Labadee description please

You have all been so very helpful to my original request. I now have a very clear image of the port thanks to all of the descriptions, maps and photos. Thanks for your time.

Can't wait to get there!

Personally, as I speak Haitian Creole, and my cruise will be my first time to Haiti in 24 years, I am so psyched!

I plan on doing 2 things:

1. The beach

2. The flea/straw market where I can haggle.

Personally, as I speak Haitian Creole, and my cruise will be my first time to Haiti in 24 years, I am so psyched!

I plan on doing 2 things:

1. The beach

2. The flea/straw market where I can haggle.

Wow that's interesting... I bet you will encounter some very surprised vendors!

Ha ha you may be better off just listening for a little while first, to see what they are saying to each other, that they think you can't understand!

Theron

If you select a beach on the bay side of the peninsula, facing the ship, you'll find that there are only a few rocks, and that the slope is gentle. It's perfect for swimming/wading. (We agree with what you said about CocoCay being too shallow and too rocky - Barefoot and Hidaway beaches on Labadee are not like that at all.) We wear inexpensive water shoes because we've heard about sharp coral lying beneath the sand, but never really encountered any - still, it's better to be safe than sorry. We found the beaches on the ocean side, across the peninsula from the ship, to be rougher with more sea grass, and not as conducive for swimming.

Regarding the market, note on the map that there are actually two places to shop. We dont care for the atmosphere at the Haitian Flea Market, however, there's a small building behind it that houses a fixed price Artesan's Market which carries much of the same merchandise. It's a bit more relaxing to shop there. I kind of feel guilty bargaining anyway, since these people are so poor and the few dollars I might save means nothing to me compared to what it means for them.

While were all talking about Labadee I have a question. Can you just rent a jet ski when you get off the boat and on to the beach like most other locations? Or, do you have to sign up for the excursion thru RCCL. I'm not big on jet ski excursion b/c I don't like riding at slow speeds behind a guide. I like to rent a ski at pretty much every port and go play rough. Last year the little harbor in St. Maarten had a little wind and it was a blast.

Thanks

Do they rent snorkle equipment so that you can just walk into the water if you want to rather than get dumped off in the ocean? It is hard when you are a beginner to manuever everything in the water. I thought it would be nice to try it where you can just walk into the water.

Thanks! Labadee is included in our 3/2010 PC cruise.

While were all talking about Labadee I have a question. Can you just rent a jet ski when you get off the boat and on to the beach like most other locations? Or, do you have to sign up for the excursion thru RCCL. I'm not big on jet ski excursion b/c I don't like riding at slow speeds behind a guide. I like to rent a ski at pretty much every port and go play rough. Last year the little harbor in St. Maarten had a little wind and it was a blast.

Thanks

From what I understand, anything you do in Labadee has to be arranged thru the ship, because RCCL owns/operates the entire Labadee area. I'll know for sure after I go there June 26 (yahoo!).

Right, experts?;)

From what I understand, anything you do in Labadee has to be arranged thru the ship, because RCCL owns/operates the entire Labadee area. I'll know for sure after I go there June 26 (yahoo!).

Right, experts?;)

Exactly= RCCL runs just about everything, including the food- which is free; I was a little concerned with some of the produce that was not put on ice. Pineapple is about the only thing that will not suffer in the heat there.

The Haitian Market was very clean and interesting. I have to say that the first building gave me the impression that vendors did not haggle. It was almost silent, and only one person approached me as I was looking over his goods.

The second larger "barn" as another passenger called it was the complete opposite. :mad: I was practically kidnapped by a vendor who was 'giving' me bracelets... I said no thank you about a hundred times, until it felt like the only English I spoke. My husband bargained for a few items, but after the man carved our daughter's name, he expected a "tip" - we did not give him anymore money as he had told us a carving was part of the deal to begin with. It is a culture thing, but can be uncomfortable- especially since we were caught a little off guard. I decided to shop from the outside, saw the hat I wanted- marched through the vendors inside to get to the booth I wanted. WHooo- cool hat, though!

Beyond "the barn' is a row of outdoor vendors that seemed much less anxious. I met a very nice woodcarver (you should have seen his hands!) whose goods were under the trees and the shade was quite the respite. He kindly asked for us to look at his items, and was very fair in negotiating his prices. It was a much more pleasant.

