Kids sail FREE ...could this BE

djede

Ok I just got an email from Vacation outlet ...it reads that kids sail FREE all cruises

Here is what it says

"Beautiful. Passionate. Italian. An MSC voyage blends classic maritime traditions with legendary Mediterranean culture and cuisine to deliver the ultimate cruise experience. But it's a commitment to genuinely gracious Italian hospitality and service that truly sets MSC apart. Plus, Kids Always Sail FREE on every MSC sailing."

I went to the MSC website and found nothing about it can anyone tell me if this is true and if so what about traveling with 2 children

Thanks in advance

Ed

Ok I just got an email from Vacation outlet ...it reads that kids sail FREE all cruises

Here is what it says

"Beautiful. Passionate. Italian. An MSC voyage blends classic maritime traditions with legendary Mediterranean culture and cuisine to deliver the ultimate cruise experience. But it's a commitment to genuinely gracious Italian hospitality and service that truly sets MSC apart. Plus, Kids Always Sail FREE on every MSC sailing."

I went to the MSC website and found nothing about it can anyone tell me if this is true and if so what about traveling with 2 children

Thanks in advance

Ed

There is a prominent link right on the main MSC website. Here is a link to the specifics

http://www.msccruisesusa.com/offerte_altri_paesi/offerte.asp?page=2&page_id=404

The kids sail free is for anyone under 17 as the 3rd & 4th occupant in your cabin.

There has been some discussion as to the size of cabins, and what the accommodations are. For instance, there are no standard cabins that would accommodate 5 people, but this would not seem to be a problem if you are 4.

I would just check with the line or your TA to make sure that you will all be comfortable. This line is becoming very popular because of this promotion.

There is a small charge for taxes I believe.

Regards,

Chef

As chefim said, 3rd & 4th passengers sharing any cabin up to and including the age of 17 always sail free. This is standard with MSC, rather than a promotion.

They do however charge port taxes, & of course, if you need to fly, you'll have to pay for flights too. Prices for 3rd/4th sharing are not too bad either. our eldest is 20 & we pay less for him on MSC than we would on another cruise line.

I think you'll get a clearer idea if you look at the UK site & pick a random cruise for pricing. For some reason they never seem to show this additional info on the US site.

I just picked a random departure date here..which may give you some idea.

http://www.msccruises.co.uk/crociere/cruise.asp?id=11302&page_id=1487

Don't panic either. UK prices are generally higher than US prices for exactly the same cruise. In addition, you'll find that TA's in the US are able to get even better rates.

Thanks guys

That is weird I typed in MSC cruise line in google it gave me a link... I clicked it and went to specials and nothing appeared , but when I clicked the link that chef posted it worked ????

When I read the link it seems that the kids only go free if it is a suite?

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks

Ed

Suite was not a requirement, I just booked a balcony 2 adults one free child for April 2009. Only had to pay port charge for child! We also got an oceanview quote and it included free child (so balcony not a requirement) We noticed the odd webpage thing too. If you go just to MSCcruises.com there is hardly any info, but http://www.msccruisesusa.com/ has all the info. Go to departures calendar from the top drop down, then click on a month and you'll get their deals. You can't book directly from their site, either, you have to click "contact me", then a TA will get with you. Good Luck!

No Kids sail free no matter what you book... inside, oceanview, balcony, or suite. Not all rooms will accommodate 4 people though, and depending on the ship, some have more that will then others. Book early and you should not have a problem. It is a great deal for a family of 4, who does not mind sharing one cabin.

Thanks Everyone

I only have one child. I have been trying to get my Brother in law to go on a cruise...he has 2 kids and not much money

MSC may be the way to get him to cruise with us:D

I had to get a superior balcony to get the kids free promotion on the Orchestra, seems the regular balconies aren't big enough. I'm very happy though, snagged an aft balcony on deck 9 and for a very reasonable price. Kids cost me $47.** for port charges.

PS got the same deal on Costa last year too. So MSC is not the only line offering this promotion.

Hi monicajay,

I'd guess it would be cabin availability at the time you booked, rather than the cabins not being big enough. not all will accommodate 4. We had an inside cabin last time and have booked a regular balcony for 4 this Summer.

We have also booked next year with Costa. They have good child prices too, but we didn't get 'free.' Child price for us was roughly $220 per child.

I am booked on the Lirica for Christmas and have plans to book for Easter 2009. I have an inside cabin on the Lirica. I paid regular price for me and my eldest daughter and only $47 for the youngest two. It was very affordable for me. No other cruise line could touch the price I paid for a cruise at Christmas.

Hi monicajay,

I'd guess it would be cabin availability at the time you booked, rather than the cabins not being big enough. not all will accommodate 4. We had an inside cabin last time and have booked a regular balcony for 4 this Summer.

I beg to differ, Category 6, 7 and 8 do not accomodate a 3rd or 4th person. Check the deck plans. The lowest balcony cabin that has room for a 3rd or 4th is 9. This is considered a superior balcony. Yes, I agree there are many inside cabins that have room for 4 as there are many ocean view.

I'm not complaining as I still got a very "happy price" but it was not possible to have "kids free" in the lowest balcony category on the Orchestra.

