Viking river V. RCL ocean

ddean52

Hello, we will be doing our first river sailing next june on viking amsterdam to budapest+a 3 night precruise in amsterdam and are looking for some common and distant points between viking V rcl....any input would be very useful. please fire away.:eek: ;)

thanks to all of you in advance!

Dean;) &Alice:p

I've not cruised with Viking, but have done several river cruises with Grand Circle, and I believe they are quite similar. I've done some two dozen ocean cruises, a couple of them with RCL. You are trying to compare apples and oranges. They are really two totally different experiences. On a river cruise, your ship is where you eat and sleep, you will have much more time "on land" visiting small villages, cities, castles, etc etc. There is something to see on shore all the time. Shipboard entertainment is very limited, none of the "Las Vegas" style shows, etc. Dining is usually one sitting, a couple of choices, and usually buffet breakfast and lunch.

There is one bar on the river ship, and some include wine with dinner (Grand Circle does). There are not a number of lounges with music in the evening like on a cruise ship.

On a cruise ship like RCL you will have over a thousand passengers. On a river cruise, you will have fewer than 150.

I don't know how you can really compare the two experiences, except both ships travel on water.

Both are great, but different.

I've not cruised with Viking, but have done several river cruises with Grand Circle, and I believe they are quite similar. I've done some two dozen ocean cruises, a couple of them with RCL. You are trying to compare apples and oranges. They are really two totally different experiences. On a river cruise, your ship is where you eat and sleep, you will have much more time "on land" visiting small villages, cities, castles, etc etc. There is something to see on shore all the time. Shipboard entertainment is very limited, none of the "Las Vegas" style shows, etc. Dining is usually one sitting, a couple of choices, and usually buffet breakfast and lunch.

There is one bar on the river ship, and some include wine with dinner (Grand Circle does). There are not a number of lounges with music in the evening like on a cruise ship.

On a cruise ship like RCL you will have over a thousand passengers. On a river cruise, you will have fewer than 150.

I don't know how you can really compare the two experiences, except both ships travel on water.

Both are great, but different.

K. thank you, what you have stated, is how i belived it to be, but i was looking for confirmation of such. it sounds wonderful!

Archived