Our friends were actually approached by distant villagers on a boat while they were on jet skiis down the beach. They did not have any cash on them, but were told to take the item and a note they were to give another Haitian who would be at the docks when they returned. It was very interesting for them to buy things from someone in a canoe. The excursion guide explained that some of these villages are completely self sustained and have little other means for commerce.

To be honest, it was a little uncomfortable to visit a country in financial peril like Haiti. I hear the price of food is very high. We were told that the cruiseline employs a number of Haitians to perform general labor onboard every time a cruise ship stops there. There is also employment offered on the beach. Still it was interesting when our parasailing boat had to navigate around primitive fishing boats... quite the lifestyle contrast.

I wanted to add that if you are at all thinking about the zipline, GO FOR IT! I am usually afraid of heights, but this was not scary at all. I just had to remember not to look down. It was surreal to ride above the waves crashing beneath.

Also, I was water shoes the whole day, and although I didnt have any discomfort from sharp coral, my feet were VERY HOT. I wished I had packed my flip flops. The sun is HOT HOT HOT - wear a hat, find some shade and dont just trust the sunscreen. Also, you can easily pull your own chair if you dont have cash on hand for tipping. There were stacks and stacks of them.

The beaches are beautiful. Dont be tempted to stay close to the dock when there are so many other places to enjoy the water. If you dont have an excursion, stay to the left off the tender and keep walking. You will find many places to chill.

We did not use our snorkeling gear at all because there was too much surf. Friends who went on the snorkeling safari said the water was too cloudy to see anything cool.

Just came back from cruise, went to Labadee and could not wait to get back on ship.The beach was full of rocks and coil.My family had paid to do Zipline @ 12;30 and that took 2 hours. They enjoyed that but if we hadn't already paid for it we would have went back on ship.We had been to CoCo Key before and that was great. This was no where near as nice. There were armed men at top of zipline guarding everybody.Iwould never go back there.My advice would be to stay on ship.

Just came back from cruise, went to Labadee and could not wait to get back on ship.The beach was full of rocks and coil.My family had paid to do Zipline @ 12;30 and that took 2 hours. They enjoyed that but if we hadn't already paid for it we would have went back on ship.We had been to CoCo Key before and that was great. This was no where near as nice. There were armed men at top of zipline guarding everybody.Iwould never go back there.My advice would be to stay on ship.

How was the weather?

Haiti is experiencing food rioting in the streets and people on the other side of the chain link fence are literally starving to death, others and eating "dirt pies". Please remember this when you think the people are "pushy". They are desperate. There is another link with more information on the situation there if you search Haiti.

I might buy something it if was not all junk from China, that you can buy at any other port you are going to. Why don't they actually MAKE something. Originally straw markets sold products that were made on the islands. Everytime I go to one of these "straw markets" I LOOK for something to buy, but I can never find anything that I would have.

I might buy something it if was not all junk from China, that you can buy at any other port you are going to. Why don't they actually MAKE something. Originally straw markets sold products that were made on the islands. Everytime I go to one of these "straw markets" I LOOK for something to buy, but I can never find anything that I would have.

My guess is most if not all of what they sell there is made by Haitian artisans. Why would they import things that they have plenty of hands to make themselves. Do you know this for a fact.

Granted, I'm not into African art myself but I do have a hand carved walking stick that I purchased during a trip to Haiti in the early 90s. My dw hates it so I have to keep it in "my" room but it reminds me of my special time there. Should I look for a made in china sticker?:)

My guess is most if not all of what they sell there is made by Haitian artisans. Why would they import things that they have plenty of hands to make themselves. Do you know this for a fact.

Granted, I'm not into African art myself but I do have a hand carved walking stick that I purchased during a trip to Haiti in the early 90s. My dw hates it so I have to keep it in "my" room but it reminds me of my special time there. Should I look for a made in china sticker?:)

No that stuff is all hand made right there on the islands, I saw an article about the process shortly before I went there last year. I love the lizards that I have crawling across my kitchen walls.

No that stuff is all hand made right there on the islands, I saw an article about the process shortly before I went there last year. I love the lizards that I have crawling across my kitchen walls.

I don't need any convincing Sue. But forensic might. Hey, I see you've got a cruise planned to Venice. That's awesome. I just saw a travel show on TV last week on Venice and it looks like an awesome place to visit. Even though it sounds like a tourist trap where they even charge you a euro to use the restroom. What isn't a tourist trap?

Archived