PS watch the Costa promotions, if they change for kids free for your dates you can call and adjust your booking as long as you haven't done your final payment. I did this last year and got a great bargain. Saved about $500.00 . Found out about it on these boards and couldn't believe it was true until I received a writen confirmation from Costa.

Hi Monicajay,

My apologies you are right. I wasn't trying to be confrontational by the way, just throwing out the hope there might be some cheaper categories available..which there are inside/outside, but as you say, not the balconies. I must admit, when I booked, I didn't check the lower balconies.

Thanks for the tip re Costa. However, I don't hold out much hope, but I will try. Here in the UK the booking process is different. Once you've paid your deposit, the price is locked in, & the deposit is lost if you cancel, change etc. We cannot transfer bookings or take advantage of price drops etc.

I've actually booked my next MSC cruise with a US agent, but strangely enough, the Costa prices for the cruise I wanted was actually higher in the US. Strange, I've never known that happen before. Even stranger, it was cheaper for me to book directly with Costa UK than with any of the UK agents..not much..but unusual none the less.

It does seem rather unfair how cruiselines have different policies and different pricing depending on where you live.

If kids are free - it shouldn't only be American and Candadian kids.:rolleyes:

Sparky1664, if you read about Costa offering kids free on your booking date you should still try to contact them.

the "free kids" fare works for everyone, indipendently where u live. it has been made since us italians always travel alltogether in the same stateroom. actually costa doesn't apply this fare in cruises that go to iceland and northcape-svalbards. it's true that not all the staterooms can host 4 people but if u 're thrre of u u can book a three beds statroom the free kids fare will be available anyway.

we booked on Poesia June 21 and got a quat cat 5 for 2800US$. The kids were a grand total of 45$. We wanted a higher category room, but nothing else was available (we booked ~3.5 months before daparture).

My parents got a cat 7 room with balcony for the same price, but this room was not available for quad booking. So my impression is that a better deal can be obtained if you do not require a quad room, but the same cat 5 for 2 people was the same price, so yes kids are really free. And, as I saw on the msc site, they do not pay gratuity if they are under 5, and half price if they are >5. Since both of our kids are under 5, we will be sailing with them for a total of 45$ since no tip will be added.

I am booked on the Lirica for Christmas and have plans to book for Easter 2009. I have an inside cabin on the Lirica. I paid regular price for me and my eldest daughter and only $47 for the youngest two. It was very affordable for me. No other cruise line could touch the price I paid for a cruise at Christmas.

Hey Rabelgirls - Yesterday I tried to book a quad stateroom on the April 4th, 2009 sailing of the Orchestra. I was told by two different TA's that all quads are ALREADY sold out! Just thought I'd share that with you in case you were planning on a quad for that sailing!

I beg to differ, Category 6, 7 and 8 do not accomodate a 3rd or 4th person. Check the deck plans. The lowest balcony cabin that has room for a 3rd or 4th is 9. This is considered a superior balcony. Yes, I agree there are many inside cabins that have room for 4 as there are many ocean view.

I'm not complaining as I still got a very "happy price" but it was not possible to have "kids free" in the lowest balcony category on the Orchestra.

PS watch the Costa promotions, if they change for kids free for your dates you can call and adjust your booking as long as you haven't done your final payment. I did this last year and got a great bargain. Saved about $500.00 . Found out about it on these boards and couldn't believe it was true until I received a writen confirmation from Costa.

Hey MONICA!

Was My posting the one that clued you into the kids sail free costa thing?

At any rate - i just booked MSC Orchestra for 4-28. I just had to return for more inquisitive punishmnet with the bargains! and OH what a bargain it is!

I have "group rates" about $50 less on an inside (total on two occupants)... and $150 less on a window, and $250 less on a low verandah. These rates are in comparison to the posted MSC web rates or the rates quoted by MSC when you call direct. You have to get a decent TA who will do the group booking - and the deal will be that you get to retain these group rates even if you don't bring the TA 8 cabins worth of PAX. If on the other hand t=you do... then YOU as group leader get a 1 in 16 rebate of the AVERAGE cabin catagory. IE... if your average cabin were a low verandah with a cruise only value of $800 - that you get $800 back! PLUS... on our sailing we have 9-12 amenity points available - varying with the number of various cabins we get (revenue based no doubt). Sometimes the amentiy points can be used for MORE CASH or cabin credits - but I think this may not be an option with MSC. SO- it's good for liquor, maybe sail away gifts - or maybe spa services and the like. Also it's good for securing private meeting space and cocktail parties for your group... or probably AV equipment usage... as my TA offerred that.

Oh yeah... and compared to Costa - MSC asks for half normal gratuities of $12/$6 per nite - while at Costa kids require NO gratuities.

Oh well.. I gottta run now - I got gymnastics with both kids in an hour so I gotta run now.

There are quad cabins still available for the 4/11 sailing of the Orchestra if anyone is interested. I called to check yeserday.

Also, if you book with a group on MSC, their deposit is usually cheaper too. I think it was $200 per cabin. Just giving everyone a heads up on that.

I tried to book a quad cabin on the Orchestra in December for a cruise in July and there were none available. Fortunately I am going with my in-laws so I put one of my kids in their cabin. It is a great deal because they actually do not charge you port fees and only taxes. On NCL you have to pay around $200 for kids under 2 who are "free".

Archived