Cruising VS College

zillabe

I do pay for my own classes and I do care if I miss. I usually take one online class and one that I have to commute to. We had several students in my last class who were either sick with the flu or going on vacation. They talked to the prof before hand and worked everything out. Not all teachers are the same.

We have decided to take spring semester off which won't even be offering classes any of us need and go then.

At college level, I dont think it would be a good idea either, the OP is not concerned tho. They asked because their friends did not want to go outside of break.

Like I mentioned my college student when offered a cruise, flat out said she could not. But if the OP feels ok, then that is their choice.

:D lol thank you! I didn't think this would be such a hot topic. I'm an adult not a child wanting to miss a week of school. I'm also not 18 and having someone else pay for college and it would upset them if I missed (that I can understand!). The teachers that are at my college could care less if you are at school or not. It's your grade, not theirs. I've never been so low in a class that missing a class or two would cause me to get below a 3.0

My first thought is that the OP should have been detailed in the "week" off for a cruise .. I thought she was a full time student, as many of us were. My daughter is a full time student at FSU ...GO NOLES !!!! She just finished her 2nd year:p .In those 2 years I have taken her 2 younger brothers on 3 cruises during their spring break, and summer break, which is at a different time as hers. We never even thought of her missing school for that long. Now , this summer I am taking her and some of her college friends on a "girls cruise" We are going to have a great time and then back to school !!! :rolleyes:Higher education is very important and as my mother always always says, "Nobody can take that away from you :) Happy Mothers Day to all you cruising moms:D

My family is running into a similar situation. We booked our cruise about 18 months ago for our family during the Thanksgiving break.

Well, our daughter, who will be an incoming freshman, decided on her college, and they work on trimesters.

The day we leave is the second day of her first trimester finals.

My other daughters tell us it shouldn't be an issue.

I'm working on a back up plan to fly her into Nassau and she'll meet the ship there.

It will work out one way or the other....

If she talks to the professor before hand and schedules a time to take the test before you leave it shouldn't be a problem.

I've made up missed tests for cruising many times.

We took our daughter on a 10 day last year during the week in Feb. of Presidents week that they were off....but she did miss 3 days of the following week. We took her & her brother out of school for a week a few years back. Since they were never absent & both had great grades the school & the teachers let them make their work up. It is a personal choice...some kids aren't able to get caught up & some teachers wouldn't bother allowing them to try to make it up. On the other hand....my husband's niece lives in Michigan & she has always been able to cruise for 10 days & also take a few more days land trip before having to return to school & the teachers let her make the work up. I don't think I would ever let my kids miss more than a week. The youngest starts college in the Fall & we are going on a cruise in Jan. but she will not be able to go because she will be in the middle of softball practices....she is a pitcher & going to school on a softball scholarship so I guess she better be there :)

Happy Cruising

While I have never chosen to cruise during the semester I did take what I thought would be a once and a lifetime cruise experience this past February. I'm in grad school and my professors both said, "It's not a big deal. You are here every week and participate. We're not going to worry about it. Have fun." I missed two classes. And I would've made the one had Southwest not delayed our plane out of Ft. Lauderdale five hours.

I'm totally one who doesn't like to miss either.

I will be taking my soon to be college freshman out next March for 2 8 day cruises. One will fall during her spring break, the first will not. Her younger sister is turning 16 and it is a tradition to take them on a cruise for their 16th. Also, since I was an "adult" student, and since my ex has them for most of each summer, I have never been able to take them on an extended vacation. I've decided to do this before they get to old to want to go with mom. I certainly hope that her profs will understand.

I frequently missed classes, and for certain classes I skipped most classes in undergrad. Mostly because I learn better from reading than lecture. (I couldn't afford a cruise, but would have gone if I could.) I graduated with a high GPA and went on to a top grad school. So it can be done. If you decide to do it, go and have a great time!

By the way, I never had a class that met every day of the week. It was either M W F or T Th so you wouldn't be missing a full 7 days, would you?

I also teach at the college level - Adjunct Professor of Accounting.

I suppose that in some disciplines you can miss a week and pick right up. But, if you miss 2 nights of my class I won't have to punish you - you will punish yourself quite nicely. I guarantee that unless you are very, very smart and are able to learn on your own, 2 missed classes will have a very negative impact on your grade in my field and other rigorous ones as well. I simply can't imagine a vacation worth that kind of damage.:confused:

You are one of the instuctors I was talking about:D

My instuctor annouced to the class first day half of us would be gone by mid term. He was hard and I learned alot. The only day I missed is the day HE made me leave I was so ill. You just can't miss these classes and "get it"

Those who say Freshman / Sophmore don't matter, ask someone who went to medical, law, business or graduate school the ones that made it to tier 1 and those that didn't if one B or C in Frosh/soph mattered?

Does grades or one week determine ones life, NO. But often it is used rightly or wrongly to open the door at a once in a liftime chance at a company, job, or lifetime path.

Others will talk about examples of people in all walks that are successfuly and went on vacation, sure there are always examples like that.

It's so hard to make generalities as you note, but I went to a Tier 1 law school and I frequently skipped class in undergrad. I learn better from reading than lecture and after a few classes you learn which profs follow the book and which are teaching new material. Also, you meet friends and learn who takes similar notes to yourself. You get good notes from several people for the days you missed. It can be done. By the way, I did get a C in my Freshman year - 1 in Ballet and 1 in French. Ballet because I skipped class - it was a beginning class and I had danced for years, just not ballet, I could only go over the basics so many times. The instructor knew I knew and could do, but had a policy regarding absence and grades. French I rarely missed, but wasn't very good at it. I really don't think either really hurt me since I only applied to two law schools, both Tier 1, was accepted at one and waitlisted at the other. Not trying to brag, really, just saying that each situation is different and each person needs to judge for themselves whether they can afford the time off.

you implyed that people who would consider taking off school may not be paying their own way...the OP posed the question...therefore it seems you are implying that the OP, by considreing taking off to cruise does not value their monies or may not be paying their own way.

I gave reasons why I didn't miss. One was getting my monies worth and maybe people that didn't pay themself don't but, I never applied it to the OP. That was your assumption.

I saw the OP was part time taking classes they felt they can miss. They seem to be of an age to make that choise for themselves.

We are going on a cruise March 09. We choose it based on it's itinerary not on school schedules. The week we have spring break there aren't any cruises we are interested in. So we invite our friends who went last time and they wont go because it isn't during a break :mad: I personally feel I can miss a week of school and be just fine. I want to make sure we aren't being unfair by asking them to go while they are in school...

What does everyone else do?

......would we jeopardize our future career (assuming that is why you are in college).........for an itinerary..........never.......;)

I'm a college student and there is NO way I'd miss a week of school for a cruise:eek:

I DID by accident last year and it was just for a summer school class but I paid for that with a nice B in sociology because we had 2 non makeup quizzies and a non makeup test that week. I completely misread when the session started because I took the class at another school and not my university and I was looking at my university's summer school schedule.

That is being unfair. You may feel you can miss a week and get by but others don't. Cruises will be there, and probably an even better one

Archived