Shore Excursions and Camp Carnival

Jen105

I really hope someone out there can help me with this. Me, my husband and our almost 3yro are going on our first cruise in August on the Carnival Destiny. Husband and I would like to do 1 shore excursion without her but no one seems to be able to tell me how Camp Carnival would handle it if 2 hours into the excursion she starts throwing a fit on the ship. Every thing I've read about camp carnival on this board and others makes it seem as though the counselors don't really try to distract or entertain a child with a little separation anxiety which will be fine we are on the ship, but what about otherwise? Will they call our cell phone? Would we even be able to leave a zipline excursion if they did? I already posted this question on the Canival website and the only response I got was not helpful at all and a little rude.

Hi! We've never left our children (not that I'm implying anything at all is wrong with doing so:)). However, in observing Camp counselors across several ships and itineraries, I think that on the whole, they do try to distract/re-direct an upset child. To be honest, if your child is one of 800 on board on a given week, they are unable to give it the same sustained effort as they could if there were many less. That said, on a port day, it is unlikely they will be anywhere near full capacity, and will likely be in the position to give your child extra one-on-one attention if a problem should arise.

Just a few thoughts that might help lessen the possibility of separation anxiety the day you want to leave her while you are in port:

Do attend the Camp meeting and at least the party afterwards in the disco - this helps the child get familiar with the counselors with you right there. We've sometimes continued the evening with the make your own sundae event, and sometimes skipped this.

If you think your child would benefit, take them to camp early the first morning for the session (before camp officially opens) when parents are able to join their child in the camp. You know your child - some are comforted by this, others do better with a clean break, without putting the idea in their head that you are able to join them (some have a hard time understanding that first little bit is the exception to the rule).

Drop your child off for just a little while the first time. Get them before they have a chance to decide they've had enough. If they aren't ready to leave, they'll be anxious to get back for more next time.

Definitely leave your child a few times before the day of your shore excursion. If he/she doesn't have a problem then, I wouldn't worry.

The only potential glitch I can see would be if your child still naps, and can't/doesn't in camp. That would have led my kids directly to melt-down central. In that event, a lot would depend on the timing of the shore excursion.

Camp will feed your child if you aren't on board for lunch.

Good luck, and have a great cruise! :D

Honestly I don't know. If you think there is any chance that she will be unhappy while you are gone then I wouldn't schedule an excursion off the ship without her.

I really would never leave a ship while my kids are on it. I know many people do, but I just can't (we had a medical emergency at sea with our youngest....changed my mind for good...lol)

Usually when people leave the kids, there is still at least a friend or family member still onboard the ship.

I do not know either what they would do if this happened. I think the other post suggestions are really on target. We have left our kids once on the the ship while we went off and did a bit of shopping- however, after thinking about it and reading through these boards, I would hesitate to leave them again. I also think that it would be rather difficult to leave an excursion as I would not be sure that there would be transportation back to the ship for individuals.

Try out the club for a few days before you go off (if that is what you decide to do), you may find your child to want to go back on not miss you as much as you are thinking!

Archived