Qm2 can we do this ?

docker66

We are thinking of booking the 17 day voyage from Southampton to Canada and back next June.

The price of this is only about £80 more expensive than doing the 2 transatlantic trips.

What we would like to know is could we get off in New York for 5 days and leave all our clothes in the room and just take a few bits for the 5 days in New York and then board the ship for the return leg.

Not sure if there would be a problem with American immigration.

We have contacted Cunard, one person said we can no problem the other said no.

Any ideas?

Thank you

I don't know the answer... but what would they do if you missed the ship when it left NY (after the first 'leg')? Would you not simply wait for it to come back and rejoin your voyage?!

Maybe if you wrote in, you might get a written response which would be more thought through? Perhaps one of the resident TAs will help you out.

I can't see how this could possibly be a problem for immigration. They don't care how you get to NYC as long as it's legal. They have no interest in where your clothing is.

As long as you are willing to pay for those five nights while you are in NYC, I can't see why Cunard would care. You just have to get high enough in the food chain to talk it over.

On the other hand, remember, Cunard on shore hasn't a CLUE as to what happens on board. When the ship leaves a port, they check everyone back in - and call and call for the missing ones. You could always just tell the purser's desk that you will be back in five days. What are they going to do? Throw your belongings overboard?

I'm sure you can work this out.

Paul

While on the recent QE2 World cruise, the daily bulletin would have a note that asked passengers who planned independent overland excursions to let the Purser's Office know about it so the ship could notify immigration and so they would know when it came time to sail that you had not just missed the ship. I would imagine this would fall into that category. You have booked and paid for the full trip but will be taking a five day independent overland trip (within NYC) and we rejoin the ship in NYC when she arrives back there after sailing New England without you. I see no problem with this. but would have your TA clear it up front anyway.

Archived