Really Having a Hard Time choosing a dive shop in Roatan...

sslkrissi

Hello,

I am trying to decide on a dive shop to book with in Roatan. There seems to be so many options, all with different prices. Here is what I have found so far:

1. Bananarama: 2 tank dive including transportation to and from dock is $105.00 plus $10.00 equipment and 12% tax

2. ReefGliders: 2 tank dive w/out transportation (estimated $20.00) is $80.00 including equipment

3. Las Rocas: 2 tank dive including transportation is $69.00 plus 16% tax. Not sure if equipment is included. If not, it is $10.00

4. Sueno del mar: 2 tank dive including transportation and taxes is $80.00 plus $10.00 equipment

5. Ocean connections: 2 tank dive including taxes and equipment is $75.00 plus $3 marine park fee. Not sure yet if transportation is included.

6. Coconut tree divers: 2 tank dive including transportation, marine park fee, equipment and taxes is $100.00

7. Subway Watersports: 2 tank dive including transportation is $85.00 plus $35.00 equipment.

8. Cocoview: 2 tank shore dive $50.00 plus $25.00 reservation fee, $25 dive master orientation fee, $35.00 equipment rental, not including transportation ($40 estimated)

9. Pura Vida: 2 tank dive is $60.00 plus $10.00 equipment. Not sure whether transportation and/or any taxes are included.

So, I guess my question is, does anyone have a recommendation or any experience with any of the dive ops I mentioned? I have sifted through all of the posts and done several searches, but can't seem to find anything that would lead me to use one over the other...

Any help is greatly appreciated :D

I have another one to add to the mix:

10. West End Divers: 2 tank dive is $70.00 including taxes and equipment, plus $3.00 marine park donation. Transportation is not included and is estimated at $15.00 roundtrip.

Any more experiences with any of these companies?

Thanks

Hi,

I'd first eliminate anyone without transportation. Roatan is still a bit primitive so knowing you'll get there and back is a big plus.

I'd also see when they dive to see if any of the shops' schedules conflict with the cruise's schedule (if you're on a cruise).

I'd ask how many divers do they take in their boats and what the dive master to diver ratio is.

I'd ask what the typical dive profile is and where they dive (knowing this may change depending on the sea conditions that day).

Sounds like they're mostly PADI recommended so that means they must have fairly good quality services

I don't know if I'd be too price sensitive since they're all pretty close.

I'd value recommendations from others in this forum and I'd check scubaboard.com as well.

Randall

Thanks for the advice. Based on the criteria you mention, I think I may be leaning towards Coconut Tree Divers. They have a pretty good reputation as well on scubaboard.com, so I think I'll be in good hands.

I went, along with a friend form these boards went with subway water sports. The ride to the shop was the part I didn't like , but once there the place was beautiful. The dive shop is ok , a bit primitive, no coke machine that I saw. They did scourge up a asprin and a glass of water when i asked. boats are good. I had a good time (cept for the ride)

Archived