floatation vest ?

Ms_Kalamity

My DH and I are considering tring snorkeling for the first time, and have purchased a basic set of mask/fins etc. I am blind as a bat without glasses, and can't wear contacts at this time. So I am sure that I will be tring putting an old pair of glasses within the mask. What would be the best way to temporarily attach them inside the mask? Also my DH doesn't really swim well, so we want to have the snorkle style floatation vests available to use. With that said Does RCCL rent them? We will be on Independence next March. Or will we have to purchase them also and try to pack them? Tring to save luggage space with the airline regs now.

Another option for seeing is prescription lenses in the mask. If you dive enough to make it worth while, I would definitly look into it. I had a set of -10 lenses put into my mask for about $40/lens and love them. Find a mask that fits well and has this option (probably a 2 lens mask). Check out scubatoys.com - a number of their masks list this option and I have been very happy with their sales and service. Don't be afraid to call them and ask if your prescription is available. And remember that things are magnified underwater so you would probably need a lesser power than for glasses.

I don't see how you would be able to mount glasses inside a mask. Before I had lasix surgery I used contact lenses. But your best bet will probably be a prescription mask or as the previous poster mentioned, the retrofitted type.

As for the floatation vest. I've yet to see any popular beach that didn't offer vest rental. In fact, many places require you to wear them. I'm not sure if RCI rents them on the ship but you can check with them when you board.

My DH and I are considering tring snorkeling for the first time, and have purchased a basic set of mask/fins etc. I am blind as a bat without glasses, and can't wear contacts at this time. So I am sure that I will be tring putting an old pair of glasses within the mask. What would be the best way to temporarily attach them inside the mask?

Hi,

Sorry they're right, many have attempted to glue, tape, and otherwise attach their glasses to the inside of their masks and few have been even mildly successful (you can't just wear them since the arms that go over your ears allow water to seap under the "skirt" of the mask). Prescription lenses for a mask is the best way. However, keep in mind that water magnifies 4x more than air so you may not be as blind as you think. Before you go out and purchase lenses, try going to a local pool somewhere and drop a penny in 5-6 ft. of water and see how it looks. You might find your vision will be good enough for snorkeling (make sure you put your glasses somewhere out of the water where you can find them when you get out).

Randall

Thanks to all, but if you could see how thick my glasses are you would truely understand my dilemma. Since my original post my DH took the arms (earpieces) off of his glasses and put them inside the mask, then tried it out biefly in our hot tub and it seamed to work fine. I will pray for the best and probably use my reading glasses since they are not quite as strong as my everyday glasses, just because of what you all said on the magnification thing. As for precription lenses, I would rather not get them until I have tried snorkeling the first time to make sure that I would enjoy it first.

Thanks bunches

Jane

As for precription lenses, I would rather not get them until I have tried snorkeling the first time to make sure that I would enjoy it first.

Makes sense I guess. But if you can't see you're guaranteed to not like it.:) Maybe what you've done will give you enough of a view to appreciate the experience.

We did our first snorkeling back in the 90s on our first cruise to Cozumel. Absolutely fell in love with it, especially my dw who is a nature/animal freak.

Having grown up on the Jersey shore with it's green murky water we were spellbound by the crystal clear water of the Caribbean. It was like swimming in an aquariam.

We've been back several times and just last year became certified divers.

Hope it goes well for you.

Archived