PADI certification class/dive with certified diver

I'll be on FOS in July and want to take the PADI scuba certification class while I'm on board. The open water dives for the course are in Grand Cayman. My friend travelling with me is a certified diver, and we'd like to dive together. Does anyone know if he can join us on the open water dives without taking the class? Our only other chance would be at Cozumel, and from what I've read, diving isn't that great there since the hurricanes a couple of years ago.

Whether your buddy can join you in the Open Water class depends on the instructor (your buddy can just hang around with the class while you do your skills training) - some instructors may not allow it or like it. I would suggest you completing your book and pool work before getting onboard (at home), then doing the open water dives in the Caymans. BTW, Cozumel is great, and my reading indicates that much of it has come back quite nicely (moreso on the deeper dives than shallow dives)...but definitely dive in Cozumel!

If at all possible I would recommend you do your classroom and pool work at home and then do your open water referral dives with your friend while on the cruise at an independent dive shop.

I could be wrong but I suspect you will only be getting a basic scuba cert on the FOS and not the full open water cert which requires 4 open water dives as opposed to 2.

If you do the coursework at home you could get the 4 referral dives during your cruise, perhaps 2 in Cozumel and 2 in Grand Cayman.

We got scuba certified on the Navigator and also did the classroom/pool work for the full open water cert. Our ship didn't offer the two extra dives needed as I suspect is the same for the FOS. So we had to take another cruise w/i a year (darn) to get our two additional referral dives. We did this independently in Grand Cayman.

Had I to do it over again I would've taken the class at home. It really takes alot of time from your cruise (away from friends) that you've spent so much money on.

You may find additional information on the scuba board.

Jimmers is very astute that you will probably obtain the "Scuba Diver" Certification, rather than "Open Water Diver". We originally thought it was a great deal for my wife and two teenagers as we always dive with a dive master anyway. The problem is that the certification also limits you to no deeper than 40 feet and most two tank dives offered during our cruises are below that limit. We have been able to use their certifications once in Mexico but on none of our next few cruises. Wife is scheduled to complete her other classroom and the two additional dives before our August cruise. The cost for the first certification class and the second round will be much more than simply taking the open water certification class on land.

hubby and I are both divemasters. Working in the industry, we have seen many instuctors go from open water to instructor in less than 12 weeks. You would best be served by taking your course at home. Ask around locally and see who is the best instructor. This is an area where the cheapest price may not be best for you. Get your open water dives done at home. You will be familier with your home water if you ever get the bug, and then when you go on your cruise you will have a fabulous time diving, not thinking about your class. If you choose the boat, there will most likely not be a problem with your friend diving with you, however, he will have to stay out of the way during your skills. Good luck and have fun with what ever you choose.

Get your open water dives done at home. You will be familier with your home water if you ever get the bug, and then when you go on your cruise you will have a fabulous time diving, not thinking about your class.

I agree that doing it all at home is ideal. Another reason for doing this is that the skills are fresh in your mind. Even with only a few months between our open water classroom work and the final two referral dives in GC, we forgot alot. (to the point of embarassment)

But if you can't do it at home, don't let that discourage you. We are still glad we got our certification. It's very stimulating and exciting to learn new things, especially when you have someone to share the experience with.

We are so looking forward to getting back in the water on our own and just having fun instead of being in school.

Good luck to you.

Stupid question - I live in Indiana and there are classes at home, in pools. Does that count as "open water"?

Your first few classes will be in pools, just to learn the basics of your equipment. You then go into the 'open water,' lake or ocean. I agree with the previous posts though, take your open water courses at home, on a ship, you have limited space, and you may not get all the training you need seeing as it will be some what of an accelerated course. From a dive master's perspective, take time to do the training, so you'll be prepared for any emergency at home.

And to the OP, if you are asking about your buddy diving with you in Cayman, I don't see the problem as long as they are SCUBA certified, and have done a 6 month check out dive.

Stupid question - I live in Indiana and there are classes at home, in pools. Does that count as "open water"?

Pool definitely doesn't count. You have to get down close to the rated depth so that means a lake, ocean or other deep body of water.

Archived