Can someone explain room categories?

CariBlue

Cariblue, Good Question! I don't think they actually stand for anything. Each cruise line uses different designators. BX is just Princess Balcony Cabins, and AX are the mini suites. BA is a better location (supposively) the BB, BC, BD....... and AA is better then AB, AC...........

For future reference, Princess has standardized cabin categories (note: not all ships have all these categories, but the inside/outside/balcony/etc. are all within the ranges):

II to M - inside

C to H - outside (E to H - obstructed)

B - Balcony (BA,BB,BC,BD,BE,BF,BG)

A - Mini Suite (AA,AB,AC,AD,AE)

VS, PH, PS - Full Suites

In general, the higher the letter (A being highest), the better the cabin. Each type of cabin might be differentiated by a letter. So for a simplified example, Cat E might be an inside cabin (no window), Cat D is outside cabin with window, Cat C is balcony cabin, Cat B is mini-suite, and Cat A is full-suite (although usually high-end suites have different categorizations).

Mixed into this is usually a second letter. Again, the higher the letter, the better. This letter changes based on the cabin's location on deck, since some locations are perceived to be better. Again, for a simplified example, Cat CB might be aft or forward ends of the ship, while CA is midship. Price difference might be a couple hundred dollars.

Please keep in mind I'm using this as an example. "Better" means different things to people. Higher categories usually demand higher prices, but people may enjoy a lower category cabin for other reasons.

In general, the higher the letter (A being highest), the better the cabin. Each type of cabin might be differentiated by a letter. So for a simplified example, Cat E might be an inside cabin (no window), Cat D is outside cabin with window, Cat C is balcony cabin, Cat B is mini-suite, and Cat A is full-suite (although usually high-end suites have different categorizations).

Mixed into this is usually a second letter. Again, the higher the letter, the better. This letter changes based on the cabin's location on deck, since some locations are perceived to be better. Again, for a simplified example, Cat CB might be aft or forward ends of the ship, while CA is midship. Price difference might be a couple hundred dollars.

Please keep in mind I'm using this as an example. "Better" means different things to people. Higher categories usually demand higher prices, but people may enjoy a lower category cabin for other reasons.

Have never seen your first paragraph description on a Princess ship. They have always been as WEST COAST posted.

Maybe the confusion lies between calling them suites vs. mini-suites? We have a mini-suite booked on the Grand Princess, and our docs call it Category AD - mini-suite. So maybe you're both right!

Looking forward to our first Princess cruise ...

Jan

Gee, sorry I wasn't clear. I was just answering the question in general and was trying to use words that kept it generic. I also said it was just a simplified example - for the most part, my description wasn't that off for most standard cabins. I also wasn't thinking about the fact that the question was posted on the Princess boards and was specific to Princess ships. Thanks for making me feel bad - I'll be quiet now. :)

CariBlue - West Coast is absolutely correct. Example: An AA would be the highest category mini-suite and AE would be the lowest category mini-suite. Within the categories, it's all about location, location, location! On the Star a BC category is either on Aloha Deck (forward or aft) or on Baja Deck (midship).

janrj7 - There's a big difference between a full suite and a mini-suite....size and cost ($$$). On the Grand a AD category mini-suite is on Emerald Deck aft - cabins E718 through E729.

Archived