending to be the person you're trying to call.

We decided that it wasn't that important to keep in immediate contact with each other.

We generally have our favorite places to hang out and if we bump into each other thats fine, if not that's okay too. Dinner's at 6, be there.

We were planning on using our cell phones to keep in touch with each other on board. However I just finished chatting with Verizon, and they said we won't have any service on board, that we don't have global phones???

So its not our plan but our phones. Has anyone heard of this, we have new cell phones. Are they just trying to get me to rent their global phones?

I don't know if I am too late to this thread or not, but here it goes.

The Verizon staff is full of brainless idiots!! :mad: I could type a story book rant!!

Call Verizon Wireless International Customer Care 1-800 711 8300. They are the ones that can help you.

I have had a Verizon global phone since 2005. So yes, they have global phones for both purchase and rent.

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/inside_us.html

Above is a link to the international website.

I have used Verizon in all of my travels that I have listed below. I-dial has only a handful of countries that use both CDMA and GSM. To have phone service in Europe you will need a GSM phone. I-dial will not work.

I forgot to add, YES your phone will work while on the ship. You will need I-dial on your phone (it's free to have added), plus $2.49 a minute while on the ship. Prices vary from country to country. Texting would be your best option .50 to send, .05 to receive.

We tried walkie talkies on the LOS in August and took them back right after the cruise. They were worthless. Even though they were Motorolas with 18 mile range, the reception was poor and spotty. Also, you have kids who like to play games on them pretending to be the person you're trying to call.

We decided that it wasn't that important to keep in immediate contact with each other.

We generally have our favorite places to hang out and if we bump into each other thats fine, if not that's okay too. Dinner's at 6, be there.

This is sad to hear, because we are really depending on using our walkie talkies to keep in touch with my parents and my kids (ages 4 and 8) on our cruise this July. :cool:

I called Verizon three times today to verify coverage for our upcoming Liberty of the Seas Eastern Caribbean cruise. Here is what I was told:

On the ship - $2.49 per minute

San Juan - since it is a U.S. territory there is no extra charges to call from there

St. Maarten - $1.29 per minute and we will probably be charged additional roaming fees when calling from there

Labadee - cell phones do not work there, however you can get a global phone that will work...we'll just wait until we get out to sea if we need to make a call

Texting is .25 for every text you send and .15 for every text you receive even if you have unlimited texting.

I verified the calling rates with two different people at Verizon. They added International dialing to our plan (no cost to add it or monthly service fee), and we will need to initialize it before we leave by calling *228 then Send, then choosing Option 2.

Hope this helps.

Nope, I take that back!

There txting hasn't changed at all.

MicknMin, I am afraid you have been told wrong.

The txting price you have down is the cost for txting a non-US phone.

Text message sent to non-U.S. phone numbers of participating carriers are charged the following:

$0.25/address sent

$0.20/message received

For cruise lines it's

Cruise Ship Coverage

Carnival

Celebration Conquest

Destiny Ecstasy

Elation Fantasy

Fascination Freedom

Glory Holiday

Imagination Inspiration

Legend Liberty

Miracle Paradise

Pride Sensation

Spirit Triumph

Valor Victory

Celebrity Cruises

Century Constellation

Galaxy Infinity

Mercury Millennium

Summit

Crystal Cruises

Serenity* Symphony*

*No Text Messaging Available

Disney Cruise Line

Magic Wonder

Holland America Line

Amsterdam* Maasdam*

Noordam* Oosterdam*

Prinsendam* Rotterdam*

Ryndam* Statendam*

Veendam* Volendam*

Westerdam* Windsurf

Zaandam* Zuiderdam*

Norwegian Cruise Lines

Dawn Dream

Gem Jade

Jewel Majesty

Pearl Spirit

Star Sun

Oceania Cruise Lines

Insignia* Nautica*

Regatta*

Princess Cruises

Grand Princess

Regent Seven Seas

Regent Seven Seas

Mariner Navigator

Paul Gaugin Voyager

Royal Caribbean

Adventure of the Seas Brilliance Of The Seas

Enchantment of the Seas Explorer of the Seas

Freedom of the Seas Grandeur of the Seas

Jewel of the Seas Legend of the Seas

Liberty of the Seas Majesty of the Seas

Mariner of the Seas Monarch of the Seas

Navigator of the Seas Radiance of the Seas

Rhapsody of the Seas Serenade of the Seas

Sovereign of the Seas Splendour of the Seas

Vision of the Seas Voyager of the Seas

Seabourn

Legend Pride

Spirit

Silversea

Cloud* Prince Albert*

Shadow* Whisper*

Wind*

Semester at Sea

Explorer

The Scholar Ship

The Scholar Ship

Roaming Rate: $2.49

Text Rate: $0.50/address sent

$0.05/message received

Did any of you (Verizon) use texting? We rented the dect phones last year...for $100. When we cruie in 2009, we'd like to text. Does anyone know how much each text would be? I guess a lot could change between now and March, 2009???

Believe Verizon texts are 50 cents to send or receive. Usual free verizon-to-verizon does not apply.

Believe Verizon texts are 50 cents to send or receive. Usual free verizon-to-verizon does not apply.

I agree with some of the other posters about the rocket scientists at Verizon. I have gotten a couple different prices for texting, but 50 cents (either way) was the highest; so that is what I'm budgeting. Any less will be gravy. I think there are different prices, based on the plan you have. I am doing the Occasional Traveler program, where they lend you a free replacement phone with your own phone number to use while traveling.

MicknMin, I am afraid you have been told wrong.

The txting price you have down is the cost for txting a non-US phone.

Text message sent to non-U.S. phone numbers of participating carriers are charged the following:

$0.25/address sent

$0.20/message received

According to the website, the rates that you have quoted above are for texting non-US phone numbers. We will be texting US phone numbers. That is possibly why the rates that I quoted are .05 less for messages received, although I have yet to find anything on the website about texting from a US phone to a US phone from outside the US. To be honest, I don't think we will be doing much texting, we will probably use the internet on the ship for that and just make phone calls when necessary.

According to the website, the rates that you have quoted above are for texting non-US phone numbers. We will be texting US phone numbers. That is possibly why the rates that I quoted are .05 less for messages received, although I have yet to find anything on the website about texting from a US phone to a US phone from outside the US. To be honest, I don't think we will be doing much texting, we will probably use the internet on the ship for that and just make phone calls when necessary.

If you look at the very bottom of my post, you will see the price for txting US to US phones.

If you look at the very bottom of my post, you will see the price for txting US to US phones.

Didn't read that far down. Like I said, we probably will use the internet instead of texting, or just pick up the phone and talk fast. Trust me though, Verizon does not have a corner on the market on giving out misinformation. When my oldest daughter was going to St. Lucia, she called Verizon and they told her that there was no cell service there. I had Cingular at the time, so I called and asked them whether they had service. They assured me that they did, so I gave her my phone and told her to call me when they arrived. Eventually I got an email from her telling me that they were there, but that my Cingular phone didn't work at all. I don't understand why these cell phone companies can't get their act together and give out correct info.

It's call the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing! The bigger the company the harder it is for us to find out anything.

Before I was able to get the international number, I had to call the 611 to get someone. One lady argued with me that Verizon had no international department, nor did they have international phones. I told her that was strange as I have had a Verizon international phone for several years now. She flat footed called me a liar, and rudely informed me that she had worked for that company for many years and knew more than I did.

Lucky for her, they haven't created a phone where I can reach through and slap someone!!

Archived