Extension cords/converters

What do you use your extension cords for? Are there not enough outlets in the cabins? Also staying in Hotels in Italy do you take a converter with you to plug in the battery pack for the viedo camera???

I found that because of the size of some of my plugs, I often could not plug 2 things into an outlet. I bought a small strip with 4 outlets, I usually don't need more than 2 at a time, but this way I don't have to struggle.

Most of your electronic equipment (laptops, camcorders, digital cameras) will work on 220V power without a converter. Be sure to check, but all my equipment does. Somewhere on the power cord or plug it should say how much voltage it can handle, and all mine say 110V-240V. I still bring one converter in case I need it for a shaver or something, but the last few trips my converter has remained in the suitcase the whole time.

Bring a power strip, not necessarily an extension cord, to multiply the number of outlets you have. I think we had two in the main cabin, and one in the bathroom. With all the electronic stuff needing charging these days, three plugs didn't go very far.

Once you are on the ship it isn't a problem, but if you spend multiple days before or after you may want at least one plug adaptor, remember to check to see if its a two or three prong to make sure you get the right adaptor. Since many of the ships have both European and US style plugs near

the desk area, we also used our plug adaptors on the ship, didn't need an extension cord this way. We make sure that at least one adapter/converter has surge protection if we're bringing a laptop with us. If you have an electronic device that doesn't say 110-240V, make sure you have a converter with you as well.

Archived